GGGrandfather killed in Chancellorsville

Sapper

Cadet
I recently found out that my GGGrandfather was killed @ the Battle of Chancellorsville.
I've searched several civil war rosters and websites and could not find any matches for him.
What I know about him is that his last name was Cribbs. I do not know his 1st name. He was married to Esther Wilson and I believe that they were in the Clarion County Pa area at the start of the war.
I would like to find out his 1st name, his unit name and his place of burial.

thanks
Sapper

Attachments

• Wilson facts.jpg
    Wilson facts.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 287
There's this:
Cribbs, David, enlisted August 26, 1862, in Company F, 121st Regiment P.V.; killed at Fredericksburg December 13, 1862.

155th PVI:
Cribbs, John L., private, July 25, 1861, three years; mustered out with company July 13, 1864.

Musician John L. Cribbs, Co E, 62nd Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry "On the third day of the battle at Gettysburg, the 62d took a position on the Little Round Top extension in support of a battery. As it turned out, they were far removed from the action known as Picketts Charge, but they were prepared to face another attack at one of the key positions along the Union line. Several reports indicated that on the third day the regiment was fired upon, either from snipers or stray shots. John L. Cribbs brought back a souviner of the battle, a cane and an inkwell that he made from a tree on "Round Top" that he was sitting under when the tree and not he was hit by a bullet."

You've quite likely seen these, however.

It might be possible that Cribbs was Kribbs or Cribs, also - and forgive me for suggesting this - that he didn't so much die in the traditional sense as "became dead" to his wife, if you know what I'm driving at.

Good luck, and if I bump across anything I'll pass it along.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XII/2 [S# 16]
APPENDIX.
AUGUST 16--SEPTEMBER 2, 1862.--Campaign in Northern Virginia.
No. 4.--Confederate Roll of Honor.
GENERAL ORDERS No. 87.
ADJT. AND INSPECTOR GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Richmond, Va., December 10, 1864.
I. The following Roll of Honor is published in accordance with Paragraph I, General Orders, No. 131, 1863. It will be read to every regiment in the service at the first dress-parade after its receipt.
SECOND BATTLE OF MANASSAS.
[excerpt]
PENNSYLVANIA:
9th Reserves--Capt. James T. Shannon, died of wounds received A u-gust 30; Lieuts. Gustavus E. Menke and Alexander McCord, killed August 30.
10th Reserves.--Capt. James S. Hinchman and Lieut. Henry B. Fox, killed August 30.
11th Reserves.--Lieut. John Kuhn, died of wounds received August 30.
11th Infantry.--Lieut. Col. Thomas S. Martin, Lieuts. Greenberry R. Dalbey and James Hyndman, killed August 30; Capt. William Shanks and Lieut. Jeremiah T. Saxton, killed August 28; Capt. George A. Cribbs, died of wounds received August 30.
26th Infantry.--Capt. John F. Meekins and Lieut. David Potts, killed August 29.
46th Infantry.--Lieuts. William P. Caldwell, Samuel H. Jones, and Robert Wilson, killed August 9.
48th Infantry.--Capt. Henry A. M. Filbert, killed August 29.
83d Infantry.--Lieut. W. J. Wittich, killed August 30.
88th Infantry.--Lieut. Harry Hudson, killed August 18.
100th Infantry.---Capts. Simeon H. Brown and William F. Templeton and Lieut. Philo P. Rayen, killed August 29.
105th Infantry.--Lieut. John P. Gilbert, killed August 29.
-------------------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XX/1 [S# 29]
DECEMBER 26, 1862-JANUARY 5, 1863.--The Stone's River or Murfreesborough, Tenn., Campaign.
.[excerpt]
No. 252.--Lieut. Harvey H. Cribbs, Lumsden's (Alabama) battery.
No. 253.--Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne, C. S. Army, commanding division.
-------------------------------------------------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XX/1 [S# 29]
ALTERNATE DESIGNATIONS OF ORGANIZATIONS MENTIONED IN THIS VOLUME. (*)
Cribbs' (H. H.) Artillery. See C. L. Lumsden's Artillery.
----------------------------------------------------
Southern Historical Society Papers.
Vol. XV. Richmond, Va., January-December. 1887.
Paroles of the A.N.V.--Forney's Brigade.
Eleventh Alabama Regiment.
[excerpt]
Henry C. Cribbs,Private
===============================
M. E. Wolf

Thanks guys.
I found out that my GGGgrandfather was William Frederick Cribbs.
He was mortally wounded at Malvern Hill.
Here what I found out:

William F. Cribbs 1828-1862 (son of Sarah Jane Cribbs, 1803-1839, and John Cribbs)
Company A, 83rd Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
Private
Enlisted at Titusille, PA on 7 Aug 1861 for three years
: Capt Morgan’s Company, Col McLane’s Reg’t Pa. Infantry (later Co A, 83d PVI)
Died died 9 Jul 62 of wounds received at Malvern Hill
Compiled Military Service Record:
On file National Archives :
7 Aug 1861-1 Jul 1862 - Present with unit
1 Jul 1862 - Mortally wounded at Malvern Hill, Virginia
9 Jul 1862 - Died of wounds

Thanks again for your help.
Sapper

Back