NF Gettysburg film 1993...If you could include 1-2 more regiments...

Non-Fiction
Thats going to be a pretty tough one to reenact.
Just a little ingenuity. We had a guy in the '70s who brought deer guts from his hunt to roll out of his shirt when looking for his wound.
Bloodpacks used to be all the rage. Ya take fishing line from the chin strap of a kepi to a guy standing behind. Blood is under the kepi and stuck to the victims head. The guy behind takes a chest hit and pulls the fishing line causing the front rank guy's head to explode. Effective because the front guy actually takes his wound a fraction of a second later so it gives the appearance of multiple rounds coming in like a shower of rain. And....look ma, no Hans.

In the case of "Glory," the film served to educate a vast segment of the public on the origins and existence of Black military units during the Civil War. The producers, directors, and studio heads were well-aware that the story they were telling was one that had profound implications on the way many folks would think about the connection between the war to restore the Union and the one to abolish slavery. The film and the accompanying publicity (including a Dan Rather narrated "Making of Glory") attested to its self-awareness as a vessel for education as well as entertainment. This film, combined with the Ken Burns' series, generated an unprecedented interest in the war, increased visitation to battlefield sites, and ballooned the number of reenactors to the highest numbers ever. It also ushered in a discussion that questioned the Lost Cause narrative that still drives many people's understanding of the war and its meaning. Indeed, "Gettysburg" (ironically, a veritable homage to the Lost Cause) would have never been made if not for the momentum sparked by "Glory" in telling Civil War stories based on real people and events. If all that does not constitute a history lesson, I don't know what does.
No one said a film cant be educational. Heck, just look at Spinal Tap.

We were in GB in 1993 for Remembrance Day, and saw it. My opinion was very positive, before and after, as I knew, as most of us did, that it was the firm version of "Killer Angels", and though parts followed a historical path, parts were fictional.

As did the Burns PBS series, it brought many into a serious study of the battle.

If you could, at that time, include one or two additional regiments on both sides what would they be?

I'm obviously biased, but as far as the 1993 film is concerned ... I would have at least enjoyed a few more minutes with the Second Mississippi Infantry Regiment .

Not only did those guys put up an intense fight throughout the Gettysburg Campaign , they also had some interesting characters in command.

One their early commanders was Colonel William C. Falkner, Great-Grandfather of the famous author.
( and he was as interesting as his Grandson)

However, the film did include a very brief segment with the very colorful General William Barksdale.
Barksdale was the Brigade commander, and killed on July 3rd.

He was a typical Southern aristocratic man of his era.

Planter, politician,military veteran of the Mexican War, Confederate General and such ...

But he never cut his hair:

ba2a41dce6c29c1ee85aaf94c652a89a--civil-war-art-cw.jpg

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/honorable-william-barksdale-u-s-house-of-representatives-–-mississippi-3rd-district.131131/

I can see many older Hollywood actors auditioning for that part ....

Hi, I too like the film I just finished watching it again. I really like Jeff Daniels portrayal of Chamberlain. I read recently that the director thought Daniels would not be a good fit because of his comedy work.
You would like his portrayal of George Washington in the 2000 A&E made-for-TV film the Crossing that was based on the novel of the same by Howard Fast.

You would like his portrayal of George Washington in the 2000 A&E made-for-TV film the Crossing that was based on the novel of the same by Howard Fast.
The Crossing is a first-rate made-for-TV movie and Daniels is very good as Washington. @johjess If you liked his delivery of "bayonets!" in Gettysburg, you will get equally goose-bumpy when he shouts "the army will advance!" after successfully sneaking up on those rascally Hessians at Trenton.

after successfully sneaking up on those rascally Hessians at Trenton.
:bounce:

Great strategic move by General Washington.
He had .....

1.Dedicated patriots
2. A Winter storm
3. Hessians that were passed out after finding an extra Jägermeister ration.

A perfect storm for a creating a bad night for King George's German mercenaries.

:laugh:

Last edited:
Hessian soldiers being drunk at Trenton is a myth.
https://www.washingtoncrossingpark.org/hessians-drunk/
For the typical enlisted ranks - supposedly the garrison commander Col. Von Rall spent the evening playing cards and was too "distracted" to bother with a message he received concerning Patriot activity and merely put it in his pocket; HE may well have fit the description personally. On an aside, I think it's hilarious that among the 900 or more German prisoners was a complete regimental band (including their instruments) that wound up in Philadelphia playing for members of the Continental Congress!

Back