Gettysburg photo of wife and "friend"

Tractorboy1

Cadet
kallt1.jpg

I took this photo of fiance in Gettysburg in May of 1998. I used a throw away camera in use at the time, one that is basically a cardboard box with 24 exposures you buy in a grocery store, then take it for the photos to be developed. You get the photos and the box is thrown away. This was in the 13 of the 24 exposures. There was no visible smoke or fog when I took it, and the white smoke came out on the negative so there was an energy there that the camera picked up on. If you look to the left, you can see the white "ecto" on the shutter and bricks above the door, along with swirling in front of her and the thick part to the right, none of which was visible.

I think it was a small light leak in the camera itself, or, as JOHN42768 theorized, bad developing chemistry. However, your version DEFINITELY makes a better story, so I think you should stick with your version! Welcome.

Cheers, I have no idea what it is.

I respect the opinions of John and Patrick and certainly don't claim enough knowledge to dispute your posts. I will say, however, I took the photo and negatives into a Kodak lab when I received the pictures and they did not say anything about faulty developing, and were perplexed as to how it was on the negative. For what it is worth.

Thanks much for the welcome Patrick!

Last edited:
My experiences with light leaks have produced a lot different results. I would not say it was chemicals either, or a lot of photos developed that day would have been ruined. I used to shoot, develop and print both black and white and color films. This is to include slides or any other type of film. If processing or photography problems had effected the whole roll, then I could believe it was the processes involved, but one photo on a roll, no it is something else. I would tend to believe in a paranormal or supernatural element. I have seen other ghost or paranormal photography. Some are very hard to disprove, while others have a real explanation. When you cannot explain it, is when you really have to think of what you are looking at. I think it is a great photograph that defies conventional thinking and answers. I like it, and I believe it falls into the unexplained category.

Yes, I stopped scoffing at photos after not being able to explain a few. Not many, in all the trips there but enough. Have a weird camera relationship with the 126th New York monument. Oh, and Sach's Bridge.

One trip, 3 different cameras stopped working. 3, one of them new.

Back