Ghosts in Sharpsburg

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I've been reading a book called, "Civil War Ghosts in Sharpsburg" by Mark P. Brugh and Julia Stinson Brugh.

They talk about an alley in Sharpsburg off of Mechanic Street they call "The Ghostly Confederate Soldiers' Passageway." Apparently in the lots surrounding this alleyway for one thing, the lots were used for temporary burials, but also the alley's had Confederate soldiers on sentry duties there and supposedly a lot of people have seen ghostly Confederate soldiers doing sentry duty or passing through the alley on the way to something else.

Has anyone else heard or seen anything about this?

No I haven't but I think you need to go there at midnight one night take your I-phone and findout:cold:

I have been to the battlefield and the town several times. As the town is very neat and pretty, has an excellent ice cream shop and a cafe (with a Confederate flag hanging at the door) where we ate, we only walked from the restaurant to the ice cream parlor and sat on a bench near the main intersection and enjoyed the town. Perhaps next time I will have to investigate. It seems to be a very quiet town and unlike Shepardstown across the river, has no shops to attract tourists. I believe the residents want it that way.

That would be fun !

I was posting something on Instagram from Fort Donelson this weekend and you can attach music to posts and put "Dixie" on the post. After playing it back to make sure it posted within my standards while walking the trenches I thought to myself "probably not a good idea on sacred ground" as the park was pretty vacant and I was in somewhat of a secluded area.

I've heard enough stories to not fool around.

I was posting something on Instagram from Fort Donelson this weekend and you can attach music to posts and put "Dixie" on the post. After playing it back to make sure it posted within my standards while walking the trenches I thought to myself "probably not a good idea on sacred ground" as the park was pretty vacant and I was in somewhat of a secluded area.

I've heard enough stories to not fool around.
I have been known to play the Jim Dandy version of Dixie in the woods in Shiloh at dusk .

I have been known to play the Jim Dandy version of Dixie in the woods in Shiloh at dusk .

Maybe I should try that at Perryville with "My Old Kentucky Home" since it's become one of my favorite battlefields. That said, I respect the hell out of that place and wouldn't want to press my luck. It already has a reputation of being pretty active.

Last edited:
Who ya gonna call?

I have spoken with a Civil War reenactor, who is a scientist, where I work. He spoke very seriously about mysterious happenings at Bentonville and other battle fields. He mentioned "Ghost Guns" (Not the modern rifle with no serial number) and wisps of fog that seemed to glow with figures in them. I have never seen a ghost. I just put a blanket over my head and go "NA NA NA NA NA..."

I have been to the battlefield and the town several times. As the town is very neat and pretty, has an excellent ice cream shop and a cafe (with a Confederate flag hanging at the door) where we ate, we only walked from the restaurant to the ice cream parlor and sat on a bench near the main intersection and enjoyed the town. Perhaps next time I will have to investigate. It seems to be a very quiet town and unlike Shepardstown across the river, has no shops to attract tourists. I believe the residents want it that way.
Nutter's and Captain Bender's ring a bell? Shepherdstown may even have more ghosts than Sharpsburg.

I think the book said it is Alley #1 off of Mechanic Street for anyone who lives in that area. Can anyone go check it out? Hauntings have appeared in the daytime also, not just at night.

Seems weird that Ghosts appear only on American Battlefield's their very scarce of British Battlefields.

My visit to Towton where 28,000 were dead or wounded I did not see a single ghost all i saw was cow dung and a tractor 😜 .

Last edited:
Seems weird that Ghosts appear only on American Battlefield's their very scarce of British Battlefields.

My visit to Towton where 28,000 died I did not see a single ghost all i saw was cow dung and a tractor 😜 .
Okay but the British battlefields are too packed! No room for them anymore. They’ve all moved into the Tower or other castles and great houses! :giggle:

I think the book said it is Alley #1 off of Mechanic Street for anyone who lives in that area. Can anyone go check it out? Hauntings have appeared in the daytime also, not just at nig
No I haven't but I think you need to go there at midnight one night take your I-phone and findout:cold:
Tina, I'm your Huckleberry, but can I borrow your I-phone? Mine looks like this ☎️

Last edited:
Back