Monuments Grand Army Plaza Brooklyn Photo Tour

I consulted The Civil War Lover's Guide to New York City by Bill Morgan (Savaas) in preparing the remarks on the pictures.

Although I was aware of its purpose, never had the chance to stop and take in the Grand Army Plaza -- it was always something to get around driving on my way to somewhere else (usually work).
As a lifetime NYC resident, this thread reminded me how much can be missed when always in a hurry.
Thanks Pat for the guided tour and pics. History surrounds us, we just have to open our eyes to see it.

Mark

I just caught up on this thread and those amazing photos. I too, am a lifelong New Yorker and must admit that although I've driven past the Grand Army Plaza over the years, I never stopped to get a good look at the details. Thanks for posting and giving needed recognition to New York City's important war contributions, which unfortunately, are mostly unknown to a great majority of New Yorkers.

Although I was aware of its purpose, never had the chance to stop and take in the Grand Army Plaza -- it was always something to get around driving on my way to somewhere else (usually work).
As a lifetime NYC resident, this thread reminded me how much can be missed when always in a hurry.
Thanks Pat for the guided tour and pics. History surrounds us, we just have to open our eyes to see it.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Glad you enjoyed the pics. There is some great monumentation in NY from nationally recognized artists.

I headed back to Brooklyn today to see the Lincoln Statue in Prospect Park. I will write more about this in a separate thread, but this statue was originally in Grant Army Plaza where the Arch is today. It was erected in 1869 and was the first statue of Lincoln to be placed as a permanent public installation. Michele took the photo of me photographing the statue. You get a sense of the scale of this work:

lincoln pp2.JPG

The statue is now at nearly the opposite end of Propect Park from its original position. Here is an 1880 photo of the statue in its original position in Grand Army Plaza:

lincoln pp4.JPG

Here is a nice shot of Lincoln from Michele. You can see that Lincoln is now in a wonderfully shaded area called "Lincoln Plaza." It overlooks the park's Lake and concerts take place a few hundred feet behind Lincoln.

lincoln pp1.JPG

Here are Michele and I after six miles of walking through the park exploring its Revolutionary War and Civil War sites. It was a beautiful 85 degree sunny day. A cooling breeze came off the ocean at around 3PM, just when we were starting to overheat.

lincoln pp3.JPG

Years back, my sister had an apartment nearby. Nearby also is the Brooklyn Public Library and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. My Mom loved botanic gardens and visited many of them: She said Brookly had one of the nicest she'd seen.

Years back, my sister had an apartment nearby. Nearby also is the Brooklyn Public Library and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. My Mom loved botanic gardens and visited many of them: She said Brookly had one of the nicest she'd seen.
The park has Revolutionary War sites, a colonial era homestead, a great zoo, tennis courts, an equestrian center, an environmental studies center, lots of ball fields, a doggie beach, and dozens of statues and monuments.

Back