Gingerbread, Men and Houses

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Gingerbread can be traced to the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. It came to Europe in the 11th century when the Crusaders brought the spice back from the Middle East. Ginger became very popular in Europe.

It is said Queen Elizabeth I had the first gingerbread men made. She had the likeness of visiting dignitaries made into gingerbread men.

Gingerbread men were tied with ribbons and sold at English fairs. They became popular as tokens of love.

Gingerbread Houses became popular in Germany after the Brothers Grimm published their fairy tale, "Hansel and Gretel" in the 19th century.

Early German settlers brought the gingerbread house to America. The House caught on in America and even today they are still made at Christmastime. There are Gingerbread House shows across the country and contests as to the best house.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/crossculturaldesserts/a/gingerbread

Last edited:
I was given the idea to have a gingerbread men and houses contest for Christmas time. I think it is a great idea. So maybe some of you will make some gingerbread men and gingerbread houses and share your creations with us. Then a winner will be selected as to the men and the houses.

The winners will be selected probably Christmas week. So get making them.

A great theme for the gingerbread men would be Civil War soldiers, both the lower ranks and generals. Also maybe some could be creative and make gingerbread houses of Civil war era houses and buildings. I know this will be a more complex task than just recipes. But seems like a great idea for the holidays.

I was given the idea to have a gingerbread men and houses contest for Christmas time. I think it is a great idea. So maybe some of you will make some gingerbread men and gingerbread houses and share your creations with us. Then a winner will be selected as to the men and the houses.

The winners will be selected probably Christmas week. So get making them.

A great theme for the gingerbread men would be Civil War soldiers, both the lower ranks and generals. Also maybe some could be creative and make gingerbread houses of Civil war era houses and buildings. I know this will be a more complex task than just recipes. But seems like a great idea for the holidays.
donna, great idea. I won't be making either, but I'd love to see the pictures.

Granny's Gingerbread (recreated from old family recipe)

1 cup cane or sorghum molasses
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
3 cups all purpose flour

Beat together the first four ingredients. Dissolve the soda in the water, and add the spices. Beat well and add flour and sugar/egg/butter mixture. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Originally the concoction was said to have medicinal properties. It does make you feel good and there is nothing like the smell of gingerbread cooking.

I'm with FarawayFriend on this one. I made my girls gingerbread dough when they were young and let them roll it out, cut out the cookies, do the decorating and make the houses, etc. They had great fun - and made great messes! Those days are long gone for me but I'd love to see the creations of those who still have the ambition for it.

It is December and again time to think about gingerbread, gingerbread houses and gingerbread men and women. I see that in my area the contests for gingerbread houses has begun. Are any of you making houses this year? If so please post as I know we would all love to see them.

There is nothing like the smell of gingerbread cooking. It is one of the smells of Christmas. Happy Baking!

Originally the concoction was said to have medicinal properties. It does make you feel good and there is nothing like the smell of gingerbread cooking.
The ginger is supposed to help calm a queasy stomach. I always keep a box of ginger snap cookies on board my boat to give to anyone with a touch of seasickness.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...eingredientid=961&activeingredientname=ginger
Ginger is commonly used to treat various types of “stomach problems,” including motion sickness, morning sickness, colic, upset stomach, gas, diarrhea, nauseacaused by cancer treatment, nausea and vomiting after surgery, as well as loss of appetite.

It is time to make gingerbread houses and gingerbread men. I got gingerbread house kit for my granddaughters in N.C. They got in mail yesterday. Thought it be fun for them to make with their Mom.

Back