Golden Age of Buttons found in Vicksburg area

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
The "Golden Age" of buttons lasted from 1800-1850. In the button manufacturing process, 5 grains of gold was added to every gross of brass buttons, mixed with mercury and painted onto the buttons and baked in a furnace. Some of these buttons were plain and some had beautiful designs. They were worn on coats, vests, shirts and dresses. As diggers, we sometimes find these buttons have retained a fair amount of their original gold plating. All of these buttons were found in the Vicksburg, MS area.

jones company.jpg

This button was found in the Confederate earthworks in Vicksburg. It retains nearly all of its original finish. The backmark says Jones & Company and dates its manufacture from 1835-1840.

BenedictBarham.jpg

These buttons were found in Union camps in the city of Vicksburg. The backmark says Benedict & Barham and dates the button's manufacture from 1834-1843.

ScovillsTrebleGilt.jpg

These 2 buttons were found at a plantation site across the river from Vicksburg. The backmark says Scovills/Treble Gilt and dates its manufacture from 1840-1850.

two unnamed buttons.jpg

These 2 buttons are very decorative. The button on the left is called a "Snowflake" button. Notice how the applied gold mixture attached itself to the crevices inside the star design. The button on the right is a one piece solid brass button but has turned to a beautiful green patina.

Buttons are a fascinating study of those that lived in the 19th century. Thanks for looking!

I've never found a button. What do they normally hit on the detector. I have a couple I have bought, they ping a mid 40's on my Garrett.

@alan polk do you remember the day we were relic hunting in Vicksburg when I found that Jones & Company button? We were high on a ridge top north of downtown Vicksburg and we could see the Old Courthouse just above the tree line and the river channel as the sun was setting in the background. I think I took a photo from that hill top. If I can find it I'll post it up. Those were some good hunts in some tough terrain.

@alan polk do you remember the day we were relic hunting in Vicksburg when I found that Jones & Company button? We were high on a ridge top north of downtown Vicksburg and we could see the Old Courthouse just above the tree line and the river channel as the sun was setting in the background. I think I took a photo from that hill top. If I can find it I'll post it up. Those were some good hunts in some tough terrain.

It is a vivid memory, indeed! Please post it!

Back