I’m at Gettysburg right now. Here’s some pics I’ve been taking

92B287C7-81BA-46FD-9DD7-51020DFBB28F.jpeg
4748AAE5-579B-4BA3-AB01-294D8CBA30E7.jpeg
954987D3-5AFC-421B-93EB-0CC69BB501F1.jpeg
FA5A0B48-5487-4DFC-8B43-515764927527.jpeg
image.jpg

Tony Z

Private
I was in town this past Friday! Stopped at Ernie’s for a great hot dog, rode around a bit, stopped at the PA monument, then resumed my drive.

The Pub, on the Diamond, is a favorite stop of ours, as is the Appalachian Brewing Company, on Steinwher. There is a new micro brewery near the hospital, that we stopped at, about a month ago, and it was quite good!

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
American87 these are some great images of Gettysburg. I am giving some thought of stopping in Gettysburg on the way to a convention in New Jersey in two weeks. A lot depends on if I have to stop by my daughters house in Dayton Ohio. If I stop at her house I would be driving fairly near to Gettysburg and might have 2 or 3 extra hours that I could spend there. I also could send the extra time stopping at antique stores along the way. At this point I am still up in the air about how to spend the extra time.

American87

Sergeant
I was in town this past Friday! Stopped at Ernie’s for a great hot dog, rode around a bit, stopped at the PA monument, then resumed my drive.

The Pub, on the Diamond, is a favorite stop of ours, as is the Appalachian Brewing Company, on Steinwher. There is a new micro brewery near the hospital, that we stopped at, about a month ago, and it was quite good!

Awesome! I LOVE Appalachian Brewery, so many good memories there and I love the live music outdoors. Unfortunately it was raining today so outdoor dining and live music was out of the question, so I went to GarryOwen's Irish Pub. It was too authentic; my palate is not used to Irish food.

American87

Sergeant
American87 these are some great images of Gettysburg. I am giving some thought of stopping in Gettysburg on the way to a convention in New Jersey in two weeks. A lot depends on if I have to stop by my daughters house in Dayton Ohio. If I stop at her house I would be driving fairly near to Gettysburg and might have 2 or 3 extra hours that I could spend there. I also could send the extra time stopping at antique stores along the way. At this point I am still up in the air about how to spend the extra time.

I would say stop at your Daughter's and See Gettysburg. Can't beat family time and Cemetery Ridge, imo.

I drove through once just for an hour or two and spent it smoking a cigar on Cemetery Ridge. It was a good time. Maybe the cigar is a bad habit, but definitely worth the stop.

Enjoy. It sounds like you've got a a great trip ahead of you.

Don't matter how u spend it. Gettysburg is such a beautiful serene place. Just a simple ride through the park and a few minutes on Little Round Top is worth the stop! As a 26 year veteran still wearing the uniform im still in awe at the things that were done on those 3 hot july days in 1863. The sacrifices made by both armies make me proud to wear the uniform of the United States Army.

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
Thanks. The cupola is a must see if you're in the area, which hopefully you are soon enough.
I believe my family visited Gettysburg in 1962. I remember Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame, and New York's Yankee Stadium when the Old-Timers' Game was played, and I got to see Joe DiMaggio. But I can't remember the battlefield at all. I was eight years old.
Lubliner.

American87

Sergeant
I believe my family visited Gettysburg in 1962. I remember Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame, and New York's Yankee Stadium when the Old-Timers' Game was played, and I got to see Joe DiMaggio. But I can't remember the battlefield at all. I was eight years old.
Lubliner.

Funny how that works.

I took a field trip to Gettysburg in 8th grade, and I remember just one moment from the Battlefield. And one moment hanging out with my friends at a fast food restaurant. I couldn't even tell you about that one moment, other than it felt late in the day, and the tour guide was saying something.

I love Gettysburg; it's my favorite Civil War spot. But if you're a Southerner, I have to admit the Southern spots feel more like home to them, from what it seems to me. I usually feel "on the other side" visiting Southern sites, even if its just the locals there with their Southern accents or anti-Lincoln/Yankee diatribes.

American87

Sergeant
All beautiful shots. I didn't know you could get in the cupola. ... now I'm hungry. Thanks for posting.

The cupola was the best, in a way. You can get up there now, but it was closed for I believe decades while the building housed the Adams County Historical Society. I'm not sure; I wasn't paying close attention to that part of the tour, I just wanted to get up in the cupola.

American87

Sergeant
DE18F76B-2A7C-4E20-936F-79131B0F60D9.jpeg

^^view of the north end of Devils Den, as seen from the Sedgwick statue. There was a NY batter here, but I don’t know what else^^
018C4C0D-2330-41F8-AE7F-EC73B43C58F6.jpeg
4D3CACFF-FDEE-4E79-A6C7-63F26554A1D2.jpeg

^^Two views of The Angle at Dusk^^
820B4EC5-59D5-435A-88A5-0BCF58D13D44.jpeg

1BC8E494-1256-424A-A66C-A76399E481F3.jpeg

^^Dinosaur Track Fossil at Dinosaur Bridge, near LRT^^
B9562526-41E1-40C4-A00C-5984E131273A.jpeg

^^Bronze cannon, unoxidized, apparently from 1862^^
F0EB1A32-7AB0-4D87-B736-CF4F20BA7344.jpeg

^^Meade statue, on Cemetery Ridge^^
BF5E5683-A95E-44C1-AFCE-C8F719F95002.jpeg

^^Meade’s Headquarters Building^^