Gettysburg in 1971 on 16mm film

I remember when it looked like that! Thank you! Notice how the driver turned left from the sign and drove by with the Angle on the right? That was the beginning of the driving tour then;it started at the visitors center and the Angle was the first stop. Some of the first reenactors I ever saw were those park service rangers. (BTW, he's carrying a reproduction 1863 Remington contract rifle, the original almost certainly couldn't have been carried at Gettysburg. But they were the first reproduction long arm and very common in the 1970s.)

I remember when it looked like that! Thank you! Notice how the driver turned left from the sign and drove by with the Angle on the right? That was the beginning of the driving tour then;it started at the visitors center and the Angle was the first stop. Some of the first reenactors I ever saw were those park service rangers. (BTW, he's carrying a reproduction 1863 Remington contract rifle, the original almost certainly couldn't have been carried at Gettysburg. But they were the first reproduction long arm and very common in the 1970s.)
It's funny i thought it looked different at the angle. It also looked like the iron fence around the copse of trees isn't there

Little kid climbing on a cannon.....sumthin' I probably would've done. Bet you can't do that today!

You weren't supposed to climb on Warren's rock then either. There's a bronze sign bolted to the rock forbidding it. When I was 3 years old, I climbed on a cannon on LRT, shook my fist to the west and yelled "we'll get you, you bloody Redcoats!" The Ranger laughed till he cried.

...BTW, he's carrying a reproduction 1863 Remington contract rifle, the original almost certainly couldn't have been carried at Gettysburg. But they were the first reproduction long arm and very common in the 1970s.)

Yet no foul. The 1863 contract is largely (can I say "bigly"?) the same as the pattern it's based on, an 1855 Harpers Ferry, which could well have been at Gettysburg.

Anyway, thanks to the NPS for doing such an outstanding job for all these years. I wonder if the young man is yet in NPS service as an older man. History tends to be a lifelong affliction.

image-11-jpg.jpg

Here's a link to my thread detailing 2 visits made only a decade earlier during the Centennial:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/gettysburg-during-the-centennial.125469/

Back