Gettysburg National Military Park : Seminary Ridge (Then & Now)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* Matthew Brady's photo of 3 Confederate Soldiers (Prisoners) at Seminary Ridge.

IMG_20170422_092818934.jpg

* Then (1863).

FB_IMG_1492999516035.jpg

* Now (2017).

FB_IMG_1492999527864.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! Love it! Was it intentional that everyone in the bottom pic has their legs in the opposite orientation of the guys in the top pic?

I showed my family and friends the original Brady photo at the modern scene. My friend wanted a photo to match the vintage photo. We looked at the photo, got into position and my wife took her life in her hands taking this photo (busy traffic corner). We messed up our leg positions.....

It was still fun!

Bill

Last edited:
Just wondered how the pic ended up being taken on Seminary Ridge. Weren't the prisoners kept east of Cemetery Ridge?

"Gettysburg : A Journey in Time" by William Frassanito (Pages 70 and 71)

I-5 Confederate prisoners on Seminary Ridge,Brady,
stereo #2397, o/a July 15th, 1863 (LC)

"The above title specifies for the first time the precise location of this famous scene, one of the finest records of Confederate uniforms. The location was established by comparing the background with Brady's panoramic view of Gettysburg (7). Among the several distinguishing
features present in both scenes is the mammoth tree standing unchallenged on the crest of the distant Cemetery Hill (on the horizon to the left of the first soldier).

The fact that these three prisoners were photographed by Brady on
Seminary Ridge approximately two weeks after the battle indicates that they may have been stragglers,captured during Union mop-up operations somewhere along the Chambersburg Pike or Hagerstown Road,Lee's main routes of retreat. Certainly it was just by chance that the prisoners happened to be on Seminary Ridge when Brady was working in the same area; as the exposure was made, Union guards undoubtably stood only feet away.

Quite conceivably this view was recorded on July 15th, the same day Brady is to have believed to have photographed the headquarters of General Lee. If this is correct, than the soldiers pictured here were very likely among the 2,500 Confederate prisoners transferred the following day, July 16th, from Gettysburg towards Washington and thence to prison camps throughout the North.

Today a stone wall occupies the ground where breastworks once stood. A marker (not visible here) describes the stone wall as having been erected on July 4, by Confederate General Rode's division. But if the interpretation offered here is correct, then it would seem that the
original breastworks were made of logs not stone."

* There is no sign at the stone wall.

Last edited:
"Gettysburg : A Journey in Time" by William Frassanito (Pages 70 and 71)

I-5 Confederate prisoners on Seminary Ridge,Brady,
stereo #2397, o/a July15,1863 (LC)

"The above title specifies for the first time the precise location of
this famous scene, one of the finest records of Confederate uniforms. The location was established by comparing the background with Brady's
panoramic view of Gettysburg (7). Among the several distinguishing
features present in both scenes is the mammoth tree standing unchallenged on the crest of the distant Cemetery Hill(on the horizon to the left of the first soldier).

The fact that these three prisoners were photographed by Brady on
Seminary Ridge approximately two weeks after the battle indicates that
they may have been stragglers,captured during Union mop-up operations somewhere along the Chambersburg Pike or Hagerstown Road,Lee's main routes of retreat. Certainly it was just by chance that the prisoners happened to be on Seminary Ridge when Brady was working in the same area; as the exposure was made, Union guards undoubtably stood only feet away.

Quite conceivably this view was recorded on July 15, the same day Brady is to have believed to have photographed the headquarters of General Lee. If this is correct, than the soldiers pictured here were very likely among the 2,500 Confederate prisoners transferred the following day,July 16, from Gettysburg towards Washington and thence to prison camps throughout the North.

Today a stone wall occupies the ground where breastworks once stood. A marker(not visible here) describes the stone wall as having been erected on July 4, by Confederate General Rode's division. But if the
interpretation offered here is correct,then it would seem that the
original breastworks were made of logs not stone."

* There is no sign at the stone wall.
Ah. Ok. It was two weeks later so they could have been anywhere in the meantime.

I showed my family the original Brady photo at the modern scene. My cousin wanted a photo to match the vintage photo. We looked at the photo, got into position and my wife took her life in her hands taking this photo (busy traffic corner). We messed up our leg positions.....

Aw, shucks. I was hoping for a story about some deep symbolic purpose behind it! :wink:

Bill I've just had a look on google maps, is the location on the corner of Seminary Ridge and Lincoln Hwy?
I plan on taking a plaque that I sculpted of the 3 prisoners , which a friend kindly painted in black and white to try to recreate the photo.
So you know what I'm talking about here's a link to the figure on my website.
http://www.milmartminiatures.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=69

Located on the corner of Seminary Ridge at US 30 (Lincoln Highway). The stone wall is on Seminary Ridge. The 1863 Brady photo was captured at a group of wood planks (modern stone wall). This location is directly across US 30 from the Mary Thompson House (Lee's H.Q. complex). Brady captured this photo looking eastward towards downtown Gettysburg. Hope this helps, my friend.....

P.S. Beware : Busy corner......

IMG_20170428_151701.jpg

Last edited:
Back