Good Old British Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

Mmmmm we can grow rhubarb easily here.. have had the same one come back year after year.. must be about 5 years now.. and gooseberries! Take a huge amount of space for the rhubarb though.. hadn’t realised when I very first started our growing patch :bounce: even did pumpkins, wow they needed a lot of room and took over everywhere haha.. will skip the pumpkins this year for sure!

:hungry: Now that looks more than a little inviting! Rhubarb is hard to get here, and California used to be a great state for growing it. California was known for agricultural enterprises and people like Luther Burbank (beautiful downtown Burbank as Johnny Carson used to say!) developed three major varieties - Crimson Winter, Burbank Giant and Crimson Giant. These I remember - very red, tart, excellent with long, non-stringy. However, in the 1990s, 'developers' destroyed nearly all the roots and crowns putting up an industrial park. Today there are only 4 acres of rhubarb in production in the entire state of California.
Horrors! I do love Rhubarb, and my neighbor is giving me a small plant. I’m going to grab it and plant it in my front garden, in a spot that is bare currently, and gets quite a bit of sun.

:hungry: Now that looks more than a little inviting! Rhubarb is hard to get here, and California used to be a great state for growing it. California was known for agricultural enterprises and people like Luther Burbank (beautiful downtown Burbank as Johnny Carson used to say!) developed three major varieties - Crimson Winter, Burbank Giant and Crimson Giant. These I remember - very red, tart, excellent with long, non-stringy. However, in the 1990s, 'developers' destroyed nearly all the roots and crowns putting up an industrial park. Today there are only 4 acres of rhubarb in production in the entire state of California.

OK now that's just obscene. Developers have a lot of fruit and vegetable blood on their hands, this assault on rhubarb just takes the crumble. ( sorry, some idioms should just be left with sleeping dogs )

OK now that's just obscene. Developers have a lot of fruit and vegetable blood on their hands, this assault on rhubarb just takes the crumble. ( sorry, some idioms should just be left with sleeping dogs )

:twins: I'd best not tell you about his roses then... Here's a little fidget spinner - it doesn't help but it gives your hands something to do when you want to wrap them around somebody's throat who really, really deserves it! :laugh:

Back