Ghost in a pen

My ancestor was Andrew Ker the 8th Baron of Ferniehrist (1470-1546) they called him Dand the Black or Dand the Brave. I am William and the name William goes back to Andrews Grandfather, William and portably much farther
The name Ker can be traced back to William the Conqueror. The Ker family are the decedents of a Norman soldier whose surname was Kerre, the Ker's have both English and Scottish decedents. There would have been a lot of 'W, Ker's' in your family, you are basically French....lol :rofl:

Well the ghost of the bear gets a rematch every night at midnight. This midnight battle remains unconfirmed. I have sat twice on the top of Bear Hill at midnight and all I heard both times was the sound of beer cans opening. Perhaps a fight to the death by a ghost bear sound a bit like the pull tap of a can being pulled.

Well the ghost of the bear gets a rematch every night at midnight. This midnight battle remains unconfirmed. I have sat twice on the top of Bear Hill at midnight and all I heard both times was the sound of beer cans opening. Perhaps a fight to the death by a ghost bear sound a bit like the pull tap of a can being pulled.
I for one will leave this whole ghost bear thing to you and your French ancestors...
45438_1360040400.jpg

Those fences and railings are commonplace in older cemeteries. To some extent they reflect the prestige of the families of the deceased, because they show the financial resources of the surviving family, just as a formally constructed crypt or mausoleum would show the considerable local status of the owning family and their permanence in a local community.
Another explanation would be to prevent encroachment by cattle on to a family grave, and particularly the thought of an animal defecating on a grave.
Oh, I always thought it was to keep the ancestors from escaping!:giggle:

My family moved to Michigan in 1837 . When they arrive in an area that was unmapped wilderness and they cleared a small square where the had to build a fire at each corner and use their wagons and all their worldly goods to build a barricade every night to keep the bears and wolves from kill them or their horses. My ancestor, who I am named for, build a log cabin and crude shed for his horse but a bear wanted to kill his horse and he had to stay in shed at nights to protect his horse. My g-g-grandfather had held a grudge with the bears because the bears had repeatedly tried to break down the barricade when he first came here and he grew to hate this particular bear. One night the bear made the mistake to show up before dark.

Old Billy grabbed his flintlock with the intent to send the bear to bear heaven. Billy followed the bear and finely had a shot near the top of a very high hill. He only wounded the bear and the bear attacked him. It was fang and claw against knife. Old Billy won and the dead bear lay at his feet. But Billy was badly injured and collapsed near the bear. His brothers soon lit lanterns and after a search found him near death in the woods. They tore the door off the cabin and used it as a stretcher to carry him home. Billy was in serious shape and would gain and lose consciousness. His resourcefully brother came up with a plan to save his life, They boiled the bear into bear broth and encourage Billy to take some every time he woke up. The bear broth worked and soon Billy could eat hearty bear stew. After one week in bed Billy could finely get up and slowly recover. Billy for the rest of his life always carried his knife and slept with it under his pillow. He never knew when he might need to kill a pesky bear.

People with a strong heart can drive to Bear Hill at night and sit at the top. If the wind is blowing in the right direction and you listen very, very carefully, you can still hear the battle. Billy's spirit and the spirit of the bear refight the battle to the death every midnight on Bear Hill.
What a great family story!

My sister's husband always kept a couple of bottles of Jack at the front of his liquor cabinet and behind the Jack he kept the good stuff to give his clients they visited. So I always helped myself to the good stuff when ever I visited. He also kept $5 to $10 cigars in his cigar case. However I knew he kept $50 cigars under the cheaper cigars. I always helped myself to a $50 cigar. Come on! Life is too short to drink someone's cheap whiskey when you can just as easily drink their good whiskey. What kind of man would mooch a $10 cigar when he can mooch a $50 cigar? Might as well take a cigar with you as well.

My sister's husband always kept a couple of bottles of Jack at the front of his liquor cabinet and behind the Jack he kept the good stuff to give his clients they visited. So I always helped myself to the good stuff when ever I visited. He also kept $5 to $10 cigars in his cigar case. However I knew he kept $50 cigars under the cheaper cigars. I always helped myself to a $50 cigar. Come on! Life is too short to drink someone's cheap whiskey when you can just as easily drink their good whiskey. What kind of man would mooch a $10 cigar when he can mooch a $50 cigar? Might as well take a cigar with you as well.
I never trust anyone who hides their good booze for themselves. That is just down right mean!:whistling:

Back