Gettysburg Trip report October 2017

Reagan and Baltimore are the most straight forward for driving to Gettysburg. I actually flew into Dulles as the flight was direct from Dublin but didn't pick a car up from here as it is too far out from DC Downtown and the driving route isn't as straight forward. I could also fly direct to Baltimore, I don't know of any direct flights to Harrisburg, maybe you could fly to one of the major east coast hubs and pick up an internal flight from there.

I don't know of any direct flights to Harrisburg, maybe you could fly to one of the major east coast hubs and pick up an internal flight from there.

There are many shuttle flights into KMDT (Harrisburg 'International' Airport) from all the big majors on the East Coast. If your stay is focused around the central and southcentral areas of Pennsylvania, by all means, pay the extra money and add the quick hop to your itinerary. If not and you also wish to visit people / places / things in the Balto-Wash DC area, don't bother. The time difference between Harrisburg and BWI airports to Gettysburg is only 20 minutes.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

A "Return to Gettysburg" is on my bucket list.

You are from OZ, sir? It takes you longer to fly here than the entire Gettysburg battle took to fight! Just kidding...but only just...if you make this flight, you should get the CWT IP award. (Iron Posterior). As the Yardbirds once sang..."Mister, you're a better man than I..."

Cheers!
USS ALASKA

I thought I'd share two humorous stories from my trip which both happened around the Little Round Top. A lady was quite convinced that the soil is red there due to all the blood that was split over 150 years ago. This was actually closer to the Devil's Den if memory serves.

A young boy(under 10) was looking at the monument to those who died from the 20th Maine and was confused by what Co A, Co B, Co F etc meant, he asked his dad 'Are they like grades?' I just stopped myself from bursting out laughing but I guess it sorta made sense to his world of school and grades. Full credit to his Dad who correctly figured out that they were companies.

You are from OZ, sir? It takes you longer to fly here than the entire Gettysburg battle took to fight! Just kidding...but only just...if you make this flight, you should get the CWT IP award. (Iron Posterior). As the Yardbirds once sang..."Mister, you're a better man than I..."

Cheers!
USS ALASKA
I've flown over there many times. Used to live there in the 80s and our son now lives there. Imagine if we have American grandchildren!

It is about a 30 hour door to door trip to NYC or Pittsburgh. Came over for the Gettysburg CWT trip last year and that's why I want to get back there. Also the Bucket List includes play golf at Pebble Beach again.

Back