American87

Sergeant
I’m at Gettysburg right now. Here’s some pics I’ve been taking

92B287C7-81BA-46FD-9DD7-51020DFBB28F.jpeg
4748AAE5-579B-4BA3-AB01-294D8CBA30E7.jpeg
954987D3-5AFC-421B-93EB-0CC69BB501F1.jpeg
FA5A0B48-5487-4DFC-8B43-515764927527.jpeg
image.jpg

I was in town this past Friday! Stopped at Ernie’s for a great hot dog, rode around a bit, stopped at the PA monument, then resumed my drive.

The Pub, on the Diamond, is a favorite stop of ours, as is the Appalachian Brewing Company, on Steinwher. There is a new micro brewery near the hospital, that we stopped at, about a month ago, and it was quite good!

American87 these are some great images of Gettysburg. I am giving some thought of stopping in Gettysburg on the way to a convention in New Jersey in two weeks. A lot depends on if I have to stop by my daughters house in Dayton Ohio. If I stop at her house I would be driving fairly near to Gettysburg and might have 2 or 3 extra hours that I could spend there. I also could send the extra time stopping at antique stores along the way. At this point I am still up in the air about how to spend the extra time.

I was in town this past Friday! Stopped at Ernie’s for a great hot dog, rode around a bit, stopped at the PA monument, then resumed my drive.

The Pub, on the Diamond, is a favorite stop of ours, as is the Appalachian Brewing Company, on Steinwher. There is a new micro brewery near the hospital, that we stopped at, about a month ago, and it was quite good!

Awesome! I LOVE Appalachian Brewery, so many good memories there and I love the live music outdoors. Unfortunately it was raining today so outdoor dining and live music was out of the question, so I went to GarryOwen's Irish Pub. It was too authentic; my palate is not used to Irish food.

American87 these are some great images of Gettysburg. I am giving some thought of stopping in Gettysburg on the way to a convention in New Jersey in two weeks. A lot depends on if I have to stop by my daughters house in Dayton Ohio. If I stop at her house I would be driving fairly near to Gettysburg and might have 2 or 3 extra hours that I could spend there. I also could send the extra time stopping at antique stores along the way. At this point I am still up in the air about how to spend the extra time.

I would say stop at your Daughter's and See Gettysburg. Can't beat family time and Cemetery Ridge, imo.

I drove through once just for an hour or two and spent it smoking a cigar on Cemetery Ridge. It was a good time. Maybe the cigar is a bad habit, but definitely worth the stop.

Enjoy. It sounds like you've got a a great trip ahead of you.

Don't matter how u spend it. Gettysburg is such a beautiful serene place. Just a simple ride through the park and a few minutes on Little Round Top is worth the stop! As a 26 year veteran still wearing the uniform im still in awe at the things that were done on those 3 hot july days in 1863. The sacrifices made by both armies make me proud to wear the uniform of the United States Army.

Thanks. The cupola is a must see if you're in the area, which hopefully you are soon enough.
I believe my family visited Gettysburg in 1962. I remember Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame, and New York's Yankee Stadium when the Old-Timers' Game was played, and I got to see Joe DiMaggio. But I can't remember the battlefield at all. I was eight years old.
Lubliner.

I believe my family visited Gettysburg in 1962. I remember Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame, and New York's Yankee Stadium when the Old-Timers' Game was played, and I got to see Joe DiMaggio. But I can't remember the battlefield at all. I was eight years old.
Lubliner.

Funny how that works.

I took a field trip to Gettysburg in 8th grade, and I remember just one moment from the Battlefield. And one moment hanging out with my friends at a fast food restaurant. I couldn't even tell you about that one moment, other than it felt late in the day, and the tour guide was saying something.

I love Gettysburg; it's my favorite Civil War spot. But if you're a Southerner, I have to admit the Southern spots feel more like home to them, from what it seems to me. I usually feel "on the other side" visiting Southern sites, even if its just the locals there with their Southern accents or anti-Lincoln/Yankee diatribes.

All beautiful shots. I didn't know you could get in the cupola. ... now I'm hungry. Thanks for posting.

The cupola was the best, in a way. You can get up there now, but it was closed for I believe decades while the building housed the Adams County Historical Society. I'm not sure; I wasn't paying close attention to that part of the tour, I just wanted to get up in the cupola.

DE18F76B-2A7C-4E20-936F-79131B0F60D9.jpeg

^^view of the north end of Devils Den, as seen from the Sedgwick statue. There was a NY batter here, but I don’t know what else^^
018C4C0D-2330-41F8-AE7F-EC73B43C58F6.jpeg
4D3CACFF-FDEE-4E79-A6C7-63F26554A1D2.jpeg

^^Two views of The Angle at Dusk^^
820B4EC5-59D5-435A-88A5-0BCF58D13D44.jpeg

1BC8E494-1256-424A-A66C-A76399E481F3.jpeg

^^Dinosaur Track Fossil at Dinosaur Bridge, near LRT^^
B9562526-41E1-40C4-A00C-5984E131273A.jpeg

^^Bronze cannon, unoxidized, apparently from 1862^^
F0EB1A32-7AB0-4D87-B736-CF4F20BA7344.jpeg

^^Meade statue, on Cemetery Ridge^^
BF5E5683-A95E-44C1-AFCE-C8F719F95002.jpeg

^^Meade’s Headquarters Building^^