Gigantic Steamer Great Eastern's Short Career But Very Long Story

The fact that they were able to lay transatlantic cables several times in the late 1800's is an amazing technological feat!

That's what it's always seemed to me without knowing a thing about it. Thanks very much for your professional take. I mean, we hear of the laying of that cable and it's generally a line or two somewhere, " First transatlantic cable laid ", maybe a very dry description. That they literally rolled cable from giant spools alllllll the way across The Pond defeats my ability to imagine how it was accomplished. As you said, the depth alone ( did not understand it was as much as 10,000 feet! ) demanded that amount be available- times miles. Geesh.

No wonder those Tiffany souvenirs sold so well. They were a kick. In a day when entire trees under which someone famous stood vanished in aid of taking home souvenirs, Tiffany's scored big selling snips of cable.

tiffany cable2.JPG

Sadly my 1/200 scale model of Great Eastern fell victim to the high winds which picked up the window blind it was sitting behind and flung the whole lot across the room. I haven't made a final decision but it looks like a write off.

Sadly my 1/200 scale model of Great Eastern fell victim to the high winds which picked up the window blind it was sitting behind and flung the whole lot across the room. I haven't made a final decision but it looks like a write off.
You know every time I built a second version of something like that..... it always came out better than the first! : )

Considering the Great Eastern's career, that's a little eerie.

How far up did Great Eastern's bulkheads extend?

Worst person ever to answer that BUT there's an illustration that can?

great east inside edit.jpg

great east inside2 edit.jpg

It's still sitting in a big heap on the table, as I'm occupied on a commission to provide general appearance plans of some Ottoman ironclads from photographs where no plans exist.
Here is my model
img078.jpg
in it's second home, the print on the wall behind didn't survive the move, but the model did -until recently. I think I may try to cut it to waterline and mount on a piece of timber. I don't know why it has attached like this as the original is right way up !

Here is my modelin it's second home, the print on the wall behind didn't survive the move, but the model did -until recently. I think I may try to cut it to waterline and mount on a piece of timber. I don't know why it has attached like this as the original is right way up !

That was and I hope will be again, an awesome model.

Back