'Gone With the Wind' Is Returning to Big Screen Theaters for the Film's 80th Anniversary 2 Days This Month!

I hope many show up in period dress around the nation to remind folks of our history instead of talking about banning it! Sheesh!
Hopefully reason will win out, although my patience is about to run out. I still think there is a large, "silent" majority that love all the history and stories of the war. There are some "foes" in the media and college campus's and large metropolitan cities.

Hopefully reason will win out, although my patience is about to run out. I still think there is a large, "silent" majority that love all the history and stories of the war. There are some "foes" in the media and college campus's and large metropolitan cities.
Sad how many feel safer being "silent" regarding history in a nation that used to pride itself on free speech

Sad how many feel safer being "silent" regarding history in a nation that used to pride itself on free speech
While not a fan of obsessive PC'ness, not sure I would attribute it all to that, in most anything theres little reason for those content to feel a need to constantly say I'm content. So whats left is the vocal whiners....the old saying the squeaky wheel gets the grease.....doesn't mean theres isn't 3 not squeaking wheels on the wagon to the one you constantly hear squeaking however...…...

I saw it tonight. It was great to see on the big screen, such an experience compared to watching it on a TV or laptop screen. There weren't very many there, ten people, maybe? Perhaps because it was a Thursday.

As far as it breaking attendance records, that does not mean a movie is well received. It means it attracted people to the theater. A modern example is the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The first two have been massively profitable movies, setting and even breaking attendance records, and just bringing in butt loads of money. The final movie is expected to be more of the same, upon its release in December. The first two movies however have been panned and just plain hated on by just about everybody. People come, because Star Wars, but it seems a great many leave disappointed. I wouldn't call those movies well received, not by a long shot.

People can still say what they want but certain views no longer meet with the approval they once had and I think pushback and lack of approval is what gets the goat of those who hold such views.

I saw it tonight. It was great to see on the big screen, such an experience compared to watching it on a TV or laptop screen. There weren't very many there, ten people, maybe? Perhaps because it was a Thursday.

That was the appeal to me, seeing it on the big screen, with an audience who appreciated the film. There might have been 30 people at the screening we went to, but the theater parking lot was pretty empty compared to weekends when most people usually go to the movies.

I think Gone With the Wind is probably 45 minutes too long, though it never drags and it never bores. It works well balancing the personal drama with the historical drama for most of the movie, but the last section narrows down to Rhett and Scarlett's relationship and the historical angle is almost lost as the personal drama takes over. There should have been some way to get to the ending a bit sooner, but I tend to think the train wreck that is Scarlett's life at the end of the movie is really the only way things could have ended, given how she's lived her life.

Some of the scenes are genuinely gripping or moving... the ladies waiting up for their husbands to get back from the "political meeting", or the long shot of all the wounded men lying in the red dirt of Atlanta, or Scarlett entering the burned out shell of Twelve Oaks and realizing that staircase is the same elegant one we saw early in the movie.

As far as it breaking attendance records, that does not mean a movie is well received. It means it attracted people to the theater. A modern example is the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The first two have been massively profitable movies, setting and even breaking attendance records, and just bringing in butt loads of money. The final movie is expected to be more of the same, upon its release in December. The first two movies however have been panned and just plain hated on by just about everybody. People come, because Star Wars, but it seems a great many leave disappointed. I wouldn't call those movies well received, not by a long shot.
My point awhile back as to "well received" was simply the book won the Pulitzer, was the best selling fiction book two years straight in 1936 and 1937, As of 2014, a harris poll found it to be the second favorite book of American readers, just behind the Bible. More than 30 million copies have been printed worldwide. Then in 1939 the film sets attendance records and 10 academy awards out of 13 nominations, and is still considered one of the greatest films of all time, not sure the need of some to suggest some lack of success or appeal it had...…..as that strikes me personally as somewhat disingenuous based on the numbers.........really find it odd to try to say it wasnt well received...if it wasnt, nothing has ever been

If someone doesn't like it, I understand they dont like it, but to try to say it wasn't well received?...……...

Last edited:
My point awhile back as to "well received" was simply the book won the Pulitzer, was the best selling fiction book two years straight in 1936 and 1937, As of 2014, a harris poll found it to be the second favorite book of American readers, just behind the Bible. More than 30 million copies have been printed worldwide. Then in 1939 the film sets attendance records and 10 academy awards out of 13 nominations, and is still considered one of the greatest films of all time, not sure the need of some to suggest some lack of success or appeal it had...…..as that strikes me personally as somewhat disingenuous based on the numbers.........really find it odd to try to say it wasnt well received...if it wasnt, nothing has ever been

If someone doesn't like it, I understand they dont like it, but to try to say it wasn't well received?...……...

I wasn't meaning to say it wasn't well received, only trying to point out the distinction between well received and profitable.

Where shall I go or what shall I do? Frankly my dear I don’t give a ****!

After a long absence, we were especially happy to go to the movies last night.
20220130_175414.jpg

Back