1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg National Military Park plans prescribed fires

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by USS ALASKA, Mar 9, 2018.

1. USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA Sergeant Major

For those with travel plans...

Gettysburg National Military Park plans prescribed fires in the southern portion of the battlefield in late March or April

ADAMS COUNTY, Pa.– Gettysburg National Military Park fire managers are preparing for a prescribed fire on two days from late March to late April, weather permitting. The plans call for burning portions of a 215 acre burn unit between Devil’s Den and South Confederate Avenue. Fuel and weather conditions must be within certain parameters and that will determine the exact date for each of the one-day operations.

Prescribed fires allow fire managers to conduct a safe burn under optimal conditions with sufficient resources available to meet specific objectives for the management of battlefield resources. Gettysburg’s overall objectives are to maintain the conditions of the battlefield as experienced by the soldiers who fought here; perpetuate the open space character of the landscape; maintain wildlife habitat; control exotic invasive species; reduce shrub and woody species components; and reduce fuels in wooded areas to reduce fire hazard.

Temporary Road Closures Planned: During the prescribed fire, multiple roads will likely be closed for portions of the day including South Confederate Avenue, and Sickles Avenue at Devil’s Den. Closures may last two or three days. Pedestrian and equestrian trails located within the burn area will also be closed.

Additional roads, trails and areas may be closed temporarily if smoke conditions reduce visibility to a level that would cause visibility problems and public and firefighter safety concerns. Up-to-date information on this and any other closures and fire activity will be posted on the park’s website,
    www.nps.gov/gett, and social media sites, using the hashtag, #GettysburgNPS.

The timing of the prescribed fire is dependent on conditions being within required weather parameters such as wind, temperature, and relative humidity. The prescribed fire will be conducted from approximately late morning through the afternoon, followed by patrol and monitoring to ensure the fire is completely out.

A combination of lawn-sprinklers, hoses, mowed lines, and fire engines will be used to create a buffer and fire break to protect monuments and other cultural resources in the burn area. National Park Service staff will monitor air quality and smoke impacts as well as visibility on nearby roads.

More information including maps of the project areas and the park’s Fire Management Plan can be viewed on the park website,
    www.nps.gov/gett/getinvolved/planning.htm.

SOURCE: Gettysburg Military National Park

http://fox43.com/2018/03/08/gettysb...on-of-the-battlefield-in-late-march-or-april/

Cheers,
    USS ALASKA

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. James N.

James N. Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Not to worry; when I visited the Devils' Den area during the 2016 September to Remember gathering a controlled burn had recently been done to clear underbrush from the Triangular Field:

[​IMG]

4. mofederal

mofederal Captain

Hopefully it will clear off the undergrowth and allow a better view of the field. Maybe get rid of some critters also, especially the crawling kind. it maybe too early for their kind though. Thanks for posting @USS ALASKA.

USS ALASKA, Pat Young and 22ndGa like this.
  5. Equestriangirl93

Equestriangirl93 Sergeant

Interesting. Thanks for posting....

USS ALASKA and 22ndGa like this.
  6. infomanpa

infomanpa First Sergeant

It is an interesting process. Last April, I was there to watch them set up the burn areas on the front slope of Little Round Top.

USS ALASKA likes this.
  7. Doug5861

Doug5861 Private

The past two years I was there the week following the Little Round Top burn and the Munshower Knoll to Weikert farm burn. There was already new growth a week later. Munshower Knoll - Controlled Burn.JPG Little Round Top - 2017 Burn (10).JPG

8. 1stMN

1stMN First Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I hope the fires destroy the woodticks!! Yes, I realize they're food for other creatures and NO I still think the same thing...diiiieeee.

On a more realistic note, this will be great to clear that underbrush.

James N. and KansasFreestater like this.
  9. infomanpa

infomanpa First Sergeant

Unfortunately, no, it won't. :unsure:

1stMN likes this.
  10. 1stMN

1stMN First Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Hope springs eternal!

KansasFreestater likes this.
  11. USS ALASKA

12. pamc153PA

pamc153PA Major Forum Host

Well, that area of the field really needs it, especially the South Cav Field area. That’s just a weedy mess. It worries me a little to see it include Bushman Hill and the wooded areas there, though; they’ll really have to prep the area, and hopefully not lose many/any trees. And of course this would be about the time for my next trip out, the end of March. :thumbsdown:

MRB1863 and James N. like this.
  13. Dom71

Dom71 Sergeant

Do we know the actual dates for this burn? I'm going to be there the first week of April.

14. infomanpa

infomanpa First Sergeant

15. infomanpa

infomanpa First Sergeant

It's spring break time!

pamc153PA likes this.
  16. infomanpa

infomanpa First Sergeant

Last year, they did it around April 10

pamc153PA and Dom71 like this.
  17. USS ALASKA

Right now NPS has about a month-long window. Too far out to accurately judge (guess) conditions and weather.

Cheers,
    USS ALASKA

Dom71 likes this.
  18. James N.

James N. Major Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

It looks odd to me because it hasn't been all that long - two years at most - since the burn illustrated in my photo above and it's included on the map too.

19. Dom71

Dom71 Sergeant

Looks like I'll be cutting it close

20. pamc153PA

pamc153PA Major Forum Host

On the other hand, the burn on LRT last year was terrific for allowing you to see the “bones” of the battlefield without the tall grass or mats of dead winter vegetation. Last May, three weeks after the burn, I was able to walk the old electric trolley bed from the old Round Top station area, across the West face of LRT, across Warren Avenue, through the Slaughter Pen, over Plum Run, across the Tri-Field and through the Rose Woods for the first time in all the years I’ve been going to the battlefield. Normally, even in winter, the Plum Run valley part is really a mess to walk through.

James N., infomanpa and USS ALASKA like this.
  21. Doug5861

Doug5861 Private

Here's some more burn pics from the last two years Little Round Top - 2017 Burn (2).jpg

Vincents wounding marker and the 83rd PA moniment

Little Round Top - 2017 Burn (9).JPG
    The north end of LRT

Munshower Knoll - Controlled Burn (3).JPG
    Munshower Knoll to the Wheatfield road Munshower Knoll - J. Weikert Farm.JPG
    Munshower Knoll towards J. Weikert farm Pardee Field - 2017 Burn.JPG
    A portion of the Pardee field/Culp's Hill burn

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)