Gettysburg FANATICS

G

Gettysburg Class

I am a member of a high school class that is focusing only on the Battle of Gettysburg for three and a half weeks. Needless to say, after only a couple of hours we became completely impassioned and entranced with the infamous battle. Friday night is our presentation to the rest of the school. We plan on serving Civil War recipes such as Abe Lincoln's Pecan Pie, Robert E Lee Cake, cornbread, and Hard Tack (LOL:lee:) Also, the emoticons on this website are LIT!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has any fun facts about the Battle please comment down below, our class would greatly appreciate it!!!
We LOVE OUR FANSS!!!!!!!!! Gettysburg was the key to Union Success!!!:cannon::grant:

#PicketsCharge #LittleRoundTop #BlessUp #LetsGetIt

John Winn

Captain
I'm pleased to hear that young-uns like you are actually interested in the battle of Gettysburg. History seems to not get much attention or interest these days. Good on ya.

I'm not sure about "fun" facts but here's a couple of thingies to think about:

George Meade had only been in charge for a few days before encountering Lee at Gettysburg;

there was definitely going to be a fight somewhere in PA but Gettysburg wasn't planned - the two armies sort of stumbled into each other and so there's a bit of fate involved (as in many military things). Things might have turned out differently had Lee made it to Harrisburg before encountering Meade. What do you think would have happened if the battle had taken place elsewhere or Lee had taken the capital ?;

the cannonade preceding Pickett's charge (and BTW Pickett wasn't the only one - he just got stuck with the name) was the largest artillery bombardment in history at the time but largely ineffective. Why do you think it didn't work ?;

Dan Sickles came close to losing the battle for the Union at one point (peach orchard) but Meade was able to exploit his interior lines to close things up - it's a classic example of the military doctrines of the day concerning occupying the high ground and using interior lines. Those concepts might be worth a little examination;

most historians do not consider Gettysburg to have been the turning point even though it is often touted as such in popular culture (although it certainly was the farthest north the Confederacy got). We can now see that it was probably the beginning of the end but at the time nobody thought that. Lee was still in the field after Gettysburg and there were some horrendous fights in 1864. The Confederacy was not down and out. The fall of Atlanta was really the last straw. Do you think the Confederacy might have won a truce in 1864 ?.

Just some things to think about.

My best. I hope that provides a little something to contemplate and talk about.

Last edited: