1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Godfor the vulture - postbellum

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by Mike Serpa, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

ad07002v.jpg
    A Battle-field Vulture, Godfor by name–one of those inhuman creatures who follow in the wake of armies, robbing the field of blankets, clothing, turning the pockets of the dead, &c.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Barrycdog

Barrycdog Major

Mike do you do the Serpa Guides?

4. Bonny Blue Flag

Bonny Blue Flag 1st Lieutenant

He steals from the dead, probably sells what he does not need or cannot use. Be it as it may, it's a way to make a living in wartime.

Doesn't mean I condone it.

--BBF

5. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

No. I never heard of these until I read your post! I don't know anything about Serpa holsters or Serpa power lifting equipment either. Are the guides very informative?

6. Barrycdog

Barrycdog Major

7. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

8. tmh10

tmh10 Major

He still looks like a hobo ,even after the war. Im sure he is not paying for the photograph.

Sbc likes this.
  9. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Are we looking at the world's first mug shot? I am having difficulty imagining any reason for this photo except for documentation.

10. James B White

James B White Captain Trivia Game Winner

I'm guessing it was to sell, based on the heading at left, "Stereo Gems of Gettysburg Scenery." It would probably be in a large batch of stereo views, and people would look at him and think "Eww, what an evil man," with a delicious shudder, then go on to the next scene or portrait. Even in the days before LOLcats and photobombs, people still liked to look at weird, offbeat or funny stuff. :bat:

I'm curious if anyone has tried to identify him. The name "Godfor" is almost too rare to be useful, but assuming it's a mistake or miss-hearing of a mumbled name like Godfrey leaves far too many possibilities.

ErnieMac likes this.
  11. TinCan

TinCan Captain Forum Host

Would you buy a used Enfield from this guy? Only used once by a little old yankee:nah disagree:

Waterloo50 and AndyHall like this.
  12. chubachus

chubachus Sergeant

The earliest surviving mugshots are said to be daguerreotypes taken in Belgium in the early 1840's: http://benbeck.co.uk/firsts/2_The_Human_Subject/photo1h.htm

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  13. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

14. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

Just about every battlefield has its vultures, after Waterloo people would steel the teeth from the dead, the teeth fetched a good price, they would be sent back to London to make dentures, for many years dentures were known as Waterloos. Its odd really, people hate the idea of civilian souvenir hunter but they don't seem to have a problem with soldiers removing souvenirs from a dead enemy. Half of the weapons and equipment in my local military museum were removed from the dead and what about those nice civil war artefact people have mounted on their walls, where do you suppose they came from.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)