Gettysburg, Pa. Three Confederate prisoners

photojacker

Cadet
KAAPBOP.jpg

So I've been told the 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg is coming up, so I thought I'd share this restoration/colourisation of these three unidentified soldiers.

Any C&C welcome, I've been reliably informed by Zuzah that the uniform colours are the butternut of the privates in the Confederate army.

Enjoy!

I think an earlier post identified these Confederate POW's.

The are carrying most of their gears, but I can still see why observers described them as "tawny, all ligiments, tendons, and bones". A recent description on this forum of Confederates marching through Pennsylvania towns described them as having the appearance of "wolves".

The are carrying most of their gears, but I can still see why observers described them as "tawny, all ligiments, tendons, and bones". A recent description on this forum of Confederates marching through Pennsylvania towns described them as having the appearance of "wolves".

Thanks I've tried searching the forums but can't find the exact thread. Can you help? Cheers!

Thanks I've tried searching the forums but can't find the exact thread. Can you help? Cheers!

I've seen two posts here about this, one from last October and one from May. They both identify the same people, the 2nd thread goes much more in depth. I think the real problem (and you will see it if you read the 2nd thread) is that there has not been enough credible research done as to if the story is true or just one that got passed down along the way.

I'm not ready to put a lot of $$$ down on if the mystery has been solved.

On looking at the photos a bit more closely, a few things stand out. First, they are wearing or carrying coats, even though they were supposedly captured at Gettysburg (presumably in July). Confederates were known for disgarding their coats or anything else which they didn't want to carry, on the assumption they could always pick up another one when it was needed (short jackets which were part of a uniform excepted). Secondly, the fellow on the left is carrying a water cup, which is historically accurate as the preferred means of carrying water, but he's also carrying a canteen. Confedertes often disgarded canteens as they figured the cup did the job more efficiently (except when carrying "found" mollassas, liquor, etc.).

As for the bands on the finger of the middle guy, I have know idea what that is.

Wow, great. Yes it's really good to know that there is some serious analysis on unverifiable claims!

On looking at the photos a bit more closely, a few things stand out. First, they are wearing or carrying coats, even though they were supposedly captured at Gettysburg (presumably in July). Confederates were known for disgarding their coats or anything else which they didn't want to carry, on the assumption they could always pick up another one when it was needed (short jackets which were part of a uniform excepted). Secondly, the fellow on the left is carrying a water cup, which is historically accurate as the preferred means of carrying water, but he's also carrying a canteen. Confedertes often disgarded canteens as they figured the cup did the job more efficiently (except when carrying "found" mollassas, liquor, etc.).

As for the bands on the finger of the middle guy, I have know idea what that is.
Discussions have evolved guessing that these men were stragglers and had picked up a lot of this gear dropped by others as they were leaving...

I always had the impression that most confederate soldiers wore a mix of tan, brown, and butternut, rather than gray. Well done, you brought this picture to life.

So I've been told the 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg is coming up, so I thought I'd share this restoration/colourisation of these three unidentified soldiers.

Any C&C welcome, I've been reliably informed by Zuzah that the uniform colours are the butternut of the privates in the Confederate army.

Oh my.... this is incredible work - kudos in every respect.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. I have always thought those three were way over dressed for a July day. I wonder just where this was really taken?

They definitely appear like what they are which is three lean, tough, Southern country boys/men. As to the season the branches on the trees in the background appear to be heavy with leaves as they would be in early July.

Back