HF Gettysburg the Movie

Historical-Fiction
Word was they didn't make the movie of the third book because GODS AND GENERALS was a flop at the Theaters and did not make a profit.
Was at a book signing with Jeff Shaara and he was asked when will they be making the third movie. Jeff just laughed and said not after God and Generals!

Last edited:
A memento from the movie Gettysburg, signed photo of Tom Berenger as Gen. Longsteet. It was given to Col. Sam Floca who passed away not too long ago. Sam was a technical advisor on the movie.

20210610_095542.jpg

I always believed that Garnett was the only officer in the attack on horseback. In the movie there were many more including Kemper. Does any one the true account?
There were 16 men known to have been mounted during the attack.

Major General George E. Pickett
Major Charles Pickett, Division Adjutant General
Captain Edward R. Baird, ADC to General Pickett
Captain Robert A. Bright, ADC to General Pickett
Lt. W. Stuart Symington, ADC to General Pickett
Private Thomas R. Friend, courier for General Pickett
Brigadier General James L. Kemper (wounded, left behind when the army retreated)
Captain T.G. Pollock, Brigade Inspector General (killed)
Lt. George E. Geiger, ADC to General Kemper (wounded, captured, and died 2 weeks later)
Captain William T. Fry, Brigade Adjutant General
Private George Walker, orderly for General Kemper
Colonel Lewis B. Williams, 1st Virginia (killed when he was shot off of his horse and possibly fell upon his own sword)
Brigadier General Richard B. Garnett (killed)
Lt. John S. Jones, ADC to General Garnett (wounded)
Private Robert Irvine, courier for General Garnett (horse killed from under him)
Colonel Eppa Hunton, 8th Virginia (wounded)

Ryan

Thanks for the information. If Kemper and Garnett were mounted, why wasn't Armistead?

Pickett ordered that regimental field and staff officers would be dismounted in order to preserve their lives but also those of the horses. For example, when the division was reforming to begin the advance, Captain Bright approached Colonel Lewis Williams who was in the process of mounting his horse. When Bright reminded Williams about the orders, Williams responded that he was riding because of wounds that he received at Williamsburg and that he was ill. As for Eppa Hunton, I don't know that I've seen why he rode other than he may have been thinking that he might have had to retake command from General Garnett (Hunton and others noted that he really wasn't in condition to make the attack and for sure could not walk that far).

Like Hunton, there really isn't much written as to why Armistead felt it necessary to walk rather than ride. Perhaps he felt that walking in front of his men with his hat on his sword was enough to get them to follow him. He does seem to have led from the front so this idea doesn't seem out of left field.

Ryan

I absolutely LOVE the movie and yes, I too have the Director's cut. My favorite thoughts:
1. Martin Sheen was fabulous as Lee! Much better than Duval - my own opinion.
2. I kept hoping that Lee's orders to Ewell on day one would be followed and the South would win the battle in one day.
3. The exchange between Lee and Stuart on the evening of day 2 was a tear jerker. I know it's not known for sure what was said but let us not forget how close the two men were; like Father and Son.
4. The moment that Sheen (Lee) rode out among the reenanctors (soldiers) and the soldiers all erupted in cheers for Sheen. So glad it was captured and made part of the movie! Very emotional to watch. Never forget how much the Confederate troops LOVED Lee! That was very moving to see. No Union soldier ever felt that way about Meade or Grant....
5. The beginning of Pickett's charge when all those brave Southern men along with Lo Armistead advanced across the field. That too was very emotional to watch and sad to see. Lee was rolling the dice (against Longstreet's wishes I might add) and hoping one more good charge and fight would win the day, the battle and the South might finally win their independence. Oh too bad, OHHH TOO BAD said General Lee when it was over.

Has anyone on this forum had a chance to actually visit the Gettysburg battlefield, the visitors center and gotten to know any of the 7 fulltime park rangers? WOW! That's a fabulous experience I just learned last week.... Most of the rangers favor the North but a couple have Southern leanings. Considering how we all feel different about the war, it's causes and the way we look at the ending, that's not surprising. Also, if you would like a personalized auto tour of the battlefield, something I did in the cool spring of last year, 2020, you'll be amazed how much you'll learn when you have a licensed guide personally meet you in the parking lot of the visitor's center, drive your car and take you around the complete battlefield. It'll cost around $100 not including tip and takes 2 - 3 hours. But boy is it worth it! However, don't go in the heat of the summer. Try and do it in the fall or in the spring. You'll thank me later!

Has anyone on this forum had a chance to actually visit the Gettysburg battlefield, the visitors center and gotten to know any of the 7 fulltime park rangers? WOW! That's a fabulous experience I just learned last week.... Most of the rangers favor the North but a couple have Southern leanings. Considering how we all feel different about the war, it's causes and the way we look at the ending, that's not surprising. Also, if you would like a personalized auto tour of the battlefield, something I did in the cool spring of last year, 2020, you'll be amazed how much you'll learn when you have a licensed guide personally meet you in the parking lot of the visitor's center, drive your car and take you around the complete battlefield. It'll cost around $100 not including tip and takes 2 - 3 hours. But boy is it worth it! However, don't go in the heat of the summer. Try and do it in the fall or in the spring. You'll thank me later!
You had a LBG guide drive your car in spring of 2020? I thought that they had stopped tours in March when the pandemic hit. Later that summer when they again started tours, you had to follow their car with your car. I don't know when they will return to the normal procedure.

Last edited:
I am probably in the minority, but I did not particularly care for the scene with Lee being cheered by his men. I thought it slowed down the film's pacing. The last time I watched Gettysburg, I fast forwarded through that scene.

Favorite scene for me was the Union troops chanting "Fredericksburg" at the conclusion of the grand charge.

I enjoyed the portrayal of Hancock myself. Wish they could have spent more time on him.

All in all my favorite civil war movie of all time. The first civil war movie I am aware that made some attempt at portraying battle as it was.

I was able to attend a showing of the movie in Baltimore when it first came out that was attended by Martin Sheen, who made a few remarks and had some interaction with the other spectators. Came off as quite a nice guy, modest and self denigrating.

John

YES, we had a licensed guide meet us in the parking lot! I will never forget it. It was the very day the Governor of PA shut the state down due to Covid. Once our tour was over, we headed out of state, drove to Lorton, VA and took the Auto Train home to Florida. It was quite an experience!

The discussion above reminds me of a minor but somewhat interesting coincidence, in my opinion anyway. The actor portraying General Hancock in the movie under discussion was Brian Mallon, and if my memory serves me correctly, the Colonel of one of Hancock's regiments, the 42nd. New York, the "Tammany Hall Regiment", was also named Mallon.

John

Back