Gettysburg, Where Was Your Ancestor?

One was helping the provost marshal guard prisoners and round up stragglers (93rd New York) and another was flanking Kemper's Brigade and then turning around to flank Wilcox's Brigade on July 3 (14th Vermont). All of my other relatives missed out on Gettysburg.

Ryan

Joseph Sivits age 17, 1st cousin 4x removed, killed in action July 1 as a member of the 142nd Pennsylvania infantry. Body never identified and likely buried with the unknowns in Gettysburg Soldiers National Cemetery.

As an aside, his cousin and my 4x great uncle Jefferson Brant was killed in action at Fredericksburg at age 27 while assaulting Marye's Heights as a member of the 133rd Pennsylvania. Body also never recovered and likely buried with the unknowns at Fredericksburg National Cemetery.

In both cases the NPS in the form of John Heiser at Gettysburg and Frank O'Reilly at Fredericksburg gave me a wealth of information relating to what likely happened to both these men such as where they probably fell and were initially buried. On my last visit to the Fredericksburg area I was able to track down Frank at Guinea's Station to personally thank him and sign my book and we ended up talking for at least an hour or more while my girlfriend patiently waited.

Pretty much every Ammerman, Boggs, and Parsons (among others) from Centre County wraps back into my family tree. These are the two I know of where they were at the time.

My 3x's Great Grandfather Joseph Ammerman
via SAC 47532264
Private, Company B, 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry. At war's end, the 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry and the 22nd Pennsylvania Cavalry were consolidated to form the 3rd Pennsylvania Provisional Cavalry. Joseph was mustered out with Company B, 3rd PA Provisional Cavalry on October 31, 1865. Born in Greene County, Pennsylvania. Filed for a pension on June 6, 1888, application number 658,527, certificate number 490,093. Wife Jemima Ammerman filed for a widow's pension on June 22, 1897, application number 657,144, certificate 453,952. Disability cited as rheumatism, unable to do manual labor in the 1890 Veteran's Census.

My understanding is this is one of his brothers. His Find A Grave has a picture of a mass grave stone not an individual.
David Ammerman
per Find A Grave:
Residence: Flemming Co, Centre Co,PA.

Enlistment Age-23. Laborer

Enlisted: Aug 11,1862 at Milesburg,PA. Private

Mustered into Co "B" 148th PA Infantry.

Listed, wounded Jul 2,1863 at Gettysburg, PA

Died of wounds at 1st Division,2nd Corps Hospital Gettysburg He was wounded in the fight for the Wheatfield, between 6:50 and 8:00 p.m. he was wounded near the present day Ayres Ave. He died at the 2nd Corps Hospital, and buried on the Jacob Schwartz's Farm. 2nd Corp Hospital was located near the end of the present day Hospital Road

Had the same story, brothers on the battlefield and the same wish to know. Guessing men at least knew their siblings were somewhere based on which Corps were there? Have you looked for diaries, letters and journals by men in your relatives' regiments? You frequently find mentions of names. I'd looked for way too many years for exact circumstances of JPK's death. A book I'd never of, written about his regiment is in Hathitrust. A woman wrote it not long after the war and included things you can't find all these years later. Sure enough she recorded what happened to him down to the time of day. There were so many books about so many regiments you never know. Try Hathitrust, LoC, Internet Archives, Google Books, Project Gutenberg and really, too many college and university collections to name.

You always sound like you've done your homework extremely well but if you could use more help maybe run up a signal flag here ( thread ). I've belonged here for awhile but never stop being amazed by our members who can find pretty much anything about anyone.

Guessing you've seen images from 2nd Corps Hospital? If not there are several around.

See signature below. Helped smash the Peach Orchard salient and drive almost to Cemetery Ridge. Survived the war.

This thread always distracts me into personal stories. Doesn't it seem just crazy as in impossible anyone survived the entire war, much less these famously bloody engagements at Gettysburg? A lot of us just shouldn't be here.

I think the thread contains posts by members whose ancestors survived ' Pickett's Charge '. Those stories get to me. Miracles.

On July 4th my ancestor was at Gettysburg. Wounded in the leg with the 11th Pennsylvania

Whoa. It's always amazing to see the connections that show up in this thread. Ancestor died Day 1, 11th PA. What day was your ancestor wounded?

It's really difficult finding information on the 11th- bless her, but with Sally part of their story you sure can't find much beyond her story ,on the 11th. I finally had the sense to ask a question about their Gettysburg here on the forum and understood it for the first time as a result.

Had the same story, brothers on the battlefield and the same wish to know. Guessing men at least knew their siblings were somewhere based on which Corps were there? Have you looked for diaries, letters and journals by men in your relatives' regiments? You frequently find mentions of names. I'd looked for way too many years for exact circumstances of JPK's death. A book I'd never of, written about his regiment is in Hathitrust. A woman wrote it not long after the war and included things you can't find all these years later. Sure enough she recorded what happened to him down to the time of day. There were so many books about so many regiments you never know. Try Hathitrust, LoC, Internet Archives, Google Books, Project Gutenberg and really, too many college and university collections to name.

You always sound like you've done your homework extremely well but if you could use more help maybe run up a signal flag here ( thread ). I've belonged here for awhile but never stop being amazed by our members who can find pretty much anything about anyone.

Guessing you've seen images from 2nd Corps Hospital? If not there are several around.

I hadn't seen the 2nd corps hospital. I'm afraid my own research has gotten side tracked doing research with the NPS. I do know there is a monument to the 18th here . South of Gettysburg on South Confederate Ave. according to the site. I just found this account of the 18th Cav and there is a rather disturbing account in it :

Kilpatrick moved early on the morning of the 4th towards Maryland, passing through Emmittsburg, and by the flank of Lee's army, striking Ewell's wagon train at midnight, near Monterey Springs, as it was crossing South Mountain. He immediately charged, scattering the train guard, captured two pieces of artillery, a thousand prisoners, and two hundred wagons and ambulances. The head of the rebel army, which was now in full retreat, was following close upon his path, and Kilpatrick was obliged to drive at a break-neck speed down the narrow mountain road, to escape with his captures, some of the wagons and ambulances loaded with the severely wounded, being overturned, and plunged with their stuffering freight headlong into the gorge below. At daylight, the foot of the mountain was reached, and the wagons, which were still-upon wheels, were driven into park at Smithfield, and burned.

Those poor men!

Post Script: The same sight has muster rolls for Cav and Infantry. I need to get home and open my tree I have so far but it looks like Some of the other brothers were with them. I know some of them are cousins. All Ammermans from that area are related in that time frame. More as I dig.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen the 2nd corps hospital. I'm afraid my own research has gotten side tracked doing research with the NPS. I do know there is a monument to the 18th here . South of Gettysburg on South Confederate Ave. according to the site. I just found this account of the 18th Cav and there is a rather disturbing account in it :

Kilpatrick moved early on the morning of the 4th towards Maryland, passing through Emmittsburg, and by the flank of Lee's army, striking Ewell's wagon train at midnight, near Monterey Springs, as it was crossing South Mountain. He immediately charged, scattering the train guard, captured two pieces of artillery, a thousand prisoners, and two hundred wagons and ambulances. The head of the rebel army, which was now in full retreat, was following close upon his path, and Kilpatrick was obliged to drive at a break-neck speed down the narrow mountain road, to escape with his captures, some of the wagons and ambulances loaded with the severely wounded, being overturned, and plunged with their stuffering freight headlong into the gorge below. At daylight, the foot of the mountain was reached, and the wagons, which were still-upon wheels, were driven into park at Smithfield, and burned.

Those poor men!

Post Script: The same sight has muster rolls for Cav and Infantry. I need to get home and open my tree I have so far but it looks like Some of the other brothers were with them. I know some of them are cousins. All Ammermans from that area are related in that time frame. More as I dig.

Our very own @Eric Wittenberg's One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, July 4-14, 1863 has a good description of the fight at Monterey Pass and Kilpatrick's actions after the battle of Gettysburg.

Ryan

My ancestor hailed from Woodville, MS, down in the southwest corner of the state. How about yours?

One family was from Panola County and one was from Attala County.

And speaking of 4th Texas and Hood's Texas brigade, I had another Uncle who was in the 3rd Arkansas and was killed on 2 July. I posted about him in an earlier post of this thread sometime last year.

TY It's in my Birthday wishlist on Amazon now. :smile:

Yes, it'd be an awesome birthday gift. Fair warning, you won't put it down until you've read it cover to cover.

Hang on, have a few images of 2nd Corp hospital taken ( I think ) two weeks post battle. There are several threads here somewhere, too. Arabella Wilson's post war book on the 126th New York contains the information it was hit during the battle, killing 2 surgeons.

second corp hospital.jpg

There's a huge tif of this, cropping it you can see wounded inside that tent, looking at the camera. Civilians may be Sanitary Commission ' agents ' or Christian Commission.

My GGGrandfather John McCullough was in the 3rd Georgia Vol. Inf. Co.A. Wounded and captured on July 2nd. Had arm amputated and died of Typhoid fever on July 27th at the Letterman Hosp. Place of burial is unknown. He is mentioned in John Hall Jrs. book Above the High Water Mark.

William Shockley Pvt. Co. C 24th Va. Inf. died Nov. 11, 1863 in Carroll County, Va. from wounds received at Gettysburg, Pa.

Battle of Gettysburg
24th Virginia Infantry
The regiment was commanded by Colonel William R. Terry, and brought 395 men to the field. It took part in Pickett’s charge on the right flank of the attacking column, taking heavy casualties from the flanking fire of the Vermont Brigade. The regiment lost 47 men killed, 83 wounded, and 33 missing or captured.

Shockleys on the 24TH VIRGINIA INFANTRY ROSTER

Shockley, John F Company C Private Private
Shockley, Martin V. B Company C 1st. Lieut. Captain
Shockley, Oliver C. Company C Private Sergeant
Shockley, R. S. Company C Private Private
Shockley, Richard Company C Private Private
Shockley, William Company C Private Private
Shockley, William H. Company I Private Sergeant

I am still researching this list of ancestors for their military records.

DSC05136.JPG

Our very own @Eric Wittenberg's One Continuous Fight: The Retreat from Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, July 4-14, 1863 has a good description of the fight at Monterey Pass and Kilpatrick's actions after the battle of Gettysburg.

Ryan
TY It's in my Birthday wishlist on Amazon now. :smile:
Yes, it'd be an awesome birthday gift. Fair warning, you won't put it down until you've read it cover to cover...
Monterey pass was one of the sites we visited during our September to Remember bus trip with Eric in 2017:

DSC05137.JPG

My 2nd great-grandfather was in the 3rd Virginia Cavalry which was with Jeb Stuart when they rode up through Pennsylvania from June 25 to July 2 when they reconnected with the Army of Northern Virginia. On July 3, most of Jeb Stuart's cavalry was engaged at East Cavalry Field although the 3rd Virginia was held back (at one point ordered to charge but countermanded) and only took a few casualties. They then accompanied the Confederate retreat and were heavily engaged in skirmishing with Union cavalry, and on the night of July 5 over a dozen were captured in an ambush.

Last edited:
Back