Gettysburg, Where Was Your Ancestor?

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Huson JPK.jpg

OK, blame Reb Forever for this thread. Another photo here just got to me as usual, not to be outdone by the real thing- which is where people's relatives were during Gettysburg. Gives me major chills every, single time- and not just my own relatives. We had one at Fairfield, my grgrgrandfather, a location containing not much more than memory but the fight there drove men's blood so deeply underground they cannot be separated in death. Trooper George Knarr, 6th US Cavalry was MIA post Fairfield. Reappeared a month later, no one knows how or why, possibly escaped after capture- perhaps wounded and left a hospital, to be expected after surviving Brandy Station.

Plum Run, where JPK Huson, 126th New York was mortally wounded, Day 2, during Barksdale's sweep, that is his photograph. Another of my grgrgrandfather's brothers Lewis of the 120th New York had been ' next door ' to the 126th, run over and flattened by the Mississippians yet survived.

It would be wonderful if members had photos or stories or both- of where they know their ancestor fought those unspeakable, History changing and bloody days.

Last edited by a moderator:
My CW ancestors were in the West during Gettysburg. One had fallen at Burnside's Bridge the 51st Pennsylvania having been one of two regiments instrumental to the taking of the bridge. The others along with the regiment participated in the Battle of Fredericksburg and the Mississippi campaign.

My gr. grandfather - the baby of the family - enlisted at age 16 in June of 1863 as the reports of Lee's army marching northward threw southeastern Pennsylvania into a panic. A regiment of green recruits, they were sent to the coal regions of Pennsylvania to assist in putting down the draft riots that had broken out there.

My CW ancestors were in the West during Gettysburg. One had fallen at Burnside's Bridge the 51st Pennsylvania having been one of two regiments instrumental to the taking of the bridge. The others along with the regiment participated in the Battle of Fredericksburg and the Mississippi campaign.

My gr. grandfather - the baby of the family - enlisted at age 16 in June of 1863 as the reports of Lee's army marching northward threw southeastern Pennsylvania into a panic. A regiment of green recruits, they were sent to the coal regions of Pennsylvania to assist in putting down the draft riots that had broken out there.

My G-Grand signed up at age 12.

Pvt.Matthew Chandler - 14th Virginia Infantry Company G of Mecklenburg County, Virginia of Armistead's Brigade - Wounded and Captured during Pickett's Charge. Wounded in the Shoulder by a Canister Ball.

Pvt.Matthew Chandler - 56th Virginia Infantry Company A of Mecklenburg County, Virginia of Garnett's Brigade - Wounded in the Shoulder during Pickett's Charge by a piece of Shrapnel that broke his scapula, while trying to climb the Emmitsburg Road Fence. Survived and returned to his own lines.

Pvt.Joseph Martin - 34th North Carolina Infantry Company D of Rowan County, North Carolina (He lived on the border of Iredell and Rowan Counties). Was part of Scale's Brigade that assaulted Seminary Ridge on July 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a good place to check past family like that? The only maybe in my family would be on my grandfather's side as he was born in 1899 but I haven't found anything yet. No good references anyway. Nobody ever spoke of it that I remember so probably not but just curios.

Is there a good place to check past family like that? The only maybe in my family would be on my grandfather's side as he was born in 1899 but I haven't found anything yet. No good references anyway. Nobody ever spoke of it that I remember so probably not but just curios.

You need to go one generation further back or maybe two. The more generations back you go, the more ancestors you will have which means more chances of finding a Civil War veteran.

I can's say for sure where my ancestors were but their regiments were there.

Pvt. Stephen F. Musselwhite 17 Mississippi Regiment, Barksdale's Brigade---- Attacked the Peach Orchard. He survivied and was later wounded at Chickamauga battle.

Pvt. Barton Pritchard, 3 Arkansas Regiment, Hood's "Texas" Brigade --- Attacked Devil's Den. He was killed on July 2nd.

{Edited to add image}
Marker for Robertson's Brigade
(aka "Hood's Texas Brigade")
at the Devil's Den

Expired Image Removed

Last edited:
With the 11th Alabama, on the far right in the Pickett Pettigrew Trimble assault.

I had family with the 11th Alabama also but the bulk of my family was fighting in the 26th Alabama.

Here is some info that can also be found in this link. http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/HQ-CSA/ANV-2-Rodes-Oneal.php

There are two monuments to O'Neal's Brigade, one northwest of Gettysburg on Oak Hill (top right) and the second southeast of town on East Confederate Avenue
The brigade was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Edward A. O'Neal of the 9th Alabama Infantry, an Alabama judge and lawyer. O'Neal had been commanding the brigade since March, when its commander, Robert Rodes, had been promoted to division command. O'Neal had been appointed brigadier general after the Battle of Chancellorsville, but Robert E. Lee had held up his apointment, which was then cancelled by President Davis.

From the Oak Hill marker:
C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell's Corps Rodes's Division
O'Neal's Brigade
3rd 5th 6th 12th 26th Alabama Infantry
July 1. Soon after arriving at this position three regiments attacked the Union flank, the 5th Regiment being ordered to guard the wide interval between the Brigade and Doles's Brigade in the valley on the left and the 3rd Regiment joining Daniel's and afterwards Ramseur's Brigade. The three regiments were repulsed with heavy loss but the entire Brigade took part in the general attack soon made by the Confederates which finally dislodged the Union forces from Seminary Ridge.
July 2. The Brigade in position all day in or near the town but not engaged.
July 3. The 5th Regiment lay in the southern borders of the town firing upon the Union artillery with their long range rifles. The other regiments moved to Culp's Hill to reinforce Johnson's Division.
July 4. Moved to Seminary Ridge. At night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1794 Killed 73 Wounded 430 Missing 193 Total 696

From the East Confederate Avenue marker:
C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell's Corps Rodes's Division
O'Neal's Brigade
3rd 5th 6th 12th 26th Alabama Infantry
July 3. After taking part in the battle of the First and Second Days elsewhere on the field the Brigade leaving the 5th Regiment on guard marched at 2 A. M. from its position in town to Culp's Hill to reinforce Johnson's Division. Arrived at daybreak and was soon under fire but not actively engaged until 8 A. M. when it advanced against breastworks on the eastern slope of the main summit of the Hill gaining there a position near the Union works and holding it under a terrific fire for three hours until withdrawn by Gen. Johnson with his entire line to the base of the hill near the creek. From thence it moved during the night to Seminary Ridge west of the town and rejoined Rodes' Division.
July 4. Occupied Seminary Ridge. Late at night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1650 Killed 73 Wounded 430 Missing 193 Total 696

For Gettysburg...

I have only just found out about this one in the last year or so. Elisha Cox was concripted into the Confederate Army in May 1863. He was placed into Company C, 26th North Carolina Infantry. His first action would have been fighting the Iron Brigade and specifically the 24th Michigan at Gettysburg on July 1st. Despite the horrible casulties inflicted on both regiments that day Elisha Cox seems to have made it through his baptism of fire...only to be wounded and captured on July 3, 1863 during Pickett's Charge. Elisha was a prisoner for about a year before being exchanged. According to what I have found thus far, after he was exchanged he returned to North Carolina and died soon after his return. Whether it was as a result from his wounds at Gettysburg his imprisonment or a combination of the two I am unsure of at this point.

Elisha Cox Headstone.jpg

Last edited:

I don't know how big your family might be but there will be someone in the family to help.Or, follow the land transfers from
the clerks office to get you started. Trace who married whom ? and the birth certificats etc.
Takes a lot of looking.

The only actual Grandfather I had there was Jackson H. Randolph of the 16th Georgia. They supported Barksdale and went through the Wheatfield.

Other than that I had 16 Uncles and Cousins spread throughout Phillips Legion, Cobbs Legion, 16th Ga, 18th Ga, and 24th Ga. of Wofford's Brigade including General Wofford himself who is a cousin.

I also had a handful more in Anderson's and Semmes' brigades in the Wheatfield.

Plus one in Gordon's and one in Dole's Brigades around Barlow's Knoll.

I had 3 Gilreath cousins in the 55th NC, one of which was killed during Pickett's (sic) Charge.
Here he is:
gil.jpg

I actually put an entire page on my site with my Gettysburg ancestors: https://sites.google.com/site/kevinwancestry/veterans-at-gettysburg

The only actual Grandfather I had there was Jackson H. Randolph of the 16th Georgia. They supported Barksdale and went through the Wheatfield.

Other than that I had 16 Uncles and Cousins spread throughout Phillips Legion, Cobbs Legion, 16th Ga, 18th Ga, and 24th Ga. of Wofford's Brigade including General Wofford himself who is a cousin.

I also had a handful more in Anderson's and Semmes' brigades in the Wheatfield.

Plus one in Gordon's and one in Dole's Brigades around Barlow's Knoll.

I had 3 Gilreath cousins in the 55th NC, one of which was killed during Pickett's (sic) Charge.
Here he is:
View attachment 41969

I actually put an entire page on my site with my Gettysburg ancestors: https://sites.google.com/site/kevinwancestry/veterans-at-gettysburg

Very Nice picture, I noticed he has the black lining on his uniform that was common with North Carolina Regiments.

My g-grand-uncle, Lawrence Daffan, was presumably pinned down under fire with the rest of the Fourth Texas Infantry after being beaten back in their assault on Little Round Top on July 2. Daffan did not leave a detailed account of that experience, but his fellow Fourth Texas soldier Val Giles did in Rags and Hope.

Back