Gimme a head with hair! Long beautiful hair! -But is the provocative 1870 pic a "lady of the evening?" What do you think?

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
In the Victorian era, a Western woman's hair was considered an important part of her appearance. On both sides of the Atlantic, it marked her status and her femininity.
An important rite of passage for an adolescent girl during this time was the moment she began to wear her hair up. Previously it would have been worn loose or in plaits and tied up with a ribbon.
A woman's hair was worn coiled and curled in a variety of elaborate hairstyles, sometimes embellished with jewels or feathers. These changed with shifting fashions, but the hair was not cut unless absolutely necessary...
@Steph-GB
@Mrs. V
REST OF ARTICLE WITH PICS: https://mashable.com/2015/08/25/victorian-long-hair/#vZeg.RcRmPqn

In the Victorian era, a Western woman's hair was considered an important part of her appearance. On both sides of the Atlantic, it marked her status and her femininity.
An important rite of passage for an adolescent girl during this time was the moment she began to wear her hair up. Previously it would have been worn loose or in plaits and tied up with a ribbon.
A woman's hair was worn coiled and curled in a variety of elaborate hairstyles, sometimes embellished with jewels or feathers. These changed with shifting fashions, but the hair was not cut unless absolutely necessary...
@Steph-GB
@Mrs. V
REST OF ARTICLE WITH PICS: https://mashable.com/2015/08/25/victorian-long-hair/#vZeg.RcRmPqn
Thank you for the article..very interesting..all I can say is wow, that’s alot of hair!

Eat your heart out ladies.

s-l1600.jpg

"It was believed that a woman's personality could be inferred from her hair. Curly-haired women were considered to be sweeter-natured than women with straight hair."

This is true, I'm sweet as a cupcake. :biggrin:

Though I can barely manage my shoulder length hair, it's so naturally dense, fine, and curly. Hair that long would have been a nightmare! Probably even for straight haired girls.

"It was believed that a woman's personality could be inferred from her hair. Curly-haired women were considered to be sweeter-natured than women with straight hair."

This is true, I'm sweet as a cupcake. :biggrin:

Though I can barely manage my shoulder length hair, it's so naturally dense, fine, and curly. Hair that long would have been a nightmare! Probably even for straight haired girls.

Pictures!

Back