Collection Gettysburg Civil War Collectors Show last weekend

Cornpone and Molasses

First Sergeant
Did anyone here attend? I didn’t pick up any new relics but I found a few books and magazines.

John Bell Hood’s Advance and Retreat (Hanover Brass Foundry Hood belt plate added for effect). Gary makes great belt plates!

A signed Mullinax Confederate belt plate book that I have wanted for a long time at a great price, some copies of North South Traders back issues for 5 bucks a pop and a couple of Riker display mounts. If you went please tell me how you liked it and please feel free to show your spoils of war from the show.
Thanks.

99302A56-0498-4B84-B035-0BA44F6DF9A4.jpeg

0EA9D4AB-9DF9-4EC1-8436-197F53740B52.jpeg

The signed Mullinax book was a score as I have 2 plates in there. I miss Steve, he was a great friend and digging buddy when ever I went that way. He is missed.

The signed Mullinax book was a score as I have 2 plates in there. I miss Steve, he was a great friend and digging buddy when ever I went that way. He is missed.
The book is everything that I thought it would be and then some! He sounds like he was a great guy. Must have been great times. Which plates are yours in the book?

The Gettysburg show of today isn't like shows of thirty and forty years ago. There were some interesting Confederate items if you looked closely.
I saw some pretty good CSA stuff. A few items really caught my attention and you’re right you do have to have your head on a swivel. What I did find sad was how poor the attendance was for this show. It also started to really thin out a few hours before it was scheduled to end.

I can't speak to forty years ago, but I can thirty! To me, the golden years of Gettysburg for visitors of our ilk, were the early to mid 1990s. There was the Civil War show, the book show (at the school off Baltimore), the 97th Regimental String Band playing at The Conflict and anywhere else they could muster a crowd and so forth. In that time frame, everything occurred during the week around the battle.

I can't speak to forty years ago, but I can thirty! To me, the golden years of Gettysburg for visitors of our ilk, were the early to mid 1990s. There was the Civil War show, the book show (at the school off Baltimore), the 97th Regimental String Band playing at The Conflict and anywhere else they could muster a crowd and so forth. In that time frame, everything occurred during the week around the battle.
I only ever attended one, and that now exactly forty years ago in July, 1981, following participation in one of the SVR's Gettysburg reenactments I've described here before: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/gettysburg-1981.101989/ That, plus our unit's marathon week-long march from Martinsburg https://civilwartalk.com/threads/roads-to-gettysburg-summer-1981.101846/ had destroyed my feet and therefore my ability to enjoy the show. Also, at the time I had NO disposable cash to spend anyway, since the trip and reenacting in general had already used it up. That was really too bad because what of it I saw as I painfully hobbled around looked WONDERFUL!

I saw some pretty good CSA stuff. A few items really caught my attention and you’re right you do have to have your head on a swivel. What I did find sad was how poor the attendance was for this show. It also started to really thin out a few hours before it was scheduled to end.
I have had the pleasure of traveling with @ucvrelics to a number Civil War Relic shows this Summer and with the exception of the two shows in Mississippi (Brandon and Corinth), I too have been surprised at the lack of attendance by the public to these shows and the general lack of artillery objects (which is where my interest lies). At what was supposed to be one of the "biggest" shows at Marietta, on Sunday; the dealers outnumbered the public which was very surprising and disappointing. I guess that between the political correctness atmosphere and the internet; the days of the "big" shows have passed which I find very sad. Also, at least one show has announced that it will only cut back to only one day which hopefully will not be the trend. The best part of the shows for me is seeing old friends and being able to put faces with names (usually the ones I have written checks to). It is enjoyable to watch the "old" pros like @ucvrelics work though.

Back