Impressions Going the Mackinac Island and other Historic venues

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
My son and I are going to Mackinac Island in our 1860’s garb,,then we are going to visit the Old Mackinac Point light as well as the McGulpin light..in costume, because why not?? I will be posting pics as we have them.

I love sharing with people our impressions. There just aren’t many people out there sharing what every day life looked like in the Civil War era..and answering questions!

I am tentatively planning on going to Mackinaw City the first week in September. If I go I will be wearing modern clothing. Mackinac Island did not play a major roll in the Civil War.

My son and I are going to Mackinac Island in our 1860’s garb,,then we are going to visit the Old Mackinac Point light as well as the McGulpin light..in costume, because why not?? I will be posting pics as we have them.

I love sharing with people our impressions. There just aren’t many people out there sharing what every day life looked like in the Civil War era..and answering questions!
That sounds great . Even if there wasn't much going on at the fort , the island certainly had civilians present at the time . I think the fort was re-occupied in 1867 . I've been to McGulpin . I don't know about now , but when I was there several years ago you could climb up to the light . It wasn't very tall so I had no trouble with it despite my problem with heights .

Even without much connection to the Civil War Mackinac Island is still a great place to visit.

Even without much connection to the Civil War Mackinac Island is still a great place to visit.
Mackinac Island definitely has a connection though. When the war broke out, the fort ended up abandoned, minus a caretaker, but it was actually re-garrisoned and acted a prison for a few political prisoners in 1862. I did a write up about it in the Forgotten Forts series.

In doing so, it might just take the title of the most pleasant Civil War prison. 0% prisoner death rate where they could actually take strolls along the shore and visit other prominent features, under guard.

That said, Mackinac Island is one of my all-time favorite places. Beautiful island to fly into with a TON of history.

Know a fellow aviation aficionado that made a video about his flight up that way. Fast foward to about the 15 min mark to check out the island. Wish he got more of the fort but kind of gives a general idea of the "walks" the so-called prisoners would have gotten.

Last edited:
A few days ago some one apparently climbed Arch Rock past the warning sign and fell to his death . He was found in the morning but I haven't seen any updates .

A few days ago some one apparently climbed Arch Rock past the warning sign and fell to his death . He was found in the morning but I haven't seen any updates .
In the past people would walk across the arch. They stopped doing that quite a while ago, because the arch was being worn down by the pedestrian traffic.

Had not heard of a recent fatality. I did hear about the bomb threat on the bridge. They closed the two historic venues outsdie of Mackinac City because of it.

Edit..Detroit Free Press reports the man in his 40 was found at the bottom of arch rock, beyond the railed off portion..so..very sad for those he left behind in his life.

There is a reason why they rail stuff off..

In the past people would walk across the arch. They stopped doing that quite a while ago, because the arch was being worn down by the pedestrian traffic.

Had not heard of a recent fatality. I did hear about the bomb threat on the bridge. They closed the two historic venues outsdie of Mackinac City because of it.

Edit..Detroit Free Press reports the man in his 40 was found at the bottom of arch rock, beyond the railed off portion..so..very sad for those he left behind in his life.

There is a reason why they rail stuff off..
Latest is he left a suicide note . Very sad . A friend who shared this story with me told me one of my cousins climbed out there for a picture in the 1970s . I hope the weather is good and you enjoy your trip . Please post pictures when you get back .

Back