Gettysburg the Movie

Grant's Tomb

Corporal
Stephen Lang is an accomplished actor, and as Pickett in Gettysburg he was fantastic... but I don't think he was the right person for Gn. TJ Jackson, the right personality... if Gods n Generals could have cut out some of the fluff and showed more action, maybe with someone like Jon Voight as Stonewall, it could have come out much better.
In the 2007 ESPN miniseries the Bronx is Burning based off Jonathan Mahler's book about the 1977 Yankees team and the turmoil in NYC with the blackout, the fiscal crisis and the Son of Sam murders, Lang did a great job of portraying Inspector Timothy Dowd in charge of the special detective operation to hunt down David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam. Another Gettysburg and Gods and Generals alumnus Kevin Conway was in that miniseries as well as Yankees president Gabe Paul who disagreed with Steinbrenner (Oliver Platt) over firing Billy Martin.

Last edited:

Grant's Tomb

Corporal
I must respectfully disagree. I thought Lang's performance as Jackson was one of the few redeeming features of Gods and Generals.
And both Jackson and Pickett graduated from West Point in the class of 1846. Jackson ranked 17th and Pickett ranked last. But I'm not sure if they were acquainted with each other at the Academy or in Mexico or even during the war before Jackson died after he was wounded at Chancellorsville. In the chapter of the first book of the North and South trilogy, both Jackson and Pickett are new cadets with the fictional characters of Orry Main and George Hazard and they introduce themselves to them. But it says that Pickett had struck up a conversation with Jackson and regretted it because Jackson was a bit awkward and quiet and also because Pickett was from Richmond and Jackson was from Clarksburg in the mountainous region of the state that later became West Virginia.

Grant's Tomb

Corporal
When Irish in government take care of themselves and their friends it's called corruption. When influential WASPs take care of themselves and their friends it's called good government.
Before the war, Daniel Sickles was involved with Tammany Hall

In the 2007 ESPN miniseries the Bronx is Burning based off Jonathan Mahler's book about the 1977 Yankees team and the turmoil in NYC with the blackout, the fiscal crisis and the Son of Sam murders, Lang did a great job of portraying Inspector Timothy Dowd in charge of the special detective operation to hunt down David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam. Another Gettysburg and Gods and Generals alumnus Kevin Conway was in that miniseries as well as Yankees president Gabe Paul who disagreed with Steinbrenner (Oliver Platt) over firing Billy Martin.
Grant's Tomb:

Stephen Lang is a native Noo Yawka and a darned good actor, underrated I would argue. Not to get too far off topic but he was also really good in "Public Enemies." Great job as George Pickett in Gettysburg. On You Tube more recently he has been doing some readings and it's well worth watching.

Bill