Grand Army of the Republic DeBords

Hi, my first post here so, Hi to everyone. I was researching Martin DeBord and was given a photo of which. I thought was him, but he is not registered with the Illinois GAR which I think started in 1866
Martin DeBord enlisted as a private in co. a, 37th illinois infantry
His son also joined Martin DeBord when he enlisted in co. a, 37th illinois infantry , but sadly died.
Here is the picture but it could just be a relative and not him. The one without a hat has been identified as him, but could be wrong.
Thanks

img116.jpg

20190607_194514.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
welcome2.jpg

Martin and John W. DeBord were both in Co. A, 37th Illinois Volunteer Infantry.

Where was Martin living post-war? He would have joined the G.A.R. Post closest to his home, regardless of what state he had served from during the war. I find Martin DeBords in Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska, and Oregon, 1880-1930 -- though not necessarily in the G.A.R.

Last edited:

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon
Regards
David

Welcome. I didn't find much about him.

Company A. Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteers. — The following are names of Mercer county soldiers who served in Company A, Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry: Capt. Lorenzo B. Morey, resigned June 3, 1865; Sergt, Henry Ketzle, discharged May 15, 1866. Privates. — Robert Blakely. discharged Oct. 4. 1864; Francis Cannon, died of wounds. April
3, 1863: John W. Debord. discharged May 15, 1866: Martin Debord. discharged Nov. 30, 1861;
"Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois," 1903, Page 675
https://archive.org/details/historicalencyc00bate/page/674

His Find a Grave entry
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/30961348/martin-debord

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)