NF Gettysburg film 1993...If you could include 1-2 more regiments...

Non-Fiction

Mr King

First Sergeant
I think Gettysburg film 1993 was one of the best movies ever made. The only scene I would change is when Gen. Armistead believed in the darwin's theory because that is not true for he was a christian man who believed in the Holy Bible. I've searched for this thread I created but it seems to be gone so I want to renew it.

If you could, at that time, include one or two additional regiments on both sides what would they be?

For me it would be the 26th NC regiment who had over 800 men and officers and fought in the 1st day in Heth's division- Pettigrew's brigade and suffered heavily against 2 Iron Brigade regiments with each numbered 400 men and officers who had the advantage of being experienced and hard seasoned veterans and were hidden in the ridge while it would be the 26th NC's first major combat fight who ended up suffering 577 casualties including Col. Burgwyn Jr. who was mortally wounded. I would provide and cover a good bit for them like Col. Joshua Chamberlain and his 20th Maine regiment received.

The 2nd regiment I would include would be the 1st Minn. Regiment who went into battle with 262 men and officers who charged and fought with great courage and valor to buy time for Gen. Hancock to bring up reinforcements and ended with only 47 men left after the charge(outnumbered) by the Confederates. Then I would include both of these 2 regiments on the 3rd day of battle for both were involved in Pickett's charge on the 3rd and last day of the battle. The 26th NC regiment actually made it over the stonewall but withdrew with the attack failed. The 1st Minn. regiment who was placed in the center of the Federal line made one more final charge against the Confederates and helped restore the line that was momentarily broken by the Confederates.

The 26th NC regiment ended up with about 80 men left and the 1st Minn ended up with 40 men left. Wow...God bless our troops both today and in our american history and I believe more importantly that we americans should bless God!

How about you?

Last edited:
1st Minnesota definitely. Also the first line starting this tread said "one of the best movies ever made"! Seriously? You need to get out more and watch more movies. I was an extra in both movies. The first one the in opening scene was a farb fest staring the fattest Confederate in the history of the CSA. The next movie was so bad (sadly) that it didn't last long in the Theaters and many Theaters didn't bother showing it. I remember having to travel a distance to see it. Which is why there was no 3rd movie sadly.

Awesome replies! I'd be delighted to hear from your words on these other units you would have covered in the movie AND how would you connect them to the film.

I think if the movie did Culp's Hill that might bring too much confusion especially for viewers who are new to this war period and you would have to have another set of actors to play military roles.

As for 1st Minn regiment, this would have been awesome for it would include Gen. Hancock the Superb. It was him who ordered the 1st Minn regiment to charge(an entire confederate brigade of Alabamians commanded by Gen Wilcox) and bought Hancock 30 minutes rather than 15 to bring up reenforcements before they withdrew(not run)back to their original position. It was also Hancock who saw the Confederates mounting troops against the Federal left flank so he was the one who sent troops to strengthen the left and taking Little Round Top. We would actually get to see Hancock in action for that night Gen. Armistead whom they loved as brothers asked Longstreet, "What do you hear about Hancock?" Longstreet replied, "Ran into him today. He's out there about a mile or so. He was tough. Very tough today." Armistead who esteemed him highly said, "He's the best they've got! God doesn't make them any better and that's a fact!"

As for 26th NC regiment commanded by Gen Pettigrew I'd like to see him in action with this regiment for it was him who shouted out to this regiment, "You've covered yourselves with glory!"(the name of the book titled Covered with Glory: The 26th NC regiment in Gettysburg) when the 26th NC regiment finally drove the federals out of the ridge on the first day.

Last edited:
I think Gettysburg film 1993 was one of the best movies ever made. The only scene I would change is when Gen. Armistead believed in the darwin's theory because that is not true for he was a christian man who believed in the Holy Bible. I've searched for this thread I created but it seems to be gone so I want to renew it.

If you could, at that time, include one or two additional regiments on both sides what would they be?

For me it would be the 26th NC regiment who had over 800 men and officers and fought in the 1st day in Heth's division- Pettigrew's brigade and suffered heavily against 2 Iron Brigade regiments with each numbered 400 men and officers who had the advantage of being experienced and hard seasoned veterans and were hidden in the ridge while it would be the 26th NC's first major combat fight who ended up suffering 577 casualties including Col. Burgwyn Jr. who was mortally wounded. I would provide and cover a good bit for them like Col. Joshua Chamberlain and his 20th Maine regiment received.

The 2nd regiment I would include would be the 1st Minn. Regiment who went into battle with 262 men and officers who charged and fought with great courage and valor to buy time for Gen. Hancock to bring up reinforcements and ended with only 47 men left after the charge(outnumbered) by the Confederates. Then I would include both of these 2 regiments on the 3rd day of battle for both were involved in Pickett's charge on the 3rd and last day of the battle. The 26th NC regiment actually made it over the stonewall but withdrew with the attack failed. The 1st Minn. regiment who was placed in the center of the Federal line made one more final charge against the Confederates and helped restore the line that was momentarily broken by the Confederates.

The 26th NC regiment ended up with about 80 men left and the 1st Minn ended up with 40 men left. Wow...God bless our troops both today and in our american history and I believe more importantly that we americans should bless God!

How about you?
Both are great choices and sad stories.

1st Minnesota definitely. Also the first line starting this tread said "one of the best movies ever made"! Seriously? You need to get out more and watch more movies. I was an extra in both movies. The first one the in opening scene was a farb fest staring the fattest Confederate in the history of the CSA. The next movie was so bad (sadly) that it didn't last long in the Theaters and many Theaters didn't bother showing it. I remember having to travel a distance to see it. Which is why there was no 3rd movie sadly.
These were both stinkers filmwise. Ride With The Devil was much better even if fictionalized. The 20th Maine scenes were oppressive. I agree about the balloons in the Confederacy. I felt embarrassed for the producers. Reenactments ard terrible for that. Cold Mountain had better looking Confederates. And the obvious women in uniform in some scenes ruined it for me also.

How about you?
I would have had the charge of Barkesdales Mississipians on the 2nd day and farthest penetration of Confederates of that battle.
Good question.

This is a rather tiresome and certainly redundant subject for a thread - why not just ask "What are your two favorite regiments that fought at Gettysburg - excluding of course the Twentieth Maine." (Of course because that's the ONLY regiment depicted in the film.) In order to be included in the film any unit - be it infantry or cavalry company, battalion, or regiment; or artillery battery - would by necessity HAVE to somehow advance the story. Regardless how wonderful, heroic, noble, or whatever, do ANY of the units so far put forward do that? No matter whether the first, last, farthest, or greatest, I sincerely doubt it.

I've pointed out before that the film largely exists by showing the activities of one or at most two examples of organization levels and their leaders: Regiment - 20th Maine; Brigade - Armistead's; Divisions - infantry - Pickett's, cavalry - Buford's; Corps - Longstreet's. Of course most of this is shown through the actions of their leaders, something more members of the audience could relate to. What other levels or units would appreciably advance the basic story of Gettysburg over what has already been depicted?

Last edited:
This is a rather tiresome and certainly redundant subject for a thread - why not just ask "What are your two favorite regiments that fought at Gettysburg - excluding of course the Twentieth Maine." (Of course because that's the ONLY regiment depicted in the film.) In order to be included in the film any unit - be it infantry or cavalry company, battalion, or regiment; or artillery battery - would by necessity HAVE to somehow advance the story. Regardless how wonderful, heroic, noble, or whatever, do ANY of the units so far put forward do that? No matter whether the first, last, farthest, or greatest, I sincerely doubt it.

I've pointed out before that the film largely exists by showing the activities of one or at most two examples of organizations and their leaders: Regiment - 20th Maine; Brigade - Armistead's; Divisions - infantry - Pickett's, cavalry - Buford's; Corps - Longstreet's. Of course most of this is shown through the actions of their leaders, something more members of the audience could relate to. What other levels or units would appreciably advance the basic story of Gettysburg over what has already been depicted?
Gettysburg is a very nuanced battle. The 20th Maine did awesome work. But they were not everything. Showing the Alabanans had no canteens would have been a nice detail but wouldn't advance the story either. This film is the boom Killer Andels put to film. We all know that. But even the officer who did lead the furthest penetration on Day 2 is listed in the credits. I still have not found what scene depicted him.
It was a long film covering a novel. It isn't even History. Martin Sheen did a fantastic job portraying the Lee from the book. It just isn't Lee from History. Lee having the runs from too much fresh fruit and possibly suffering a heart attack are not brought up either.
The question here is what things would make the film more complete. Cup's Hill is brought up but basically ignored other than Trimble *****ing about Well. You really get a sense of how important that position was nor how bloody the fighting was there. Its about famous or favorite regimental actions. Its just that some actions were very important and with this film about Confederates attacking the Union Right 1st Minnesota being left out is almost criminal. That's from me, a die hard Secessionist. Compliments to the Yankees of the 1st Minnesota. Hell of a fight they put in nobody can deny.
Back to the film being an adaptation of a novel and time length considerations the producers really didn't have much choice but to focus on the novel alone.
What is tiresome is people *****ing about what other people think about this and characterizing them with a personal ***** bias. Get some cheese to go with that whine.

Back