Collection Gettysburg Excavated Alabama Volunteer Corp AVC Belt Plate

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Trying to get a bunch of stuff ready for the Franklin CW show in a few weeks and here is one of the rare pieces I will be taking. This AVC plate was dug in 1996 at the Lohr farm which was used as a CS hospital for the CS Army. The AVC was raised in March 1861 as part of the call for 10,000 troops from each Southern State. Once formed the went straight to Virginia and joined the ANV. This plate is purported to be the only AVC plate dug at Gettysburg. There were only a few AVC regiments in the ANV. After 2 1/2 year of battles and campaigns most of their equipment would have been replace, lost or discarded making this this a rare piece of Gettyburg history. I want to give a BIG Thanks to redbob for his help.
DSCN2215.JPG

DSCN2200.JPG

DSCN2202.JPG

DSCN2216.JPG

Trying to get a bunch of stuff ready for the Franklin CW show in a few weeks and here is one of the rare pieces I will be taking. This AVC plate was dug in 1996 at the Lohr farm which was used as a CS hospital for the CS Army. The AVC was raised in March 1861 as part of the call for 10,000 troops from each Southern State. Once formed the went straight to Virginia and joined the ANV. This plate is purported to be the only AVC plate dug at Gettysburg. There were only a few AVC regiments in the ANV. After 2 1/2 year of battles and campaigns most of their equipment would have been replace, lost or discarded making this this a rare piece of Gettyburg history. I want to give a BIG Thanks to redbob for his help.
View attachment 335849
View attachment 335847
View attachment 335848

View attachment 335850
This type of corrosion is typically related to decaying body fluids, I would imagine that by the time this soldier was taken to the field hospital he was already dead or nearly so and was buried rather quickly. Buckles found where Iverson's men were buried at Gettysburg look very similar (Iverson pits). When the bodies were disinterred years later, only the skull and long bones were usually taken for reburial. The buckle would have fallen into the pelvis or rib area and disregarded upon the transfer. Ironically, many of the individuals performing this work were black men, a couple of whom, became fairly wealthy performing this gruesome task for both sides.

This type of corrosion is typically related to decaying body fluids, I would imagine that by the time this soldier was taken to the field hospital he was already dead or nearly so and was buried rather quickly. Buckles found where Iverson's men were buried at Gettysburg look very similar (Iverson pits). When the bodies were disinterred years later, only the skull and long bones were usually taken for reburial. The buckle would have fallen into the pelvis or rib area and disregarded upon the transfer. Ironically, many of the individuals performing this work were black men, a couple of whom, became fairly wealthy performing this gruesome task for both sides.
A number of years ago, there was an article in the North South Trader on this subject which generated a great deal of buzz.

Ok, I've managed to narrow it down to Volume 13 and the article is The Question of Inside Out Buckles by Charles S. Harris. :thumbsup:
I know Charlie and will call him and see if I can get a copy of it.

I left Charlie a message and then followed up with an email.
I found it, thank you, I think it makes way too much sense, particularly the way Charlie explains it at the Stones River recoveries.
Can you scan the article and post?

The Lohr farm was used as a hospital by Henry Heth's Division, which only had two Alabama units in it: The 5th Alabama Battalion and 13th Alabama Regiment. There were undoubtedly more burials, since roughly half the division's wounded wound up here, but only 38 identified burials were afterwards recorded at this location, including one Alabama soldier: Private Burton S. Hardman, Company K, 13th Alabama, who was buried in the meadow opposite the (log) house. Hardman was shot in the throat and neck on July 3, and died at the Lohr farm on July 10; his effects were sent to his widow, Martha. The house burned down circa 1982. The hospital at the Lohr farm remained open for nearly two months, until the end of August.

Richard, a very nice item! When is the Franklin Show? @kilroy15 and I have discussed going to Franklin but I have had to save up for purchasing vittles as he is a fair eater!
Regards
David

Richard, a very nice item! When is the Franklin Show? @kilroy15 and I have discussed going to Franklin but I have had to save up for purchasing vittles as he is a fair eater!
Regards
David
Bad news, Franklin has been cancelled for this year and you don't have to tell me what an eater he is. Reminds me of me in my much younger days. And Richard can give you all the scoop on this plate's travels in recent times. :thumbsup:

Regards
David
I posted this last year so I don't know how it found its way back to the main board. As Bob says the Franklin show has been cancelled.

Back