NF Gettysburg movie: Freemont and Armistead

Non-Fiction

White Flint Bill

Sergeant
While there are numerous clips from the movie on YouTube, I cannot find the scene where Freemont asks Armistead about the Star Spangled Banner and Armistead replies with his speech about all of Virginia being here. If it's out there and I missed it, I'd be obliged if someone would post a link. If it's not out there, seems like making it available would be a good project for someone with the skills to make that happen.

It's a wonderful scene from an absolutely wonderful film! This movie - Gettysburg, ought to be required viewing in all high school history classes. But of course, because it portrays Confederates in a good and honorable way, this film will never be seen except by people who really want to know more about the war and this battle. By the way, the same can be said about the movie, Gods and Generals. I never tire of watching either film; especially the director's cut!

While there are numerous clips from the movie on YouTube, I cannot find the scene where Freemont asks Armistead about the Star Spangled Banner and Armistead replies with his speech about all of Virginia being here. If it's out there and I missed it, I'd be obliged if someone would post a link. If it's not out there, seems like making it available would be a good project for someone with the skills to make that happen.
Fremantle was his name, but I knew who you were talking about.

It's a wonderful scene from an absolutely wonderful film! This movie - Gettysburg, ought to be required viewing in all high school history classes. But of course, because it portrays Confederates in a good and honorable way, this film will never be seen except by people who really want to know more about the war and this battle. By the way, the same can be said about the movie, Gods and Generals. I never tire of watching either film; especially the director's cut!

:nah disagree: I used it every year. EVERY YEAR. It's not required viewing because it's based on Killer Angels, so no reason to use it. Obviously, a LOT of us woke up to Buford, Reynolds, Chamberlain, etc. because of the film, so there's that. Now, of course, the American Battlefield Trust has so many great videos and animated maps, it's just easier...administrators in most schools frown on movie-watching, even though it's a tremendous way to get kids into history, English, Government or Geography. And many kids are visual learners. My usual rotation included Robin Hood (Flynn version), Lawrence of Arabia (even kids from West Texas are awed by that desert), John Adams, The Searchers and Old Yeller...and a terrific $5 video from Wally World about Pancho Villa. One of the best ever was a movie about Genghis Khan with subtitles. Oh, and Beowulf with Gerard Butler, but I didn't realize I needed to keep control of the remote...:O o:

I just acquired the set of the two movies and extra material. Can you play the extended version without hearing the commentary?

Oh yes, the extended version is just like the regular movie! If you are like me and have watched the regular movie time after time, you'll enjoy the new scenes. I enjoyed the Gettysburg extra scenes a lot! As for Gods and Generals, I wish they didn't have the scenes with Harrison and Wilkes Booth. Not sure why we had to see that? Otherwise it was interesting to see the Antietam scenes not shown in the regular version.

It's a wonderful scene from an absolutely wonderful film! This movie - Gettysburg, ought to be required viewing in all high school history classes. But of course, because it portrays Confederates in a good and honorable way, this film will never be seen except by people who really want to know more about the war and this battle.
<COMMENT DELETED BY A MODERATOR>

If I want to learn about Gettysburg I'll read more, not watch a mediocre movie based on a work of fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point on "how" the South is being portrayed by many people is easily seen. How can any movie or book portray the South in a decent and positive light? I don't know how many readers here have read ALL the Michael and Jeff Shaara novels on the Civil War - which gave us two excellent movies the North hated; "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals," but I have. How about other great writers and noted historians like Douglas Southall Freeman, Robert Krick as well as Gary Gallagher? How many more excellent historians do I have to mention? If you win your struggle, you're fabulous but if you lose, you're a dog. To me, the farther away we get from the War; especially the people who were truly affected, the history changes and the narrative gets worse.

By the way, does anyone have an opinion on the closing of the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, which honored the South for years and years? Now it has re-opened as just a regular Civil War museum. Like so many other things today, I find it distressing. Thankfully, my friend and I were able to see it before it closed down.

I wonder if Steven Spielberg could make a film adaptation of Jeff Shaara's noevel the Last Full Measure? Of course it would be hard to make a film about Grant's Overland Campaign from the Wilderness to Petersburg and all the way to Appomattox. I liked Jared Harris's portrayal of Grant in Lincoln but it's not likely he would want to portray him again if they did make the Last Full Measure into a movie. Instead Spielberg should adapt Shaara's novel about the Battle of Shiloh. Because that's only a two-day battle

Gods and Generals was such an abysmal failure at the box office and as cinema (boring, poorly written, poorly directed, and too gawdauful long) that Last Full Measure will never be made. (OK, some good battle scenes in G&G. Just lose the dialog, please!) It's too bad, because Gettysburg is an excellent movie.

Back