Director of Georgia Central Railroad Company​
1873 – 1876: Trustee for Independent Presbyterian Church​

Died: December 1, 1883

Place of Death: Savannah Georgia

Age at time of Death:
65 years old

Cause of Death: Valvular disease of the heart

Burial Place: North Laurel Grove Cemetery Savannah Georgia

Glad to see Gilmer included in your biographies. Gilmer did more that just "assist" in the defense of Charleston -- he was sent as Second in Command to Beauregard. Beauregard sent him to Savannah to command there for several months before he returned to Charleston. During his entire time in Charleston and Savannah, he continued to run the Engineer Bureau through frequent letters with his senior Richmond Engineer, Major/Lt Col. A. L. Rives.

Glad to see Gilmer included in your biographies. Gilmer did more that just "assist" in the defense of Charleston -- he was sent as Second in Command to Beauregard. Beauregard sent him to Savannah to command there for several months before he returned to Charleston. During his entire time in Charleston and Savannah, he continued to run the Engineer Bureau through frequent letters with his senior Richmond Engineer, Major/Lt Col. A. L. Rives.

I have visited over 500 officers graves so you would be surprised how many is yet to come. I am almost done in VA, TN, SC, and GA. I also visited the one cemetery you can only visit on certain days in New Orleans. I do profiles for every officer I have ever visited and always appreciate feed back.

I have visited over 500 officers graves so you would be surprised how many is yet to come. I am almost done in VA, TN, SC, and GA. I also visited the one cemetery you can only visit on certain days in New Orleans. I do profiles for every officer I have ever visited and always appreciate feed back.
About ten days ago, I posted the below link to my web site. Included are about 30 Confederate military officers. Please feel free to use the data I have posted in making your bios.

Biographies of Confederate Railroaders

I don’t think feedback could do any justice for the amount of time, effort and work you put in to produce these. And on top of all that, they are fantastic.

I guarantee I speak for all here, when I say impressive, awesome, appreciative, and thank you.

Georgia Southern University
Digital Commons@Georgia Southern
Savannah Biographies Special Collections at Lane Library (Armstrong)
5-24-1991

Jeremy Francis Gilmer
William B. Humphrey
Armstrong State University

This book is brought to you for free and open access by the Special Collections at Lane Library (Armstrong) at Digital Commons@Georgia Southern. It has been accepted for inclusion in Savannah Biographies by an authorized administrator of Digital Commons@Georgia Southern. For more information, please contact [email protected].

On February 23, 1818, Jeremy Francis Gilmer was born. He went to the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. He served in the United States Army from 1840 until 1861 when he resigned to join the Confederate States of America. He rose to the rank of Major General by the end of the War Between the States. After 1865, he became involved in many organizations in Savannah. He died at the age of 65 on December 1, 1883.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Attachments

• Jeremy Francis Gilmer.pdf
    377.5 KB · Views: 27
Georgia Southern University
Digital Commons@Georgia Southern
Savannah Biographies Special Collections at Lane Library (Armstrong)
5-24-1991

Jeremy Francis Gilmer
William B. Humphrey
Armstrong State University

This book is brought to you for free and open access by the Special Collections at Lane Library (Armstrong) at Digital Commons@Georgia Southern. It has been accepted for inclusion in Savannah Biographies by an authorized administrator of Digital Commons@Georgia Southern. For more information, please contact [email protected].

On February 23, 1818, Jeremy Francis Gilmer was born. He went to the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. He served in the United States Army from 1840 until 1861 when he resigned to join the Confederate States of America. He rose to the rank of Major General by the end of the War Between the States. After 1865, he became involved in many organizations in Savannah. He died at the age of 65 on December 1, 1883.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Thanks for the online reference.

That rank of Major General that he was given on August 25, 1863 was meant to be a temporary appointment but I don't see where he ever reverted back to brigadier.Except maybe when he took over as chief of the Engineering Bureau in June of 1864

My files don't have much on Gilmer but a few time and place references in 1864-65:

1/14/64 Savannah, J. F. Gilmer, Maj Gen & 2nd in Command to Gen T Jordan, Chief of Staff, Charleston-
The past two or three days have brought to light a bad state of affairs here. Among the troops stationed at the Btrys on Rose Dew Island, mouth of the Little Ogeechee River, there are at least a few men of bad spirit who have been attempting to excite the troops there & at other points around Savannah to acts of insubordination & desertion. It is to be feared even that a spirit of discontent has spread throughout the whole command at Rose Dew, extending possibly to other Co's.

3/21/64 Fort Bartow-Lt Col Pritchard of 22nd​ Ga Bn forwarding resignation of officer in his command-fwded by Gen Colston cdg Bgde-fwded by Gen Mercer cdg Dist & by Gen Gilmer cdg

4/26/64 Savannah, Gilmer issues orders-Gen Mercer is relieved from the command of the Mil. Dist of Ga, & will, as directed by the War Dept, proceed to Dalton & report to Gen Johnston, cdg Army of Tn.

4/30/64 Savannah, Gilmer cdg to AAG Charleston-for the information of the Gen cdg that the 54th, 57th, & 65rd Ga Regts have left Savannah for the Army of Tenn.
The very moment the troops returning from Fla arrived at Savannah they were sent to relieve the pickets & the garrisons at the different posts within my command, & the Co's composing the Regts ordered to march were concentrated without delay & forwarded by rail as fast as transportation could be had.
I have telegraphed Gen Patton Anderson to send forward the 64th [Ga] speedily. As soon as this Regt arrives, I will have it sent on.
The first body of Federal prisoners, 688 in number, arrived here yesterday about 3 p. m.; they were sent forward as soon as rations could be issued.
The second body arrived this morning, & it becomes necessary for me to send them in charge of the guard that accompanied the first lot from Charleston. A guard could not be supplied from the forces about Savannah without an unjustifiable exposure of important batteries.
None of the Regts ordered to Savannah from the Army of Tenn have yet arrived, not even the 5th Ga, to relieve which the 57th [Ga] was sent to Andersonville. Under these circumstances it may become necessary to send the guard that arrived here this morning from Charleston forward with any additional prisoners that may be sent here, but I will avoid this if possible.

5/18/64 McLaws was assigned by the War Dept to the Defenses of Savannah in the Dept of SC, Ga, & Fla.

5/27/64 Savannah- Gen McLaws arrived today to relieve Gen Gilmer-he does not impress me favorably & I fear we will not get along

6/3 McLaws relieved Gilmer officially

2/21/65 Richmond orders:
Par XIII. Gen Rains, chief of torpedo service, will report in person & without delay to Gen Gilmer, at the Hqs of Gen Beauregard, cdg, &c., taking with him a supply of sensitive tubes & such other articles as may be necessary in subterra & subaqueous operations. He will also take with him some competent person as an assistant.

2/23/65 Lee to President-…Gen Gilmer has arrived at Gen Beauregard's Hqs (Charlotte), & will be of much service to him.

2/23/65 Gilmer at Charlotte, Maj Gen & chief engineer to Pres Davis-In compliance with your instructions of the 20th I proceeded with dispatch to this place, & on my arrival yesterday I found Gen Beauregard here, who had just returned from the front. At our first interview he informed me that his opinion was the enemy - then near Chesterville - would press on at once to Charlotte, making it impossible for our forces to be concentrated here in sufficient strength to resist successfully, & that it would probably be necessary, in order to gain time, to fall back to Salisbury, or even to some point east of the Yadkin River.

Gen Stevenson's command, about 2,000 eff, was within one days' march of this place;
Maj-Gen Cheatham's Corps, of about the same strength, was at or near Newberry, SC;
Lt-Gen Stewart's, say 1,200, a day's march in rear of Cheatham;
& Lt-Gen Hardee'; s forces, probably at or in the vicinity of Florence.

The work of blocking roads, destroying bridges, & filling up fords, south of this place, will be pressed with vigor. The people of the country will furnish labor in abundance, with all necessary subsistence & tools. It is not improbable the enemy may go via Cheraw to Fayetteville, where supplies can be sent to him by way of the Cape Fear River, afterward to Goldsborough or Raleigh & establish a temporary base at New Berne. Should this prove to be the case, such forces as we have can be concentrated in the eastern part of this State, in time; it is hoped, to meet him.

Back