NF Gettysburg film 1993...If you could include 1-2 more regiments...

Non-Fiction
Gettysburg is a very nuanced battle. The 20th Maine did awesome work. But they were not everything. Showing the Alabanans had no canteens would have been a nice detail but wouldn't advance the story either. This film is the boom Killer Andels put to film. We all know that. But even the officer who did lead the furthest penetration on Day 2 is listed in the credits. I still have not found what scene depicted him.
It was a long film covering a novel. It isn't even History. Martin Sheen did a fantastic job portraying the Lee from the book. It just isn't Lee from History. Lee having the runs from too much fresh fruit and possibly suffering a heart attack are not brought up either.
The question here is what things would make the film more complete. Cup's Hill is brought up but basically ignored other than Trimble *****ing about Well. You really get a sense of how important that position was nor how bloody the fighting was there. Its about famous or favorite regimental actions. Its just that some actions were very important and with this film about Confederates attacking the Union Right 1st Minnesota being left out is almost criminal. That's from me, a die hard Secessionist. Compliments to the Yankees of the 1st Minnesota. Hell of a fight they put in nobody can deny.
Back to the film being an adaptation of a novel and time length considerations the producers really didn't have much choice but to focus on the novel alone.
What is tiresome is people *****ing about what other people think about this and characterizing them with a personal ***** bias. Get some cheese to go with that whine.
Complaining about Ewell it should read. Auto correct will start a war one day.

Gettysburg is a very nuanced battle. The 20th Maine did awesome work. But they were not everything. Showing the Alabanans had no canteens would have been a nice detail but wouldn't advance the story either. This film is the boom Killer Andels put to film. We all know that. But even the officer who did lead the furthest penetration on Day 2 is listed in the credits. I still have not found what scene depicted him.
It was a long film covering a novel. It isn't even History. Martin Sheen did a fantastic job portraying the Lee from the book. It just isn't Lee from History. Lee having the runs from too much fresh fruit and possibly suffering a heart attack are not brought up either.
The question here is what things would make the film more complete. Cup's Hill is brought up but basically ignored other than Trimble *****ing about Well. You really get a sense of how important that position was nor how bloody the fighting was there. Its about famous or favorite regimental actions. Its just that some actions were very important and with this film about Confederates attacking the Union Right 1st Minnesota being left out is almost criminal. That's from me, a die hard Secessionist. Compliments to the Yankees of the 1st Minnesota. Hell of a fight they put in nobody can deny.
Back to the film being an adaptation of a novel and time length considerations the producers really didn't have much choice but to focus on the novel alone.
What is tiresome is people *****ing about what other people think about this and characterizing them with a personal ***** bias. Get some cheese to go with that whine.
My last sentence want necessary and I apologize for writing it. I didn't mean to be so harsh. Its just that people havevevery right to contemplate this film and what could have been better. The acting could have been better but some really stuck out like the aforementioned Sheen and Richard playing Armistead as well as Buford's and Hancock's portrayals off the top of my head. Great actors with a iffy script can only do so much though. Great acted scenes in a high school play wont raise the level of the entire play either.
Once again, sorry for that last sentence. I didn't mean to be a jerk and it wasn't funny or light upon rereading it.

You really DON''T get a sense about Culp's Hill it is meant to say. Just typing this I had extra words added to my writing. Very sensitive cell phone I have.

My last sentence want necessary and I apologize for writing it. I didn't mean to be so harsh. Its just that people havevevery right to contemplate this film and what could have been better. The acting could have been better but some really stuck out like the aforementioned Sheen and Richard playing Armistead as well as Buford's and Hancock's portrayals off the top of my head. Great actors with a iffy script can only do so much though. Great acted scenes in a high school play wont raise the level of the entire play either.
Once again, sorry for that last sentence. I didn't mean to be a jerk and it wasn't funny or light upon rereading it.
Don't apologize (you only do that to your wife or else your bed will be cold), there's no need for it. As stated I was an extra in both Movies and sadly both movies flopped. Ok ok there was a few good scenes in the first one and that's about it. This sums the matter up!
sob story.GIF

Don't apologize (you only do that to your wife or else your bed will be cold), there's no need for it. As stated I was an extra in both Movies and sadly both movies flopped. Ok ok there was a few good scenes in the first one and that's about it. This sums the matter up!View attachment 408976
Ooh! A fiddle with the whine and cheese. I get it. Sad songs so much.

IMHO, the fighting on the Union Right was totally neglected in the movie. My first choice would be the 137th NY Infantry. There are a few similarities between the 20th Maine and the 137th. The 137th was the regiment on the extreme right of the Union army, just as Chamberlain’s 20th Maine held the left on the other side of the battlefield. Like the 20th Maine, the 137th bent its line into the shape of a hairpin when it was attacked from three sides. And like Chamberlain, Col. Ireland ordered his men to fix bayonets and charge to drive the Rebels from their front. The 137th New York was involved in serious fighting in the dark for more than two hours, while the 20th Maine was in action maybe 30 minutes......total.
My second pick would be the 2nd Virginia Infantry where Welsey Culp was involved. Young Wesley left his family from Gettysburg to enlist in the Confederate Army, only to come home to fight and die on Culp's Hill ironically.

Culps-hill4.jpg

IMHO, the fighting on the Union Right was totally neglected in the movie. My first choice would be the 137th NY Infantry. There are a few similarities between the 20th Maine and the 137th. The 137th was the regiment on the extreme right of the Union army, just as Chamberlain’s 20th Maine held the left on the other side of the battlefield. Like the 20th Maine, the 137th bent its line into the shape of a hairpin when it was attacked from three sides. And like Chamberlain, Col. Ireland ordered his men to fix bayonets and charge to drive the Rebels from their front. The 137th New York was involved in serious fighting in the dark for more than two hours, while the 20th Maine was in action maybe 30 minutes......total.
My second pick would be the 2nd Virginia Infantry where Welsey Culp was involved. Young Wesley left his family from Gettysburg to enlist in the Confederate Army, only to come home to fight and die on Culp's Hill ironically.

View attachment 409193
Ah yes. Thanks for the reminder. Those Yanks put up some pretty impressive breastworks in a short time. I think I remember reading that the Confederates would assault and some would be caught out in the open and they surrendered so they could be pulled up over the works to avoid becoming Swiss Cheese from both sides. Was there not some serious night fighting on that hill?
I agree with you on the 20th Maine but the film was a version of The Killer Angels which is about the 20th Maine basically. I still think the lack of water from Oates' troops attacking before the canteen filling detail returned should have been included. Col. Chamberlain didn't know this of course so no bagging on his actions. I doubt he would have been as successful against non winded hydrated troops. Biting cartridges dries up the saliva in your mouth as it is and nothing to hydrate with on a hot day assaulting uphill in wool uniforms is a sure recipe for declining efficiancy in the soldiers abilities. I wonder how many just passed out going up that hill?
Carter at Franklin and Culp at Gettysburg. Probably quite common with Southern troops since the war was fought on their homeland. A Confederate dying in his own homeland in Yankeedom is definitely rare I would guess.
Cheers!

Ah yes. Thanks for the reminder. Those Yanks put up some pretty impressive breastworks in a short time. I think I remember reading that the Confederates would assault and some would be caught out in the open and they surrendered so they could be pulled up over the works to avoid becoming Swiss Cheese from both sides. Was there not some serious night fighting on that hill?
I agree with you on the 20th Maine but the film was a version of The Killer Angels which is about the 20th Maine basically. I still think the lack of water from Oates' troops attacking before the canteen filling detail returned should have been included. Col. Chamberlain didn't know this of course so no bagging on his actions. I doubt he would have been as successful against non winded hydrated troops. Biting cartridges dries up the saliva in your mouth as it is and nothing to hydrate with on a hot day assaulting uphill in wool uniforms is a sure recipe for declining efficiancy in the soldiers abilities. I wonder how many just passed out going up that hill?
Carter at Franklin and Culp at Gettysburg. Probably quite common with Southern troops since the war was fought on their homeland. A Confederate dying in his own homeland in Yankeedom is definitely rare I would guess.
Cheers!
You're absolutely correct, the movie was based on the book by Michael Shaara. In fact, the movie was originally designed to be a three night mini series on the TNT Channel. But when Turner was viewing the battle scenes, he changed his mind to put it on the big screen. In fact the movie was going to be called The Killer Angels until they went with the full length movie. BTW, I took 3 days off from work to go out to Gettysburg to be an extra in the movie. I did the 20th Maine on LRT, even got my likeness taken with Chamberlain ( Jeff Daniels ).

jeffdaniels.jpg

You're absolutely correct, the movie was based on the book by Michael Shaara. In fact, the movie was originally designed to be a three night mini series on the TNT Channel. But when Turner was viewing the battle scenes, he changed his mind to put it on the big screen. In fact the movie was going to be called The Killer Angels until they went with the full length movie. BTW, I took 3 days off from work to go out to Gettysburg to be an extra in the movie. I did the 20th Maine on LRT, even got my likeness taken with Chamberlain ( Jeff Daniels ).

View attachment 409200
Very Hip. I'm in the West. Was on the coast at the time they filmed that flick. I was in McDonald with my Dad and Nieces and Nephew after church one Sunday and I wore my Blue Grey Chasseur's cap by chance. Standing in line I looked up and saw Sam, the actor who played

View attachment 409200
I'm in the West and at the time of thevfilming I was on the West Coast. After Church one Sunday my Dad and I took my young nieces and nephew to McDonald. I wore my blue Grey chasseurs cap by chance. I went up to the counter for something and I heard a deep voice next to me ask me if I was in the "film" or something like that. Inlooked up and saw Sam Elliot in McDonald on PCH in Malibu. We got to chatting a bit and he told me the 2 parts he was reading the script for. Buford being one and I forget the other. I advised him to take the Buford part and explained Buford role real quickly and I explained that I haven t anything about the "film". That part iscobviously an opening scene sequence for the movie and that he would work great for a Cavalry Commander so Buford was my suggestion. I gave him my number of he needed some research materials. I don't know if he called or not because I wasn't at home and whoever might have answered the phone didn't get a number. I did get a few calls. I just don't know who called. Family can really screw up opportunity. My War of Secession "sickness" as I call it was just some playing army to them. Right. Living in Malibu and expecting a phone call that might be important but just a kid's hobby I guess so no biggie. Cant get upset really because I don't know who called for real.
It was cool chatting with him casually in Mickey Ds anyway. Very cool person and down to earth. I'm glad he went with Buford. The beginning of that film is really the best part I think. It sometimes drags after that.
That's my Sam Elliot story. Sure wish I could have been out there just for the hugeness.
A friend of mine from grade school had a camera platform business and he was out there for his work and got to see the Confederate artillery barrage. He called up his kid and and said listen and held up his phone. Kid back in Cali got to tell is schoolmates that he heard the Confederste Artillery barrage at Gettysburg.
Glad you had fun and obviously better memories than mine. I hear that Jeff Daniel's is pretty down to earth also. Not all actors are by a long shot.
Cheers!

View attachment 409200
sorry for the doubles. I got interrupted and I couldn't find my previous partial comment so I started over. I don't know how to delete that first one.
Cheers!

I hear that Jeff Daniel's is pretty down to earth also. Not all actors are by a long shot.
Daniels was pleasant........but he kept his distance for the most part. I also did Gods and Generals where Daniels never did come out to mingle with us between scenes or meal breaks. I found that C. Thomas Howell was much more gregarious.

C Thomas Howell.jpg

Daniels was pleasant........but he kept his distance for the most part. I also did Gods and Generals where Daniels never did come out to mingle with us between scenes or meal breaks. I found that C. Thomas Howell was much more gregarious.

View attachment 409201
Yeah I played a game of chess with Howell between takes, which we didn't get to finish. He was one of the nicer down to earth actors there.

Cheers!
Yup running up that hill could be exhausting. During filming for Oates Regiment running up the hill we must of run up the hill they used 20-30 times that day. Ok run up all at once, next bound up singly, ok next bound up in small groups, then sometimes stopping to fire, etc. etc. etc. I ruined 1 set when my musket keep misfiring clogged due to powder residue. There was no cleaning kits or hot water around to flush down the barrel. So I go to the big hot coffee container they had there and flush the barrel with that, worked! Now I come back missing the directions for the next set thinking we are still doing the last one. On Action I go tearing up the hill and everyone follows me. Director yells cut and is all ****** off he wanted us to do it this way. I played innocent and keep my mouth shut but nice to know everyone will follow me regardless HaHaHaHa.

@frontrank2 Thanks for your perspective on the parameters and limits of this film. I worked on it the week of Pickett's Charge, alternately portraying Union and Confederate (mostly the latter) as the directors requested (I have the Killer Angels hat and T-shirt from before the name change). For all of its limitations and down sides (as many pointed out in this thread) it is a true representation of what Shaara wrote, the characters he focused on, and the combat he felt would drive the story. It is a terrific novel and a good movie adaptation, but as several have correctly noted, not historically accurate or complete. Part of this is due to the limitations of Shaara's research when he wrote the book in the early 1970s. You can see the influences of standard works, particularly Bell Wiley's Billy Yank/Johnny Reb books, Bruce Catton's Army of the Potomac series, Billings Hardtack and Coffee, Fremantle's Three Months in the Southern States, and Douglass Southall Freeman's Lee's Lieutenants, throughout the book and movie. This is particularly apparent in the Virginia-centric bias among all the Confederate officers except Longstreet. That Pickett calls on "Virginians" to make the charge (excluding all others) is Freeman all the way, as is Longstreet's stubborn opposition to Lee's offensive tactics. Shaara modified this conflict to make Longstreet more sympathetic, but the Virginia bias remains entrenched and carried over to Gods and Generals with less than sterling results (debating the merits of that film warrants another thread). Needless to say, the scholarship on Gettysburg, the battle, the units involved, and the commanders on both sides has exploded in the decades since Killer Angels was written, thus we have a knowledgeable audience that is critical of some of Shaara's simplistic interpretations, including the one where the college professor turned commander saves the whole Union army at Little Round Top (and who left a detailed memoir to base this interpretation off of).

If I was going to add units to the existing book/movie narrative it would be the 8th Ohio, a single regiment on picket duty along the Emmitsburg Road on July 3rd that fired into the flanks of Pettigrew's division at the same time as Stannard's Delaware brigade was attacking the other flank (as depicted in the movie right before Hancock's wounding). For the Confederates it would be to focus on Col. William C. Oates, who commanded the Alabamians attacking Little Round Top. After the war, he and Chamberlain squabbled over the location of the 15th Alabama unit marker, which was farther into Chamberlain's line than he recollected. Oates lost his brother John there and insisted that his guys had come closer to winning than anybody thought (see Glenn LaFantasie, Gettysburg Requiem: The Life and Lost Causes of Confederate Colonel William C. Oates, Oxford Press, 2006). Chamberlain won that debate and his version is reflected on the battlefield today (if you see a small Confederate flag next to a rock in the rear of the 20th Maine's line, that is the Oates location.)

Yup running up that hill could be exhausting. During filming for Oates Regiment running up the hill we must of run up the hill they used 20-30 times that day. Ok run up all at once, next bound up singly, ok next bound up in small groups, then sometimes stopping to fire, etc. etc. etc. I ruined 1 set when my musket keep misfiring clogged due to powder residue. There was no cleaning kits or hot water around to flush down the barrel. So I go to the big hot coffee container they had there and flush the barrel with that, worked! Now I come back missing the directions for the next set thinking we are still doing the last one. On Action I go tearing up the hill and everyone follows me. Director yells cut and is all ****** off he wanted us to do it this way. I played innocent and keep my mouth shut but nice to know everyone will follow me regardless HaHaHaHa.
You are obviously a natural leader. Or nobody else knew what to do either.

Back