1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg, Marietta planned Antifa demonstrations

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by Stiles/Akin, May 4, 2017.

1. Stiles/Akin

Stiles/Akin First Sergeant

"There is an event set up on Facebook that calls for the desecration of Confederate cemeteries on Confederate Memorial Day. Specifically, on Saturday, May 13, 3-6 PM, this group intends to target Old Marietta Confederate Cemetery. They intend to burn CBFs and/or urinate on graves. They also have an event scheduled for July 1, 3-6 PM, at Gettysburg National Memorial Park cemetery. Facebook hasn't taken this event off their page. The group urges their followers to "find their local Confederate graves" to desecrate."

Not sure if this is just a publicity stunt but those of you affiliated with Gettysburg should be aware of this activity. Police in the Marietta area have been made aware of the threat.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

I hope this isn't true! Have you tried reporting this to Facebook? Is this a violation of FB rules? I don't know enough about FB to say.

4. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

This is awful. I hope it gets taken down from Facebook.

5. Stiles/Akin

We did report this to Facebook and they said it did not break any rules.

6. Stiles/Akin

7. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

No matter your politics, I think this FB page is very disturbing. According to the page a lot of folks are going and a lot more are interested. An event such as this likely wouldn't end well. I hope it's just a prank!

Stiles/Akin likes this.
  8. Southern Unionist

Southern Unionist Sergeant

I guess they edited the page. All I can see is a plan for a flag burning, which is not that big of a deal.

FB rules say you can't use a FB page to organize or promote a criminal event, such as vandalism or violence. We need to keep an eye on this group. They may change their page again.

Nathanb1 and Stiles/Akin like this.
  9. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

10. Southern Unionist

Southern Unionist Sergeant

Nathanb1 likes this.
  11. MattL

MattL First Sergeant

The CBF burning is juvenile, a waste of time, but whatever, some people march around with assault rifles defending the CBF other burn CBF flags to go against it. Both I think are childish.

Desecrating cemeteries is vile, by anyone (like the desecrated Jewish graves revently).

The only positive I see is that in all of Facebook that could have expressed interesting on 42 claimed they were going (meaning probably none, if it's not in the thousands on Facebook it doesn't really exist). Additionally it's probably more likely it's purely a troll without actual intentions... and even beyond that it's likely it's some group riling up people to get views on their page and direct traffic for ad revenue etc (some articles cover people who start inflammatory things like this and play both sides all to make some money, some quite a bit of money).

O' Be Joyful likes this.
  12. gary

gary Captain

I hope the National Park Service Police and law enforcement rangers are out there in force.

CSA Today likes this.
  13. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

I notice all the death threats have been allowed to stay.

14. Youngblood

Youngblood Sergeant

Typical behavior from that side of the fence. It doesnt stop with taking down monuments and flags.

CSA Today and Andersonh1 like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)