Gettysburg third day - preview of animated map showing battle for Culp's Hill

johncla

Corporal
Here is a link to the preview page of an animated map of the 3rd day of the battle of Gettysburg. Eventually the map will cover the third day from start to finish. The battle for Culp's Hill began the third day, so that's where the story begins.

When the map opens I assume you'll be looking at the top left corner and will need to SCROLL DOWN AND RIGHT TO FIND CULP’S HILL. When you find it, click Start.

The action started at daybreak. Harry Pfanz tells us it was about 430am. The blue rectangles are union brigades, grey are Confederate brigades. My coverage has some limitations:
  • The battle is shown at at a brigade level. Actions by individual regiments or by groups of regiments that make up half of a brigade or less are ignored. So for example Colgrove’s attack, 2 regiments of a 5-regiment brigade, is ignored.
  • Each brigade is shown with the same size and shape rectangle. A big brigade is the same size rectangle as a small brigade.
  • I’m also ignoring whether brigades were concentrated or dispersed. So for example, Candy’s brigade at Culp’s Hill was dispersed along the defensive line, but I show it as a single rectangle, at a location which seems to be that brigade’s “center of gravity”.
Click on a rectangle and a popup will appear telling you which brigade the rectangle represents. You can also select divisions or individual brigades so that they appear in red, green or black. For more information see one of the preview videos for the day one and two maps, listed on this page<link>:

The documentation on Culp’s Hill tends to be spotty and contradictory, so I’ve got some questions. These questions are in a separate post, following this post.

This is a work in progress. I'll upload new versions to the 'preview' address above. Updates may be announced, but maybe not. If you have questions or comments I’m sure you'll let me know!

Great. You even got Shaler's brigade coming in from the south. I assume that you will eventually include some kind of fast forward control? It would be nice to jump to points in time.

Outstanding. So much better than my attempt at using Java Leaflet. I must ask what software/package did you use?

It's all JavaScript and HTML, also using a JavaScript library called EaselJS which helps with the graphics.

(This project is the result of three intersecting interests: maps, JavaScript, and Gettysburg. I'm scratching three itches at once!)

Back