Gettysburg Super Walmart

These stories remind of when people here were up in arms about a proposed hog confinement, I was asked to sign some silly petition and refused and the idiot asked me "how would you like someone building a hog confinement across the road from your house"...….I replied "that's why I own the land the land across the road from my house"...……

Don't want someone else doing something with it.....then buy it yourself.

The current area is on Camp Letterman, but the vista has already been damaged beyond repair

There are some things more important than "vistas", esp. as far as Hallowed Ground is concerned...

The "vista" around Lee's HQs was also "damaged beyond repair" up to a couple years ago.

There are some things more important than "vistas", esp. as far as Hallowed Ground is concerned...

The "vista" around Lee's HQs was also "damaged beyond repair" up to a couple years ago.
Hardly a fair comparison based on the development (6 hotels, 3 shopping centers, an apartment complex, a gas station and a large grocery store Vs 1 hotel and a brew pub). Development continues on that side of town (North), whereas it is relatively quiet to the West.

Hindsight is 2020, but it would have made sense to have built all of this East of Rte 15, but that did not happen...…...

Hardly a fair comparison based on the development (6 hotels, 3 shopping centers, an apartment complex, a gas station and a large grocery store Vs 1 hotel and a brew pub). Development continues on that side of town (North), whereas it is relatively quiet to the West.

Hindsight is 2020, but it would have made sense to have built all of this East of Rte 15, but that did not happen...…...

Two words: Eminent domain :wink:

In my book, Gettysburg should get the Harper's Ferry treatment, because it is way more important in the history of this country than Harper's Ferry.

But it is all politics...

The Walmart is going across the street from the current one, actually behind another shopping center, so the "vista" has already been ruined. The only issue that I have is if it encroaches on Benner's Hill or the Daniel Lady Farm.

This reminded me of another thread in which you posted a google map of the location in question. And I thought it would be helpful to repost it here so all may be able to get a better idea of the property involved. If I understand correctly the new Wal-Mart would be built to the right of the Giant and the left of Starbucks.

upload_2017-9-22_10-55-13-png.png

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ci...-on-baltimore-pike.123580/page-3#post-1656278

The "people" of the town may NOW (I'm sure the originals who moved there back in the day did) have no reverence to American history ..doesn't make them correct in voting for it. They have the "right" to move elsewhere since the battlefield was there many generations before they were! Ignoring historical sites is not "progress" it's ignorance of the past...like the Middle East blowing up museums and sacred sites under the guise of war. We know better now as Americans. Hey...the Liberty Bell is cracked let's just throw it out.
if we preserved every battlefield of the last 3,000 years in europe we'd hardly find space to built an outhouse

Looks like a planned traffic circle at 30 and Hunterstown Rd. It also shows a realignment of Huntertstown Rd for a perpendicular approach to Rt30.

EJ is the map I copied from Package4 basically correct?
Actually expand it more towards G-burg itself. The center of the plan map is located behind Ren Kirby and Auto Zone. The planned new road (will be directly across Rt 30 from Hunterstown Rd) looks to go directly between those two businesses. It continues in a big arc and then connects to the service road for both the Super 8 and Quality Inn.
Interesting as my wife is shopping in that Giant Food Store on the map right now, lol.

Last edited:
A spur will come off the new road directly behind the Super 8 and connect to existing Natural Springs Road at Robert Custis Drive.

Back