HF Gettysburg the Movie

Historical-Fiction

I've always been fond of this scene. Mostly because my father is in it, & clearly visible a few times.
Very cool. Did I pick him out correctly?

Screenshot_20210625-115220_Samsung Internet.jpg

Personally I liked the Buford scenes on Day 1 the most. It was a bit Shakespearean for sure, but I always found Buford's role the most appealing in a romantic sort of way, and the most heroic. On the contrary, I did not like Day 3 as much. Particularly, I was shook by the horrible cheesy editing when Picket tells Lee he has no division - it felt so out of place the way it zoomed in on their faces and sort of froze, that it shatters the third wall for me every time.
This scene is hard for me to watch. I actually find it the worst scene of the movie lol... probably because as you stated: "Shakespearean". I also am impressed with Buford's role on Day 1... just wish it didn't seem so "scripted".

It's so funny how I actually like the scene of Pickett saying: "General Lee, I have no division". Different strokes for different folks. But appreciate your post.

Only time of the year I exclude viewing it, is 7/1 through 7/3! Why? Well, for those of us that live in PA and are not in Gettysburg, PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) broadcasts the NPS Battlewalks continuously and shortly after they occur!
I don't know what the NPS Battlewalks are, but they sound good!

No question that Stephen Lang's performance in GnG was excellent! He is a fine actor, but IMO his portrayal is nothing like what is historically depicted regarding the personality of Gn. TJ Jackson.
The trouble with any portrayal of Jackson is that he seems to have been almost two separate personalities, as later attested to by his widow Anna. Away from any sort of "official" duties, whether as professor or military commander, he seems to have relapsed into a mild, unassuming aspect that was foreign to anyone who only saw his "professional" side. That would present almost any actor with a problem trying to balance such a performance in a believable way.

The open with Buford is very good. I though Sam was excellent. Loved him writing his report letter to Reynolds.

The open with Longstreet , Harrison and Moxley is excellent acting. The way Longstreet studies Harrisons face and Harrisons assured cockiness is excellent. Sorell's condescending spirit toward Harrison and his sucking up to Longrstreet makes him seem like a pampered aristocrat.

The worse actor was Martin Sheen. What a total disappointment. Who coached him on his southern accent? Simply awful.
Agreed Sheen was the worst. I felt sick every time he appeared. Poor casting in my humble opinion.

The trouble with any portrayal of Jackson is that he seems to have been almost two separate personalities, as later attested to by his widow Anna. Away from any sort of "official" duties, whether as professor or military commander, he seems to have relapsed into a mild, unassuming aspect that was foreign to anyone who only saw his "professional" side. That would present almost any actor with a problem trying to balance such a performance in a believable way.
You nailed it, but they didn't really even try to show the two personifications of Jackson in the movie. If you didn't know that Jackson was the superstar general of the CSA you would have walked right by him and not even noticed. Hunched shoulders, long limbs and feet, head looking down, quiet... basically an introverts introvert. But put him on the field of battle leading men and he became a ferocious lion, eyes ablaze, relentless pursuit of the enemy... but at the same time maintaining an even and calm composure. Jackson considered himself to be a crusader, an instrument at the hands of God, leading God's army in to battle to destroy His enemies. They could have done much more with his character in the movie.

I don't know what the NPS Battlewalks are, but they sound good!

@Booklady,

Here is a link to the battlewalk site:

https://pcntv.com/gettysburg/

National Park Service rangers have been battlewalks for a number of years. These are tailored to an individual aspect of the Gettysburg battle and are recorded on the site where the topic took place.

Pennsylvania Cable Network sometimes video tapes these battlewalks and, in the late 1990's and early 2000's, had them for sale as DVDs on the above web site. Maybe they still are available as DVDs. A few were offered for purchase as digital downloads.

Apparently they are now available by subscription at the online web site.

It literally is though you are a visitor accompanying a licensed battlefield guide on on of these topic tours.

Each is an hour or more in length; the camera focus is on the NPS narration.

My only negative is I wish the camera would pan around more to show the terrain.

I enjoy them tremendously as it probably is as close as I'll get to the Gettysburg battlefield now.

I've learned an enormous amount about the battle from watching them.

The NPS guides do a fantastic job.

Many of these are also available for free on YouTube.

@Booklady,

Here is a link to the battlewalk site:

https://pcntv.com/gettysburg/

National Park Service rangers have been battlewalks for a number of years. These are tailored to an individual aspect of the Gettysburg battle and are recorded on the site where the topic took place.

Pennsylvania Cable Network sometimes video tapes these battlewalks and, in the late 1990's and early 2000's, had them for sale as DVDs on the above web site. Maybe they still are available as DVDs. A few were offered for purchase as digital downloads.

Apparently they are now available by subscription at the online web site.

It literally is though you are a visitor accompanying a licensed battlefield guide on on of these topic tours.

Each is an hour or more in length; the camera focus is on the NPS narration.

My only negative is I wish the camera would pan around more to show the terrain.

I enjoy them tremendously as it probably is as close as I'll get to the Gettysburg battlefield now.

I've learned an enormous amount about the battle from watching them.

The NPS guides do a fantastic job.

Many of these are also available for free on YouTube.
In addition, the walks are timed to the time of occurrence during the battle. I’ve been on a number of them through the years, and one of the most worthwhile endeavors of the NPS!

I'm watching the movie again, maybe for the 100th time? Why can't I change how it ended? Lol When I was in Gettysburg 2 weeks ago, I made a new friend with one of the park rangers. He loves the South and Lee, just as I do. He's leading a battlefield walk on
July 3, with PIckett. Guess who will be with him that day? Stephen Lang! I'd give anything to be there with him.

Hey James N. Please write more ( or tell me where I can read up) about Anna's attestation that Jackson had almost two personalities. I think that is a big insight and I never heard of this. Thanks for bringing it forward.

Hey James N. Please write more ( or tell me where I can read up) about Anna's attestation that Jackson had almost two personalities. I think that is a big insight and I never heard of this. Thanks for bringing it forward.
I must confess that I have never read Anna's memoir, but I'm referring in part to her opinion concerning his two wartime portraits that I mentioned in my thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/thomas-jonathan-jackson-in-photographs.114081/

Concerning them, she thought the favorite among his former soldiers known generally as the Chancellorsville photograph was too stern-looking (a breeze was blowing in his face at the time it was taken), preferring instead the Winchester photograph which she thought captured the gentler home-look he exhibited around her. (Unfortunately I don't remember her exact quote.)

Last edited:
I must confess that I have never read Anna's memoir, but I'm referring in part to her opinion concerning his two wartime portraits that I mentioned in my thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/thomas-jonathan-jackson-in-photographs.114081/

Concerning them, she thought the favorite among his former soldiers known generally as the Chancellorsville photograph was too stern-looking (a breeze was blowing in his face at the time it was taken), preferring instead the Winchester photograph which she thought captured the gentler home-look he exhibited around her. (Unfortunately I don't remember her exact quote.)
Many thanks! That helps.

Back