Gods and Generals .... Again

traveller

Corporal
Gods and Generals didn't make it to the big screen around here, but fortunately I was able to see it when I was in Chicago in March. The girl at the ticket both seemed to be trying to talk people out of seeing it. She emphasized on how long it was. For some reason that didn't deter me. Now that the lineups are thinning out at the theaters, I believe the movie has been released on DVD. Has anyone seen it. What about extra footage, etc. Hoping to get mine soon. Don't know if I can wait till Xmas.

Traveller

Rick,
Don't take this as gospel but I heard while there is a version coming out on DVD now, it is not going to be one loaded with extra footage. The one with the massive extra footage isn't coming out until November or December. I can't recall where I read this so I can't attest to the veracity.

YMOS
tommy

Rick,
I too heard the 6hr version won't be out till Christmas,I believe I read it on the official G&G site.

I saw an ad this weekend on TV for the DVD of Gods and Generals, so there is one available. Whether it has any extra footage, the ad didn't say (or I didn't catch it). I think the ad was on the History Channel.

I saw the same ad again this AM. There was no mention of extra footage, or director's cut, etc. Sounds like the DVD available now is exactly what was in the theaters.

I bought the movie a couple days ago and I've watched it four times already. It is a long movie,219 minutes,but I think its worth it. Maybe I just a crazy 16 year old girl, but I think its the best movie I've seen all year. It really gives you a idea of how hard times were and why these men fought as strongly and bravely as they did.

Its the best movie I've seen this year(except X-men 2),but maybe I'm just crazy(accually I already I'm).
It really goes into detail about what the people though and why they did what they did. I loved the part the Battle of Fredricksburg when Mullbolland's Irish Brigade(USA) charges at Thomas R.R. Cross'(CSA) Irish Brigade at Marye's Heights. When Cross' Brigade notices the Irish on the other side, they stop and noticed that they were fighting thier brothers. You could see the pain in thier eyes. It was so sad.

Well,
I watched God's and General's tonight. I guess it was ok. While I admit I am a harsh critic of all movies, this one was no exception.
Seeing a bunch of pudgy rebels was hard to swallow as well as William Sanderson as the choice to play A.P. Hill. You know Sanderson, of the Larry, Daryl and Daryl fame on the Newhart show. He was Larry. Or Lippy on Lonesome Dove, or countless roles along the same lines.

Geesh....First they omit Hill entirely from "Gettysburg" then, while barely in G&G, having him protrayed by Sanderson. Poor A.P. Hill. Never gets any respect.

Another thing bugged me. The choice of Silent Night being sung at Christmas. Correct me if I am wrong but this song was not even translated into english until 1863. And then in the U.K. not the America's. Hearing it known by heart by so many rebels was a bit odd. Considering it was in 1862 and all.
Which of course immediatedly destroys my suspension of disbelief. Which is critical for me to enjoy any movie.

I won't even touch leaving out Antietum. Sigh.

YMOS
tommy

Tommy,
I thought you might have some thing to say about that A.P. Hill casting I was none to happy about the Berringger replacement myself.
I'm interested to see who will be playing Grant in LFM
Illreb

RebGirl,

Be careful about the movie being 'fact' about any of the reasons why men fought in the Civil War. Tommy is right, you need to check in the books in history and seek out the truth. Way too much in the movies are condensed, cooked, and just plain left out because of time, money or political agenda.

Enjoy your search,
Unionblue

Aye, This is true Neil. For instance, there was no "Irish Regiment" in the south. Irish yes, Irish themed flags yes. 1st Virginia was one. But no brigades, Regiments etc made up of Irish that the Union had.

We should not forget the movies were based on books of fiction. Personally I never grasped the concept of "Historical Fiction." Isn't that an oxymoron?

YMOS
tommy

Tommy,

Seems werid to me to try and figure out what historical figures actually said during a true historical moment, but, if it sells, why not? Just puts the burden of proof on us history-seeking, doubting Thomas's, eh?

Unionblue

Neil,
Oddly enough, things I am 99% sure the people actually said (or close to what they said) that I like the best, when they are uttered in a film they rarely sound real.

I am not sure why that is but if it is more than a three word utterance quoted it always sounds like acting to me. Weird huh?

YMOS
tommy

Tommy,

I have yet to see this movie, as I am waiting for the biggie, the 6 hour dude in December.

As for the stuff people actually say and ends up as movie quotes, maybe we are like Agent Fox Moulder of the 'X-Files'. "We want to believe."

Unionblue

Neil,
After watching it my advice is wait for the 6 hour version. On DVD. It has to be better. I was going to do the same but I had an urge to spoil myself after this last few months. And there just wasn't much to choose from.

After you watch the extended version please let us know all about it.

I also rented "Adaptation" which is an interesting slant on making movies from books. Almost all the characters in the movie are real. The book is real. Parts of the movie are real. To a point. It is a telling look at the hollywood process.

YMOS
tommy

I have seen Gods and Generals but, like Neil, I'm also waiting for the DVD that is due at Christmas time. I think I am going to watch it the first time alone because my husband Charlie kept telling me to be quiet. I spent most of the first time we watched it saying either "He didn't say that" or "That is out of context", "That didn't happen", "What absolute B.. S...!"

I was given the idea that perhaps duct tape over my mouth might be the answer so, for the second round, I kept my hand over "my biggest character flaw".

But if it gets here in time for Christmas Santa better make me a very happy lady!

As for historical fiction, fiction is still just that. I don't mind when they take pure fictional characters and warp them every which way, but everyone on this board won't take lightly to the creative processes of "Hollyrot" being applied to some of our idols.

As we say down South, I'll kick my own dog, but keep your **** hands off!

And Tommy, I love your disclaimer. How did you get that to appear on your post? I have yet to succeed as to a picture or a flag; I can't get the size right. But I would certainly like to have a little sally at the end of my posts! It shows Character, or my lack thereof.
LOL

Till we meet again, I am, YMOS,

Extra footage makes sense. The story wasn't very good and pardon me folks, but it was boring. Extra footage that ties the movie better together would help.

Back