Gettysburg vs. Wilderness Troop Strengths

Kinda my point, and i had been looking for that exact info. The first corps was the only one of the three corps that was really below its Gettysburg numbers and alot of that had to do with the fact it fought much more intensely throughout the fall of 1863, not giving itself a chance to recover. I think the division and brigade commanders goight extremely well at the Wilderness. Hills decision not to entrench was the one major gaffe in the army really during that battle. But when you couple the losses at Wilderness with the constant fighting and losses at Spotsylvania, and the fact Lee was given a chance to replenish his forces and his edge began to falter after that, but that's also a two edged sword. The AoP also was losing its offensive edge as well.

You remind me of ssomething I wanted to make sure got pointed out:
Keep in mind, Hood's/Field's and McLaws'/Kershaw's divisions also fought a major battle at Chickamauga where 5 of the 9 brigades of those combined divisions were heavily engaged. In addition, they further saw casualties in small battles in the early Chattanooga Campaign and in East Tennessee.
Looking at David Powell's tables for Chickamauga (from the third book in his trilogy), I can compile this brigade strength tabulation:

1st Corps (Hood): 14711 men; 24 guns
Law: 7685

Benning: 1200
Robertson: 1300
Sheffield/Perry: 1457
G. T. Anderson: 1728
Jenkins: 2000
McLaws: 6522

Humphreys: 1226
Kershaw: 1596
Bryan: 1500
Wofford: 2200
E. P. Alexander's Artillery Battalion: 504 men, 24 guns
Also interesting to see how quickly McLaws divison came back to pre Gettysburg numbers. Hoods seems larger but that's obviously because odd addition of Jenkins. It was harder I think to recruit that division especially the Texas brigade. Im guessing by third point in war it was hard to hey recruits from Texas to Virginia.

Also interesting to see how quickly McLaws divison came back to pre Gettysburg numbers. Hoods seems larger but that's obviously because odd addition of Jenkins. It was harder I think to recruit that division especially the Texas brigade. Im guessing by third point in war it was hard to hey recruits from Texas to Virginia.
Just as a point of reference for units that were not immediately in the Eastern Theater for the recruitment pool...the 2nd Mississippi had recruited fully 97.9% of it's 1,888 total enrollment by the end of March, 1862. After taking losses later in the war, the only replenishment came from returning detailed, furloughed, wounded, sick, and captured members. The very last recruit (in the records at any rate), joined the regiment on September 1, 1864.

Back