HF Gettysburg the Movie

Historical-Fiction
Interestingly enough, I've heard that many film critics consider the director's cut to the Crusades-era film Kingdom of Heaven to be the best of all time. The final version of the film is pretty good. The director's cut is worthy of the Academy Award for Best Picture. Alas.
Ridley Scott's director's cuts are excellent. Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven. The man knows what he wants and knows quality.

Ryan

Stephen Lang is an accomplished actor, and as Pickett in Gettysburg he was fantastic... but I don't think he was the right person for Gn. TJ Jackson, the right personality... if Gods n Generals could have cut out some of the fluff and showed more action, maybe with someone like Jon Voight as Stonewall, it could have come out much better.

Stephen Lang is an accomplished actor, and as Pickett in Gettysburg he was fantastic... but I don't think he was the right person for Gn. TJ Jackson, the right personality... if Gods n Generals could have cut out some of the fluff and showed more action, maybe with someone like Jon Voight as Stonewall, it could have come out much better.

I must respectfully disagree. I thought Lang's performance as Jackson was one of the few redeeming features of Gods and Generals.

The scene after the planning of Pickett's Charge, when Longstreet, full of foreboding, looks up to Pickett on horseback and says "George, can you take that ridge?" - and Pickett, totally confident, starts grinning from ear to ear.

The Confederate tragedy in a nutshell.
Strong metaphor for the entire Confederate endeavor. Perfect in personality as well. I never thought of that scene that way but it’s quite fitting.

Back