HF Gettysburg the Movie

Historical-Fiction
The discussion above reminds me of a minor but somewhat interesting coincidence, in my opinion anyway. The actor portraying General Hancock in the movie under discussion was Brian Mallon, and if my memory serves me correctly, the Colonel of one of Hancock's regiments, the 42nd. New York, the "Tammany Hall Regiment", was also named Mallon.

John

Correct. James E. Mallon was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in Company K, 40th New York on August 6, 1861 at age 24. He was promoted to 1st Lt. on September 15, 1861 and adjutant on December 3, 1861. He transferred to Company A on April 9, 1862 before being mustered out to become the major of the 42nd New York on August 2, 1862. Mallon was promoted to colonel on March 17, 1863 and led the regiment at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. He was killed in action at Bristoe Station on October 4, 1863.

Ryan

@rpkennedy I am going to try to find a photo of him on the internet. I don't believe I've ever seen one. They now have one of the most unique statues on the field of Gettysburg.

John

For most films, the scenes excluded from the final film but included in the "director's cut" are usually pretty bland or outright bad. After all, they were cut for a reason. But for Gettysburg, there was a need to reduce it from broadcast mini-series length to something that they could get into a movie theater (albeit four hours long still!). So some of the cut scenes are actually very good.

In the final version, when Major Taylor greets General Lee in the morning, the scene was cut in such a way that when Lee salutes Taylor, Taylor DOES NOT RETURN THE SALUTE and immediately starts talking about flapjacks! How disrespectful! I remember thinking it was weird even when I saw the movie in the theater way back in 1993 ("Hey, that staff officer dude is treating his commander officer with contempt!"). Of course, in the director's cut, Taylor does return the salute and show utter deference to Lee.

Interestingly enough, I've heard that many film critics consider the director's cut to the Crusades-era film Kingdom of Heaven to be the best of all time. The final version of the film is pretty good. The director's cut is worthy of the Academy Award for Best Picture. Alas.
I was a big fan of Kingdom of Heaven when it came out but it was clear that things were cut for time purposes. I have the directors cut on Blu ray and it’s an even better movie. Very underrated with a very good cast

Back