Gettysburg Soldier Possibly Identified?

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
Iron_Brigade_7th_Wisconsin_Group.jpg

Company I 7th Wisconsin
The Cannoneer by Augustus Buell - July 4 , 1863 walking the Gettysburg battlefield - members of Battery B 4th US Light Artillery - serving with the Iron Brigade

"We found one who must have been killed at the first skirmish line of the Iron Brigade in the morning, as he was close to the bank of the creek, in the most advanced position occupied by our infantry. The Rebels had taken most of the clothing off his body, but left a letter by him which they had taken out of his pocket. They had secured the letter by laying a small stone on it, and it enabled us to identify him surely.

The letter was from some relative in Waukesha, Wis., and from its date must have been received in the last mail before the battle. It told, among other things, of the news that had been received at the Wisconsin home of another relative killed in Grant's operations prior to the siege of Vicksburg. Truly, we thought, this must be an afflicted family.

The name on the envelope was " C. A. Warren, Co. E, 7th Wis."

Trying to locate this soldier, I am unable to find a C A Warren in Company E of the 7th Wisconsin. But this was a soldier story where the author had no motive to be untrue - so what gives? Time to do some research.

While there is no C. A. Warren in the 7th Wisconsin, there was a Carlos A Waring in Company E 7th Wisconsin, who was killed on July 1, 1863. He is found in the Westfield, Marquette, Wisconsin 1860 census as a 17 year old, in the household of Hamlet D Waring.

Looking for other WI Waring’s who died during the Civil War, I found a Captain Charles M Waring, 30 years of age in the Centre, Lafayette, Wisconsin who died February 16, 1863 of disease in Memphis, TN. Charles was a captain in Company E, 23rd Wisconsin Infantry.

These may or may not be the men mentioned by this artilleryman in his book, but the clues given and those in the book, tend to fit. I am unable to determine the relationship between these two men, if any, but they were both born in New York.
586px-Gettysburg_Day1_1000.png

If you a descendant of a Waring, there is another Waring that I posted a thread on -
George E Waring Jr - and I am not a descendant

Thank you for the heads up. It's a shame the content of his work is suspect. It was one of the best books I have reviewed so far, with some well written accounts.
Yeah, it's too bad, but apparently he knew or interviewed several veterans of the battery and evidently based his writings off of their experiences. So it's to be taken with a grain of salt, but some stories like this one could still be true, taken word for word from someone who was actually there. If that was the case here then perhaps someone just incorrectly remembered or recorded the name Waring as Warren.

Back