Stonewall Gods and Generals Speech

My favorite scenes of Jackson was during the battle of First Manassas during the early war First Manassas battle. He was still wearing a union uniform and not the gray yet. Then he finally got his new uniform, right before the battle of Antietam. I love those two scenes of him.

You are absolutely correct about that. It’s first class Neo Confederate propaganda:

Call it what you want. I enjoyed the movie and will watch it again. I'm sure in the near future they will add an introductory disclaimer to the movie that will discuss the "correct" historical context of the movie. If they add the disclaimer, that will provide me ample time to get up and fix a bag of popcorn before the movie starts.

Sure everyone hated the theatrical cut because it didn't talk about Antietam but now the directors cut came out everyone loves it and still hates Maxwell lol. I do I understand his vision. Critics didn't like it because it wasn't bloody enough and it was to long. But to him he is a director, and that antun shei films critic that hates him because he thinks that all southerns where racist, because they glorified General Stonewall Jackson for the leader that he was, it's not Confederate propaganda. That's just what he thinks.

Last edited:
Gods and Generals has one huge problem... its called Gettysburg the Movie.
I find it very odd that the filmmakers cast the same actor to play two different but very prominent roles in the two productions. Stephen Lang could never be anyone but Pickett to me. I realize actors play multiple roles and that different actors get cast in the same role in different movies (Sheen and Duvall as Lee, for instance) but I still think Lang was miscast as Stonewall.

I find it very odd that the filmmakers cast the same actor to play two different but very prominent roles in the two productions. Stephen Lang could never be anyone but Pickett to me. I realize actors play multiple roles and that different actors get cast in the same role in different movies (Sheen and Duvall as Lee, for instance) but I still think Lang was miscast as Stonewall.
Agreed. Whenever I see Lang, I see Pickett.

Lang was good as Stonewall, but the truly terrible dialogue of the movie kept me from feeling that he WAS Stonewall. The farewell speech was his best scene, though. It makes me teary because I do get the feeling there that I'm watching a man awkward with public addresses speaking from the heart.

Lang as Stonewall does it for me. His farewell to his old brigade is - cinematically - on a par with Rod Steiger's tour de force performance as Bonaparte, leavetaking of his Old Guard at the beginning of Waterloo.

Compare:-

He (Lang) is an actor capable of great nuance with the grand gesture, as per his speech, or with restrained subtlety. Watch his performance as he sits in the audience during the "Bonnie Blue Flag" routine. He is embarrassed when the chanteuse lifts her skirt to show a pretty ankle, but he realises the men are enjoying themselves, and he thinks better of spoiling the moment by showing overt disapproval. He isn't the central character of the scene, but he owns it. That's good acting.

Last edited:
No there are a lot of us out there! Don't let the few "noisy" nay-sayers drown out the silent majority.

I have the extended version of Gods and Generals and I really enjoy it. It's one of my favorites in fact.

And that speech is gold... you can really feel the emotion in the scene. It's so well performed.

I have the extended version of Gods and Generals and I really enjoy it. It's one of my favorites in fact.

And that speech is gold... you can really feel the emotion in the scene. It's so well performed.
I think any other type of movie, Lang as Stonewall should have won an Oscar, but the Motion Picture Academy will never give an Oscar to a Confederate. So instead of Oscars, Lang and Maxwell's movies (Gettysburg and G & G) will be watched 500 years from now, when all the Oscar winners from 2004 have been long forgotten.

Lang as Stonewall does it for me. His farewell to his old brigade is - cinematically - on a par with Rod Steiger's tour de force performance as Bonaparte, leavetaking of his Old Guard at the beginning of Waterloo.

Compare:-

He (Lang) is an actor capable of great nuance with the grand gesture, as per his speech, or with restrained subtlety. Watch his performance as he sits in the audience during the "Bonnie Blue Flag" routine. He is embarrassed when the chanteuse lifts her skirt to show a pretty ankle, but he realises the men are enjoying themselves, and he thinks better of spoiling the moment by showing overt disapproval. He isn't the central character of the scene, but he owns it. That's good acting.
Waterloo is on Youtube and is one of my favorites!

Back