"God Didn't Choose Sides"

I believe it was probably about 2013 when I first posted the link to this music project. Needless to say, that particular link has long since expired. I recently discovered another link and thought I'd repost. I believe most even if you're not a Bluegrass & Country Music fan, (being from East Tennessee, I find it hard to believe there are such people)! :dance: I think all will enjoy the songs, most of which were written about real people and true incidents of the Civil War. There is also background info about each song and a copy of the lyrics.

The 1st song, "I'm Almost Home" deals with Confederate Captain Todd Carter, mortally wounded near his family's home during the Battle of Franklin, he was brought home to die in the same bed he was born in.

Moscow Carter.jpg

Moscow Carter (older brother of Captain Carter), survived the Battle of Franklin by sheltering with his family in the cellar of his family home. Years after the war, Moscow said in an interview, “You see this locust thicket on our right? That thicket then covered five acres, but after the fight, it was a forest of tooth-picks. In that vegetable patch to our left General Cleburne fell dead. There is nothing to indicate the exact spot, but it is within twenty yards of where we stand. The cornfield to the left of the pike was filled with dead and dying and the corn to the right of the pike was a counterpart of the other. In this yard and in that garden I could walk from fence to fence on dead bodies, mostly those of Confederates. In trying to clear up I scraped together a half bushel of brains right around the house and the whole place was dyed with blood. Nothing in the shape of horse, mule, jack nor jenny was left in the neighborhood. In fact, I remember that it was not until Christmas, twenty-five days afterward, that I was enabled to borrow a yoke of oxen and I spent the whole of that Christmas day hauling seventeen dead horses from this yard.”

The third song tells the tragic story of Jennie Wade of Gettysburg.

wesley culp.gif

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png