Gettysburg's 'Witness Trees': How Civil-War era honey locust survived, shows US history

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
GETTYSBURG — This ordinary tree, old and battered, is an astonishing survivor from another age.

Maybe no other has "seen" grander strokes of American history and then lived so long to memorialize them.

This commonplace honey locust in the Soldiers' National Cemetery was a young but strong anchor during the Battle of Gettysburg.

It also became a marker to arguably the nation's most famous speech.

And, even now, it defies logic to rally on.

It is arguably the most iconic tree from the turning point of the Civil War.

Its humble existence defies its place in history: It held a key vantage point during the second day of fighting on July 2, 1863; four months later, it stood...
Rest of article - video & pics:https://www.ydr.com/story/news/hist...a-civil-war-witness-trees-history/3710969002/

Very nice article, thank you. When I walked out to pick up my morning paper from my driveway here in my quiet little neighborhood in Chambersburg, this exact article greeted me on the front page. Then I did a “search” and found your thread. This is June 26th. I suppose some good things do take a little time. Next time I drive over there I should try to take some additional time to seek out one of these trees.

Back