Gettysburg Movie Watch Party!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
We will have a “chat room watch party” for the movie Gettysburg today at 6pm EDT!

1585240347591.jpeg

We will watch the theatrical version, with a few planned stops during the movie.

You can buy a copy or rent it on Amazon PRIME to stream...

If you plan to rent, Here is the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QPX6IG/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

You put the movie in at home, start watching at 6pm along with everyone else and chat about the movie while we watch!

Last edited:
Is the movie streaming on Netflix by any chance?
[/QUO
Oh heck yes! All time favorite movie, I must have watched it at least three or more times a year since I was 10. I can quote it up and down, and know it by heart.

Sunday morning through the afternoon, I'll be busy, but I'll see if I can make it.

"Listen, Colonel, I'm tired. You know what I mean? I'm tired. I've had all this army, and all these officers, this darn Hooker, this darn idiot Meade. All of them. The whole bloody, lousy rotten mess of sick-brained, potbellied scareheads that ain't fit to lead a johnny detail! They ain't fit to pour pee out of a boot with instructions written under the heel. I'm tired. We are good men and we had our own good flag. These darn idiots used us like we were cows or dogs or worse. We ain't gonna win this war. We can't win no-how with these lame-brain *expletive* from West Point. These darn gentlemen, these officers!" - Joseph Bucklin.
”George, can you take that ridge?”

Oh heck yes! All time favorite movie, I must have watched it at least three or more times a year since I was 10. I can quote it up and down, and know it by heart.

"Listen, Colonel, I'm tired. You know what I mean? I'm tired. I've had all this army, and all these officers, this darn Hooker, this darn idiot Meade. All of them. The whole bloody, lousy rotten mess of sick-brained, potbellied scareheads that ain't fit to lead a johnny detail! They ain't fit to pour pee out of a boot with instructions written under the heel. I'm tired. We are good men and we had our own good flag. These darn idiots used us like we were cows or dogs or worse. We ain't gonna win this war. We can't win no-how with these lame-brain *expletive* from West Point. These darn gentlemen, these officers!" - Joseph Bucklin.

👍
Nice!

Pickett: "Well, sirs, I intend to lay this matter to rest for once and for all time."
Longstreet: "Oh, good."
Pickett: "Perhaps there are those among you who feel you are descended from... a ape. There may even be those among you who will say that I am descended from a ape. But I challenge the man to step forward who believes that General Robert E. Lee is descended from a ape."
Kemper: "Not likely..."
Garnett: "Hear, hear."
Armistead: "George, all science trembles before the searing logic of your fiery intellect."
Longstreet: "Aagh."
Kemper: "So exactly how many o' your relatives are there that are apes?"

👍
Nice!

Pickett: "Well, sirs, I intend to lay this matter to rest for once and for all time."
Longstreet: "Oh, good."
Pickett: "Perhaps there are those among you who feel you are descended from... a ape. There may even be those among you who will say that I am descended from a ape. But I challenge the man to step forward who believes that General Robert E. Lee is descended from a ape."
Kemper: "Not likely..."
Garnett: "Hear, hear."
Armistead: "George, all science trembles before the searing logic of your fiery intellect."
Longstreet: "Aagh."
Kemper: "So exactly how many o' your relatives are there that are apes?"

That's one of my favorites. Another is Kempers' "The government of my home, is home" speech, particularly this line.

"Virginia would not allow itself to be ruled by... by some, uh, king over there in London. And it's not about to let itself be ruled by some president in Washington! Virginia, by God, sir, is gonna be run by Virginians!

All I have is the extended version (digital, no more discs!), but I can rent the theatrical version via Amazon Prime Video for that night if need be. Costs all of $2.99 -- I can swing that!

I'm curious as to how this will work if too many people are involved. If a half dozen or more people comment on the same scene, by the time the comments are all posted the scene might be long over and we have moved on. Nice if we could all pause the movie at agreed points to catch up on the 'discussion.' We also have to discourage too many irelevant "Yah, I like this part" comments.

Worth a try, though.

I'm curious as to how this will work if too many people are involved. If a half dozen or more people comment on the same scene, by the time the comments are all posted the scene might be long over and we have moved on. Nice if we could all pause the movie at agreed points to catch up on the 'discussion.' We also have to discourage too many irelevant "Yah, I like this part" comments.

Worth a try, though.
that's the fun of it!!! chat free for all like Monday night video discussions. :D

I'll try to join in but I'll likely be a couple hours be late... there's a pretty good sized ham radio contest this weekend that I plan to play in but it doesn't end until after dinner Sunday nite. It's funny, all the sports in the world have been canceled... NBA MLB PGA NASCAR NHL... and yesterday they even postponed the FIDE Candidates' Chess Tournament (to determine who plays Magnus for World #1 spot). So sad. But not ham radio! The perfect sport for self isolation ;-) Well, that, and online movie chats.

Back