HF Gettysburg the Movie

Historical-Fiction

TSJ

Private
What is your favorite scene from the movie Gettysburg?

954DE922-E024-4BAE-BB05-A29E2B31F9A9.png
954DE922-E024-4BAE-BB05-A29E2B31F9A9.png
26FCEEDC-E767-422F-A5F0-D292806FD8E3.png
Mine is the Confederate cannonade

I love the scene with Buford and Devin about his vision of defeat if the enemy get the high ground. I think Sam Elliott did a fine job in the role of Buford overall. Its hard to pick just one in such a great movie but that's one that came to mind. I'm watching the directors cut in high definition on and off at the moment its a great version of the movie.

My favorite scene is the U.S. Army defending Culp's Hill. Powerful acting....

Bill
Are you thinking about a different location? I'm sure that the battle for Culp's Hill is not part of the movie GETTYSBURG. Culp's Hill didn't make it into Shaara's novel KILLER ANGELS and therefore did not make it in to the film.

Mark A

What is your favorite scene from the movie Gettysburg?

View attachment 402942View attachment 402942View attachment 402943 Mine is the Confederate cannonade
It's not such an easy question to answer because the best scenes in "Gettysburg" were about equally good in my opinion. But I'll go with Day 1 which is always an interesting part of the battlefield to visit for me and was believably portrayed in the film. If you were Buford's Cavalry standing on McPherson's ridge that had to be a white knuckler when you came to realize that this was an entire Confederate division approaching from Cashtown. Very honorable mention to likely the most popular scene, yes Little Round Top. The portrayal of the 20th Maine is sort of like a movie within a movie and so watchable, great job by Jeff Daniels. While the 20th Maine is the star of the show, in more recent times more of us have come to understand and appreciate that the Michigan, New York and Pennsylvania regiments put up a very big fight as well.

Bill

I love the scene with Buford and Devin about his vision of defeat if the enemy get the high ground. I think Sam Elliott did a fine job in the role of Buford overall. Its hard to pick just one in such a great movie but that's one that came to mind. I'm watching the directors cut in high definition on and off at the moment its a great version of the movie.

I think Elliot, a limited actor, was particularly bad in that scene and was chewing the scenery. Maybe it was bad direction; Maxwell was a terrible director, like Ed Wood with a budget but lacking Wood's charm and quirkiness.

Elliot certainly rode well though.

On the side note that Buford's brigade commanders were both Irish--Gamble was a greenhorn (from Ireland) and Devin was a narrowback (first generation born in America).

I think Elliot, a limited actor, was particularly bad in that scene and was chewing the scenery. Maybe it was bad direction; Maxwell was a terrible director, like Ed Wood with a budget but lacking Wood's charm and quirkiness.

On the side note that Buford's brigade commanders were both Irish--Gamble was a greenhorn (from Ireland) and Devin was a narrowback (first generation born in America).
I would agree, and this possibly the only scene in the movie, that I found sub-par. I thought Elliot "over-acted" and the language was not conversational or fluid.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

It's a toss up between 2 - one a major scene and the other is some minor action in the background....

1. The start of the artillery at picketts charge - fire up the surround sound to full volume and enjoy...

2. - ok, it's a little strange, but at the end where the Chamberlain brothers meet, if you watch the background, you see someone walking up to a wounded horse, pulling out a pistol and shooting it. Don't know if that was scripted or if an extra just ad-lib'd it and they left it in.

2. - ok, it's a little strange, but at the end where the Chamberlain brothers meet, if you watch the background, you see someone walking up to a wounded horse, pulling out a pistol and shooting it. Don't know if that was scripted or if an extra just ad-lib'd it and they left it in.

That's lifted right from the post Antietam scene in Glory.

Back