Gettysburg relics

Beltplate53

Corporal
2013-10-10 23.35.53.png
These are my Gettysburg relics courtesy of The Horse Soldier. Two dropped, two fired minnies and a puppy paw belt plate. The minnies were found around the high water mark of Pickett's charge. All were part of the Rosensteel collection that now makes up the National Park collection.

View attachment 21789 These are my Gettysburg relics courtesy of The Horse Soldier. Two dropped, two fired minnies and a puppy paw belt plate. The minnies were found around the high water mark of Pickett's charge. All were part of the Rosensteel collection that now makes up the National Park collection.

Very Nice relics, especially coming from G'burg.

Very nice I have looked my self but alas no luck but your find will keep me going back I wonder how much is still out there its like looking for Gold one never knows do one

Many years ago in Gettysburg there you used to be a relic dealer called Sword & Saber run by John Pannick. I purchased several items from him including this gem (about 1985). Its a 19mm general service button found on private property in the Culp's Hill area. According to him it was dug in a trash pit.

Now the cool part. The button still (as you will notice from the picture) has a small bit of Federal uniform attached to it. And another really cool part is I owned this button for almost 30 years and I never really cleaned the dirt off the back. I was concerned about disturbing the piece of uniform. The thing is there was so much dirt cached on the back you couldn't see if it had a backmark or not. I decided to check after all these years and lo and behold...there was in fact a backmark. Scovill MFG. co, Waterbury RMDC. All these years and I never knew!

GS Button Front.jpg

GS Button Back.jpg

Very nice I have looked my self but alas no luck but your find will keep me going back I wonder how much is still out there its like looking for Gold one never knows do one

You do understand that it is illegal to dig for relics in a national military park, don't you?

Dave

I also have a 12lb Borman fused artillery shell from Fredricksburg, a nice breast plate from Rocky Face, Ga., and some carbine bullets from the battle of Stones River. I like plates and cannon balls.

Last edited:
You do understand that it is illegal to dig for relics in a national military park, don't you?

Dave

Heck it's practically illegal to even look down at the ground these days at major military parks.
That being said..Gettysburg's landscape has changed so often and has been combed over so much since July 4th 1863 that very VERY rarely does anything turn up anymore. You're certainly not going to eyeball ANYTHING anywhere remotely near the major destinations on that field.

Heck it's practically illegal to even look down at the ground these days at major military parks.
That being said..Gettysburg's landscape has changed so often and has been combed over so much since July 4th 1863 that very VERY rarely does anything turn up anymore. You're certainly not going to eyeball ANYTHING anywhere remotely near the major destinations on that field.
Many still try.

While it is illegal to detect for relics in the National Parks, much of the battlefields' grounds are on private property! With permission, you can recover these relics. Estimates are that only 10%-15% have been recovered! Good hunting!:smile coffee:

Ok, so who with an interst in the battle has never looked on the ground at Gettysburg hoping to find a bullet or something?
Probably everyone...however GOOD LUCK eyeballing anything on the NPS property. The ground has been changed and turned over and searched and hunted for 150 years.
Plus, again, the NPS frowns upon you even 'looking down' these days.

As a side note there is a nice lady named Ms Betty who does ghost tours on the battlefield and has her tour group carry some sort of electron magnet counter thing that is supposed to detect "you know...them there spirit presences"... and many a time new(er) park employees will hurry out to the group thinking they are swinging detectors :frantic:

Back