NF Gods and Generals director's cut

Non-Fiction

1stMN

First Sergeant
Annual Winner
I know that Gods and Generals is a movie we've discussed quite a bit here on the forums. I originally saw it in theaters and once more since then because, honestly, I was disappointed.

One of our members, and I forget who, recommended I check out the director's cut...I'm glad I did. For anyone who is on the fence about G and G, I do recommend watching that version instead. Fills in a lot of gaps in my opinion.

Did anyone else feel the director's cut redeemed the film for them? I know every movie isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm curious if anyone else feels the way I do.

One of our members, and I forget who, recommended I check out the director's cut...I'm glad I did

Could have been me who recommended it...
To me it seems that the scenes that were deleted were among the best and as you said, they fill a lot of gaps.
Oh, and good that you remind me ... now that I have seen the Jackson Shrine, the house where he died in, I will have to see G&G once more (although it was not filmed there)...

now that I have seen the Jackson Shrine, the house where he died in, I will have to see G&G once more

I think part of my draw to that movie is that I'm a huge Jackson fan. Seeing any of the places in G and G or Gettysburg always lends some context :smile: Standing up on Marye's Heights looking down towards the city or standing in Devil's Den looking up at Little Round Top will always bring it home :smile:

Did anyone else feel the director's cut redeemed the film for them? I know every movie isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm curious if anyone else feels the way I do.
No, I was that way too. I like the film and the extended version does make the film longer, but it also makes it better. Same for some other director cut movies like Dances With Wolves. Once you watch the extended version I can't watch the theatrical release any longer.

I haven't seen any of it - does it contain any of the subplot with John Wilkes Booth, or was that only in the Turner TV miniseries version? (Which I also haven't seen and mainly know about from THIS: )

stonewall-books-019-jpg.jpg

I haven't seen any of it - does it contain any of the subplot with John Wilkes Booth, or was that only in the Turner TV miniseries version? (Which I also haven't seen and mainly know about from THIS: )

stonewall-books-019-jpg.jpg

The Wilkes stuff is not in the theatrical release at all. It's only in the director's cut

I know that Gods and Generals is a movie we've discussed quite a bit here on the forums. I originally saw it in theaters and once more since then because, honestly, I was disappointed.

One of our members, and I forget who, recommended I check out the director's cut...I'm glad I did. For anyone who is on the fence about G and G, I do recommend watching that version instead. Fills in a lot of gaps in my opinion.

I found the directors cut on blu-ray late last year. A friend of mine had posted on Facebook the opening scene where Duvall's Robert E. Lee turns down the command of the Union army. I was a few months into my interest in the Civil War and thought "that looks pretty good. I'd like to see that movie." Watched it, and really enjoyed it. The director's cut is the only version I've seen.

I've tried imagining what could be cut, but honestly I enjoy the vast majority of scenes and I don't mind the length of the movie at all. The two soldiers played by less than stellar actors could go and I wouldn't miss them. The scenes with Booth exist apart from the rest of the narrative, but I still enjoy seeing him evolve as he responds to the events of the war, so I would keep them. It seems odd that all mention of the Shenandoah Valley campaign and the Seven Days is omitted from the film, even though I understand that there are probably only so many battles that can be affordably filmed, but since G&G is essentially a Jackson bio, I'd like to have seen some conversation about them or something.

It seems odd that all mention of the Shenandoah Valley campaign and the Seven Days is omitted from the film

Just think how long the movie would be if they were included! :smile: But I agree, I was also surprised at their absence but even just the broad stokes landed us a 4+ hour movie. I do wish they had been included though!

As for what was cut, everything from the JW Booth storyline was not in the theatrical release. Other parts that extended scenes were omitted as well. Everything they left in for the director's cut I found helpful, I didn't say "that was worthless" really to any of it.

The basic differences is all of the Booth stuff and Antietam are not in the theatrical edition. That is the major differences

It sounds to me like Maxwell should've traded J. W. Booth for the Shenandoah and the Peninsula, especially since Booth isn't in Shaara's novel AT ALL.

The basic differences is all of the Booth stuff and Antietam are not in the theatrical edition. That is the major differences
The editing is also changed. Many of the Jackson's prayers are cut differently or simply removed.
(Jackson’s prayer at Bull Run Creek is gone)
and many changes from one screen to the next are cut sharper and faster.

This do help make the movie feel shorter despite being a good deal longer.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=401805

Back