Gettysburg weekend of 5/15

Me too. I trekked from Longstreet's tower all the way to the left flank of the 20th Maine's position. There was a good deal of knee-high grass before the Emmitsburg Road, and only one tick...that I caught.

I've emerged from some bushes only to find a week later a sense of fatigue and a bullseye rash on my back/side. Lyme disease is no joke, but still funny. Haha.
That's a pretty good hike and I have also walked through the fields, but always with Deet sprayed up to my knees. I'm not one to find Lyme's disease being funny in any way.😳

Wont disagree but when we go up its me plus 5 which makes it expensive. I have done the museum which is awesome in its own right.

Ok, I agree with you there. Yes, the museum was quite interesting. I usually avoid museums, because how many muskets and mine balls can a man see, when the battlefield is right there, and which is more important to me.

But the museum in this case was quite interesting, particularly the dioramas of the wounded.

American87 these are some great images of Gettysburg. I am giving some thought of stopping in Gettysburg on the way to a convention in New Jersey in two weeks. A lot depends on if I have to stop by my daughters house in Dayton Ohio. If I stop at her house I would be driving fairly near to Gettysburg and might have 2 or 3 extra hours that I could spend there. I also could send the extra time stopping at antique stores along the way. At this point I am still up in the air about how to spend the extra time.
I will be out there June 2-4.

Permethrin is great at taking care of ticks. You just spray it on your clothing . Ticks can be really bad at Gettysburg in the summer .
I might have to get Deet, thank you, it never occurred to me before.
If you use Deet, make sure it's at least 25%. The 10% Deet sprays are okay for mosquitoes, but do not repel ticks. I also tried permethrin, which also works very well. I finally decided to stay with Deet because it's okay if it gets on your skin and therefore more convenient. You must be careful to not allow permethrin on your skin. Therefore you must spray your clothes before you put them on.

If you use Deet, make sure it's at least 25%. The 10% Deet sprays are okay for mosquitoes, but do not repel ticks. I also tried permethrin, which also works very well. I finally decided to stay with Deet because it's okay if it gets on your skin and therefore more convenient. You must be careful to not allow permethrin on your skin. Therefore you must spray your clothes before you put them on.
I'm from outside of Pittsburgh and spend nearly every day I can in the woods. Permethrin is my go to for a base layer and then I'll use Off! Deep woods as a backup spray on when I get ready to go out.

Thanks. I'll have to do my own research and see which is better. The Permethrin may not work as I like to wear shorts.

It will work on the clothing for ticks that are in high grass. It impregnates the fibers of the clothes. You can walk next to a tree and one fall of and land on your shoulders. Every piece of my hunting gear gets soaked in it.

It will work on the clothing for ticks that are in high grass. It impregnates the fibers of the clothes. You can walk next to a tree and one fall of and land on your shoulders. Every piece of my hunting gear gets soaked in it.

Well I hope it doesn't impregnate my clothes, I don't know how many clothes I can take care of Haha.

But yeah I'll look into it, thank you.

Back